Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 9:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternate History
Alternate History
I enjoy the entirely pointless speculation of alternative history.

One of my favourites is: What if England had won the US war of Independence? They actually came close. What if they had arrested the major signaturies to the Declaration of Independence?

A few issues spring to mind: American expansionism;The Spanish American War,Texas, California, the Louisiana purchase, Alaska, Hawaii.

As part of The British Commonwealth, the US would have entered WW1 in 1914 and WW2 in 1939.

My perception is the loss America as an unmitigated disaster for Britain at the very least.
RE: Alternate History
If that happened the British wouldn't have needed Australia for a penal colony and you would now be one of us!
(April 6, 2010 at 9:28 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: If that happened the British wouldn't have needed Australia for a penal colony and you would now be one of us!

One of whom? You mean British? Australian by birth, Irish Celt by blood ,I'd rather eat my own scrotum.Angel
Aww... it's not that bad being a 'Brit' y'know. Actually, I think it's rather jolly good old chap. Tea and scones anyone?

EvF
(April 7, 2010 at 1:21 am)padraic Wrote:
(April 6, 2010 at 9:28 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: If that happened the British wouldn't have needed Australia for a penal colony and you would now be one of us!

One of whom? You mean British? Australian by birth, Irish Celt by blood ,I'd rather eat my own scrotum.Angel

I meant American. Which part of your body would you eat rather than being American?
Quote:I meant American. Which part of your body would you eat rather than being American?

Wouldn't need to bother. I'd probably get shot in the head over a parking space or be done in by some redneck due to my atheism.Angel Cloud
(April 7, 2010 at 10:41 am)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: I meant American. Which part of your body would you eat rather than being American?

My dick.......

Though, come to think of it, if I could do that I wouldn't need a girlfriendCool Shades
Getting back to the thread,

What if Germany had won the First World War?
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
I like yours Padraic, I think a lot about silly ponderings like that. I think if Britain had won the war against America, that would be interesting. I don't think she could have held the colony forever though, I think the revolution was inevitable. People kind of shirk English rule, it's a popular thing to do. What about if they had won the war of 1812? Or France had won, but I suppose they go hand in hand. That what makes you mention of the Louisiana purchase interesting, is how two sided it is...

I'm there for unrelenting hatred of the british. If I woke up a brit, there would be problems. Féadfaidh Maggie Thatcher, do chroí fuar dhó in ifreann.

-Pip
Pippy Wrote:I'm there for unrelenting hatred of the british. If I woke up a brit, there would be problems. Féadfaidh Maggie Thatcher, do chroí fuar dhó in ifreann.

-Pip

Pippy speaks elvish.

Arent you being a bit harsh on us brits.
What have we ever done to you, (not your ancestors) to you.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(April 9, 2010 at 11:54 am)downbeatplumb Wrote:
Pippy Wrote:I'm there for unrelenting hatred of the british. If I woke up a brit, there would be problems. Féadfaidh Maggie Thatcher, do chroí fuar dhó in ifreann.

-Pip

Pippy speaks elvish.

Arent you being a bit harsh on us brits.
What have we ever done to you, (not your ancestors) to you.

Setting up a situation such that we have present day America, thrashing with things like Bush? Talk about dead British affecting us personally today. Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a continent in history where Britain never went too? Sweden83 21 1158 December 5, 2020 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Kamala Harris makes history Foxaèr 5 498 August 21, 2020 at 10:31 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  The biggest crime in the history of humanity WinterHold 16 2744 September 22, 2017 at 7:04 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  History and some of the atrocities associated with it ErGingerbreadMandude 0 407 September 14, 2017 at 11:26 pm
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  America drops "largest non-nuclear bomb in history" on Afganistan Aroura 77 12065 April 17, 2017 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  History of the electoral college READ.... Brian37 20 2215 November 15, 2016 at 3:09 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  No wonder students don't know history... Minimalist 21 5548 July 5, 2014 at 8:27 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  History and the use of religion by political powers KichigaiNeko 23 5466 January 4, 2014 at 9:25 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
Video A thousand years of bloody English history Cyberman 1 972 October 7, 2013 at 8:20 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  History of the internet atheist movement. Brian37 2 1507 September 27, 2013 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: Brian37