Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 10:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I being a hypocrite
Am I being a hypocrite
Hello all and hope you're all well.

Just want to pose a dillema that many of you will have come across.

I don't believe in an afterlife, however a close friend of mines' boyfriend has recently died, and when she asks me what I think, I find myself assuring her that I'm sure he's somewhere where they can both meet up when she dies.

Am I being a hypocrite, a coward or should I stand by and voice my real belief.

Thanks for listening

Chris
Archeologists near mount Sinai have discovered what is believed to be a
missing page from the Bible. The page is currently being carbon dated in
Bonn. If genuine it belongs at the beginning of the Bible and is believed to
read "To my darling Candy. All characters portrayed within this book are
fictitous and any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely
coincidental." - Newsreader in 'Red Dwarf 2: Better Than Life'
RE: Am I being a hypocrite
When I was in that situation, I answered "I don't know" and similar sentiments and left it at that. It's not very comforting but it was as far as I was prepared to go. But, that doesn't mean you should do the same. It is your choice, you will have to deal with it. I am sorry for her loss.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
You're only a hypocrite if you are espousing such a belief when you don't actually believe it. There is a line between doing that and what you are doing here, which is comforting someone by telling them a white lie.
Yes.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
^

It may be the kind thing to do... but that doesn't stop it from being hypocritical. Similarly, that isn't always a 'bad' thing Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
It's not heaven then (coz u don't meet up LOL Smile ). Yeh it'z hypocritical.. I've done it in the past and you just feel shit about it after.

Personally I think it's crock. Then I find myself imagining ppl I've know that have died are watching.
Maybe to a certain degree you are but only to yourself. you don't have to believe it. We all feel obligated to console others in such a way.
you're right in saying we have probably all been in this situation. I personally had to comfort my 7 year old neice once when my father died. She simply could'nt make head nor tails of death, so i told her he was'nt really gone, that he was watching over her, blah blah, maybe I believe its a facade, a fantasy like any other, but it made a difference she no longer worries about it, maybe some might say i was wrong, i'll admit it was hvpocritical but who am i to tell a child that he's just dead, gone forever. who am i to tell an adult the same thing in their moments of grief just because its simply what i believe. Our minds are prone to our own self delusions when we are touched by death. I've observed my own such delusions over this last couple of year since my father passed away. Some people need some form of saftey net not just in this situation but in life itself.
So don't beat yourself up over it you're probably doing the right thing YOU HYPOCRITE!!!
To look is not to see,
to see is looked on in thy soul.

I bid MCMXCIXDevil
deicide110 Wrote:We all feel obligated to console others in such a way.
Speak for yourself there Smile

You're probably someone with a grasp on reality. 'Bad' things happen... and people (including children) shouldn't need to invent fantasies to pretend they aren't true. It only makes it worse later on when they realize (what is likely) the truth. :S
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
the whole situation is difficult... I'm not sure what I would do, but you are lying when you're telling someone you think there is an afterlife and don't believe it. Perhaps I agree with Tiberius in the sense that you could still say 'I HOPE there is an afterlife and you'll meet with your loved one again' I wonder if I'll get the change to try every different scenario and see how they turn out.

'She's hopefully in a better place now' (can be interpreted by a theist as 'maybe she in hell' [not knowing you don't believe in the afterlife])
'She's definitely in hell given that according to certain verses in the Bible so few go to heaven'
'I'm an atheist, I believe that death is a termination of consciousness. I hope she died at ease though.'

note: atheists may believe in the afterlife. just because you're an atheist, doesn't mean you don't believe in an afterlife, though atheists usually don't believe in the afterlife. I'm just questioning choice of words here, i'm not trying to say that you believe in the afterlife and just don't know it.
All talk of an afterlife is just bollocks. Sympathy isn't talking shit - it's offering realistic comfort... stuff like we remember the good times, note the persons influence, ... focussing on the positives and celebrating the life rather than letting our loss stop us functioning. Pointing out the necessity for grief and tears and the healing properties of that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Being a sinner just for being born mlmooney89 110 15544 June 14, 2016 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Has being gay become more socially acceptable than being an atheist? TaraJo 25 5015 March 3, 2014 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  Trying not to be a hypocrite... Captain Jack Zodiac 35 12135 August 10, 2012 at 7:18 am
Last Post: Faith No More