Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About Islam
About Islam
Hi everyone.
So I became an Atheist recently. And I'm just making a quick study on most widely spread religions. Could anyone just give me a few "Hints" what is the Quaran about, and the basic ideas of Islam. Just so I can make a general Image of the entire thing.

Thank you all, sorry if post in wrong place or something.
RE: About Islam
Hello, welcome Smile

We have some guys here very well versed (haha!) on the Quran who I'm sure can tell you everything you need to know. I won't confuse things with my limited understanding. It's a screwed up book rivalling the bible in sheer hatred towards anyone who doesn't submit to their God.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Quote:And I'm just making a quick study on most widely spread religions.

They are all pretty much the same:

"Do what this guy in the funny hat says because 'god' talks to  him and tells him what he wants him to tell you.  Yeah...that's the ticket.

Oh, and give him some money, too."

Memorize that and you will have all religion in a nutshell....with the emphasis on the "nut."

Welcome aboard.
Ha ha Big Grin

Well, I pretty much know the "nutshell" of any religion. I passed through this, and put a lot of thought into all this stuff.

But you know, the more I think about religion, the more I need to know about it. First of all, so I can have a good argument against it. And then, It's never bad to know something)

But hey, thanks anyways for taking your time and replying Smile
Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!

But He loves you. He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money!
~George Carlin
(April 18, 2015 at 2:32 am)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:And I'm just making a quick study on most widely spread religions.

They are all pretty much the same:

"Do what this guy in the funny hat says because 'god' talks to  him and tells him what he wants him to tell you.  Yeah...that's the ticket.

Oh, and give him some money, too."

Memorize that and you will have all religion in a nutshell....with the emphasis on the "nut."

Welcome aboard.
Nuh huh! Buddhism isn't like tha-
[Image: kalachakra1.jpg]

OOOOOOOOOOHHHH!!
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
Muslims claim to believe that god sent an angel to a pervert merchant who liked to nap in caves and screw 9 year olds. While sleeping this angel delivered the fucking Koran which the merchant then repeated back to some guys who could write verbatim.

If you believe that you'll believe just about anything. Almost as stupid as xtianity.
The Quran has many themes. The early Meccan Surahs were mostly concentrated on the issue of Oneness of God, there being no sons or daughters, there being no intercessor to be called on constantly to intercede for you with God, not making up religious practices and forbidding and allowing from your opinions things you don't know, the reminder that they accept God as the one who regulates the affairs so why do they pray to intercessors beside him, the reminder they know intercession of his chosen ones only occur through is permission and intercession is wholly God's affair, so why do they pray to other then God, the reminders of God's Ultimate Greatness and Unique Eternal being above having anything near his rank and creation being all encompassed by number.

The reminder of the path of devotion and sincerity to him, there being utmost sincere servants, God choosing them as guides, and God communication and verifying the truth and judging the differences with his words, warnings, and giving of glad tidings.  The reminder to be with the veracious, the saints, and to look for the best servants and the party of God on earth.

The mystic reminders of God's Name and his light, the nature of darkness and light, the source of blessings, the one who judges our souls and gives value to our souls and makes inherit our actions while forgiving and erasing much evil through his forbearance and mercy, the reality of the inner kingdom of the universe, the spiritual journey of unveiling, vision of God, reminder of the one who praise belongs to, the treasures of God in every soul, and the outward and the inward.

God's Names, his holy attributes, the perfect beauty of all his names revealing one essence.

The rule of justice, the rule of implementing what God revealed.

The designation of the family of Mohammad, making the wage of the message to be their love and the path to God, commanding to their obedience, and making their station known that God doesn't desire to keep anything away from their holy souls except the uncleanness and neither desiring to remove a single of his blessings that he blessed upon them while he purifies them a thorough purification. Also showing the wisdom of their designation by chosen families.

Some of the wise laws by God.

The theme of helping God and his Messenger, responding to fight the oppressors, inclining to peace if people incline to peace, being strong in the struggle against those who fight and oppress people unjustly, and listening to and submitting to the commands of his Messenger and thereby by extension to the Ulil-Amr (Those whom possess the command).

The day of judgement, it's reality, what is to take place, the heaven and hell, the reason of disbelievers being condemned (ie. rejecting clear evidence while knowing it, preferring falsehood over the truth, hating God's revelation and his pleasure etc).

Blindness and sight of the hearts, hearing wisdom and majesty and not hearing it, being sincere to the truth or not. 

The emphasis of God as the greater reward, the wisdom of the evils and trials we face, and the purpose of life.

The Guide in the Unseen journey by the Command of God, the station of the witnesses and Imams.

There is more but I thought this covers the gist of it.
Wow, that's something more. Thank you very much for taking your time, and writing all this. IT should be it, for now.

Though, as an atheist, I really want to ask you one question, if you don't mind.

What in the world is this: " ...disbelievers being condemned (ie. rejecting clear evidence while knowing it... ".

Sorry if this offends you or something. But come again, what exactly is the "clear evidence". And is there any evidence AT ALL? For Any religion?

Thank you again for you time and attention. Have a nice day everyone Smile
Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!

But He loves you. He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money!
~George Carlin
(April 18, 2015 at 4:03 pm)Etrius Wrote: Wow, that's something more. Thank you very much for taking your time, and writing all this. IT should be it, for now.
Though, as an atheist, I really want to ask you one question, if you don't mind.
What in the world is this: " ...disbelievers being condemned (ie. rejecting clear evidence while knowing it... ".
Sorry if this offends you or something. But come again, what exactly is the "clear evidence". And is there any evidence AT ALL? For Any religion?
Thank you again for you time and attention. Have a nice day everyone Smile
I will give you an example. The Quran says the truth came to Pharaoh and his chiefs, when Moses turned his staff into a snake and then turned it back to a his stick. When Musa said I am a Messenger of God, it didn't mean the truth came. When he reminded of the true Creator, it didn't mean the truth came to them. The truth came to them meant when they were aware of Signs of God regarding Moses being sent, clear proofs, and went against it.
The Quran being a miracle you have to study Arabic to know that. Obviously people who don't know Arabic cannot be expected to see the eloquence of Quran and it's miracle. 
Moreover almost all translations of Quran destroy a key component of the message and one of it's themes. Aside from that there aare things to be reflected about but Satanic forces put locks on the hearts...but during Mohammad time, he interpreted the book with them, and even appointed Ali as the door to the house of wisdom, saying he (Mohammad) is the house of wisdom or the city of the knowledge, and Ali it's door/gate. That is because Ali was like Harun to Musa, better at conveying the higher truths, but Ali was not a Prophet.
Therefore how can we expect people who don't know the teachings of Ali that compliment the Quran to know it's spiritual deepness and the last Imam being hidden now, there is much missing from their knowledge in our books, to know the Quran is true from it's spiritual dimension or people not knowing Arabic knowing the superiority of the Quran to human language. 
Likewise, although there are rational reasons for people not knowing Arabic to believe in the Quran, that is to not say people not presented a clear proof are termed disbelievers.
Disbelievers in Quran is very clear, it's regarding rejecting clear signs of God when the truth becomes manifest to them, to become arrogant towards the truth and preferring blindness over sight.

And you welcome. Sorry forgot to say that in the beginning.
I see what you mean. And I agree, It would be very difficult for me, as someone who was previously a christian and now atheist, to understand The Quran. But I repeat my question.

Clear Evidence ?

The Quran, The Bible, The Vedas. It doesn't matter which one, they are all books written by man. "Harry Potter" is also a book. Doesn't mean I should believe Harry is a God and De Morte is some kind of Satan or Evil. Because it wouldn't make sense. So please, don't use a Holy Book as an argument when debating with an atheist. It is definetely a lost argument. A written book is not evidence to a diety. It's just a book.

~George Carlin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Liberal Movement in Islam or Western Islam, the fight against islamic extremism Ashendant 16 7729 December 20, 2019 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  IS: "Islam was never a religion of peace. Islam is the religion of fighting" Napoléon 11 5421 May 15, 2015 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Hatshepsut
  Anti-Islam Dutch politician converts to Islam Muslim Scholar 58 33617 May 16, 2013 at 5:48 pm
Last Post: Violet