Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This is crazy
This is crazy
Devotees in the fervently Catholic Philippines marked Good Friday by being nailed to crosses and whipping their backs bloody, in extreme acts of devotion that attracted thousands of spectators.

Quote:As the flagellants made an excruciatingly slow barefoot march to the hill in San Juan, a rural district of San Fernando north of Manila where the crucifixions were to take place, some of them stopped at times to lay face down on the hot pavement and let children flog them with twigs.

Five men had nails hammered through their palms and feet while four others, some with fake beards drawn on their faces to resemble Christ, were tied to the crosses.
They wailed in pain as attendants, costumed as Roman centurions, pounded the nails through their palms.

I've known many deeply devout believers, but this is a completely new level. It's insane. I had to check the date to see if this wasn't some kind of April Fools joke.

The fact that some would voluntarily mutilate their bodies like this and put themselves through such torture in the name of some deity is absolutely terrifying to me. The particularly disturbing part, if one can be differentiated from all this madness is that children were taking part in this apparently annual ritual. If that doesn't mess them up, I don't know what would.

And they even manage to make money out of it.

Quote:San Fernando Mayor Edwin Santiago openly conceded that the religious ritual has vast economic benefits for the community.

“We don’t have the exact record of the money… but for sure the Good Friday activities help our locals in their businesses,” he said.

Well, since you shall love your neighbour as yourself, I'd pack my shit and leave immediately if I was your neighbor.
RE: This is crazy
Thank goodness Christians aren't crazy like those Muslims Wink
Sweet gorilla of manila!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Insanity knows no limits. This is much more masochistic than islamic extremism, though. Still appalling. The article mentions tourists who got blood splattered over their clothing while watching the ritual... just... no words.
They did the same thing every year (though not to such an extreme) in Guam during the six years I lived there. Hindus do some pretty nasty stuff of that type too. I say let them knock themselves out. At least they aren't hurting other people.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(April 3, 2015 at 3:53 pm)AFTT47 Wrote: They did the same thing every year (though not to such an extreme) in Guam during the six years I lived there. Hindus do some pretty nasty stuff of that type too. I say let them knock themselves out. At least they aren't hurting other people.

Well, at least it's voluntary... but still, what drives a person to do something like this?

My mind is full of fuck.
(April 3, 2015 at 3:27 pm)Norman Humann Wrote: ...
I've known many deeply devout believers, but this is a completely new level. ...

It isn't new at all.  It has been going on for many years.

Also, other forms of "mortification of the flesh" has been practiced for a very, very long time:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortificat..._the_flesh

But yes, it is pretty crazy.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
They do this every year. The Moslems also have their own celebration where they perform similar self mortification, but I forgot the name of it.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
(April 3, 2015 at 3:59 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: It isn't new at all.  It has been going on for many years.

Also, other forms of "mortification of the flesh" has been practiced for a very, very long time:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortificat..._the_flesh

But yes, it is pretty crazy.

I know, but it's news to me, I've never heard about it before.

(April 3, 2015 at 3:59 pm)Polaris Wrote: They do this every year. The Moslems also have their own celebration where they perform similar self mortification, but I forgot the name of it.

So... is it safe to assume that self-mutilation is a common practice among religions?
That and self-deprivation.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Yeah He's Crazy But In A Nice Way Minimalist 21 6272 July 2, 2017 at 2:15 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  What Happens When Religion Meets Crazy! Minimalist 4 949 August 30, 2016 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  How crazy is Jim Caviezel? Fake Messiah 56 12099 July 16, 2016 at 1:51 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Random Thoughts on Hell: Daddy's Crazy Athene 47 8828 September 18, 2015 at 10:04 am
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Crazy shit from ezekiel. Brakeman 55 13780 August 25, 2015 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Crazy faith healer sparky 6 3234 March 5, 2013 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: Kayenneh
  Do You Think Christians Are Crazy and Delusional Or Just Plain Thick? Xavier 43 17802 February 3, 2012 at 7:31 am
Last Post: Zen Badger
  Another Crazy Christian Jaysyn 20 6079 April 21, 2011 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Jaysyn