Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 8:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This Thing Is a Flying Pig
This Thing Is a Flying Pig
When it actually flies, that is.

http://www.govexec.com/defense/2015/05/f...c_today_nl

Quote:The Pentagon watchdog, in an April 27 report on quality management for the F-35 Lightning II being manufactured chiefly by Lockheed Martin and Pratt & Whitney, found 61 “nonconformities,” or violations of regulatory requirements affecting engine issues such as software. Oversight by the department’s Joint Program Office was deemed insufficient, and safety requirements were not met in areas such as parts and supplier identification. The program office “did not ensure that Pratt & Whitney proactively identified, elevated, tracked, and managed [engine] program risks, in accordance with the [engine program] risk management plan,” the IG found.

[Image: Cartoon%20F35.jpg]
RE: This Thing Is a Flying Pig
No, this is a flying pig!

[Image: article_1317039714753_0e16bebf00000578_778651_63.jpg]

image hosting
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

It is not going to be a good fighter plane.

What would have happened with the money if it weren't shoved up corporate ass anyway? Something as appaling as feeding the poor or providing healthcare and education for the needy is out of the question when there's a shiny new war toy on the shopping list.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
This program is definitely a fucking mess, there can be no denying.

I'm a far-left guy when it comes to social issues but center-right when it comes to defense - like my gal, Hillary! So I have to say that while the program was mismanaged in the way only bureaucrats can do, we need to stick with it. The problems will get ironed out - just WAY over-budget. That sucks but if you don't like the USA as the wold police, how much do you think you'll like the Chinese in the same role?

The F35 program has a lot of parallels to the program to develop the Bradley Fighting Vehicle. That disaster was the subject of a revealing movie called Pentagon Wars. Google it. It was a comical (and tragic from the viewpoint of the tax-payer) mess that was eventually made right (sort-of). We do have a viable product today although at a cost that would make baby Jesus cry. I suspect it will be the same with the F-35.

It sucks but who would you rather have calling the shots? Murrica or China?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(May 7, 2015 at 2:55 pm)AFTT47 Wrote: It sucks but who would you rather have calling the shots? Murrica or China?

From where I'm standing, both options seem equally appealing. Like the difference between catching the flu and having the shits.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Manned aircraft are fast becoming obsolete.
(May 7, 2015 at 2:55 pm)AFTT47 Wrote: This program is definitely a fucking mess, there can be no denying.

I'm a far-left guy when it comes to social issues but center-right when it comes to defense - like my gal, Hillary! So I have to say that while the program was mismanaged in the way only bureaucrats can do, we need to stick with it. The problems will get ironed out - just WAY over-budget. That sucks but if you don't like the USA as the wold police, how much do you think you'll like the Chinese in the same role?

The F35 program has a lot of parallels to the program to develop the Bradley Fighting Vehicle. That disaster was the subject of a revealing movie called Pentagon Wars. Google it. It was a comical (and tragic from the viewpoint of the tax-payer) mess that was eventually made right (sort-of). We do have a viable product today although at a cost that would make baby Jesus cry. I suspect it will be the same with the F-35.

It sucks but who would you rather have calling the shots? Murrica or China?

As it is, the plane will need upgrading out of the box to keep up with the J-11D that China is rolling out.

All good arguments. But would you like "Murrica" to get out of the game and leave it to the Chinese? What kind of world do you think that would lead to?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
It was a project too ambitious to be successful.

To try and pander to the needs of all three flying forces. You needed STOVL for the Marines, a normal platform for USAF, and a larger wing surface and reinforced landing gear for the Navy. The avionics was ahead of its time 10 years ago, and now is too buggy and got cut down to a point where it would be current 10 years ago.

What a disaster. But you have to build a new platform to enhance your capabilities to retain air superiority. I think this is a lesson of too many cooks combined with too big for your britches.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  This has to be the most chilling thing he has done. Brian37 29 1674 September 8, 2020 at 9:40 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  is this whole thing a cover up? a wag the dog situation? Drich 34 2023 June 5, 2020 at 9:32 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  This thing, called bum, I kinda hate it.... Brian37 16 1936 May 8, 2020 at 8:54 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Trouble flying Fake Messiah 8 435 February 14, 2020 at 6:02 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  They Haven't Learned A Thing! Minimalist 1 356 December 3, 2018 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Little rant regarding the kneeling thing. Chad32 51 5481 September 10, 2018 at 10:14 am
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Some people trying to do the right thing just can't win brewer 9 2459 June 28, 2017 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  The worst thing about Italian earthquake... Fake Messiah 49 5530 August 28, 2016 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: Joods