Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 4:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Fragility of Religion/God
The Fragility of Religion/God
Pretty sure some version of this has been brought up before. But I've read enough whiny bs on the forum I feel it's worth some discussion. Put simply, god doesn't seem to have any balls. (god is a girl?)

The slightest challenge to religion requires the most ferocious response.

Reading/studying anything that contradicts religion is forbidden. (Or anything contradicting originated from the devil, therefore no go)

If a religious person can't come up with good rebuttal, then we usually degenerate into derail or irrelevant tangents.

Why does god require so much defense? Why are christians (or any religion) so damn scared of other opinions? If your god is supposedly so powerful, why all the effort showing otherwise?
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
RE: The Fragility of Religion/God
I often wonder about the kind of religionist that spends their time yelling at atheists, purposely seeking out atheist forums, when they could be chatting congenially with people of like mind on the appropriate forums or at their temples, or even better, doing good works like feeding the homeless, working at a shelter, etc. I've come to the conclusion that what a great many, maybe even most of them are doing is not shouting us down, but shouting down their own doubts about their religion, their own growing disbelief, their fears and their insecurities.
...it is common knowledge that the upper third, centered in Flagstaff, is Alta Arizona; the lower third, centered in Tucson, is Baja Arizona; and the middle third, centered in Phoenix, is Caca Arizona. Simple as ABC...

http://www.bandersnatch.com/bajaz.htm
If something is questioned or challenged even slightly, it promotes more questions and challenges unless dealt with harshly. Christianity in particular has some glaring inconsistencies so they must be particularly severe when it comes to people questioning their religion.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R Tolkien
(March 28, 2015 at 5:02 pm)Spooky Wrote: Why does god require so much defense? Why are christians (or any religion) so damn scared of other opinions? If your god is supposedly so powerful, why all the effort showing otherwise?

More importantly, if the truth is so fucking evident, why have the majority of all people to ever live missed it?!?
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
History already pokes major holes in religion science does too even critical thinking.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(March 28, 2015 at 5:19 pm)Tobie Wrote: If something is questioned or challenged even slightly, it promotes more questions and challenges unless dealt with harshly. Christianity in particular has some glaring inconsistencies so they must be particularly severe when it comes to people questioning their religion.

This.

If someone actually believed a true religion, then questioning it and examining it could never disprove it.  It is because religions are false that they need protection from careful examination.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
It's always a bad sign when one of the worst sins you can commit is heresy. Which means disagreement with the religion. In some circles that's the one unforgivable sin, probably because a truly skeptical person is the hardest to convert, and if they don't convert they can't be forgiven.

The truth always holds up to scrutiny over time. Ultimate truth should not be afraid of questions, and attempts to break it apart.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

It's very true. Religion rules by emotion, not logic. It cashes in on unfalsifiable propositions and fails utterly when it tries to tiptoe outside that safe haven.

Going to straight to emotional responses is a sure sign you're covering your insecurities.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(March 28, 2015 at 9:58 pm)Chad32 Wrote: It's always a bad sign when one of the worst sins you can commit is heresy. Which means disagreement with the religion. In some circles that's the one unforgivable sin, probably because a truly skeptical person is the hardest to convert, and if they don't convert they can't be forgiven.

The truth always holds up to scrutiny over time. Ultimate truth should not be afraid of questions, and attempts to break it apart.

The second thing Moses did after he got the Ten Commandments was to kill everyone in his group who didn't agree with his religious delusions and wanted to follow their own religious fairy tales.   
Yeah, that is a briliant story Smile We are told that if we "find God" then we will automatically worship him forever. But even in his own book, they get bored of him and worship something else when he turns his back for five minutes.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10715 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4905 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19811 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49302 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19363 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5186 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused