Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Craziest Religious Belief/Craziest Belief You've Ever Heard of
Your Craziest Religious Belief/Craziest Belief You've Ever Heard of
What was your craziest belief that you had while in your religion and/or what is the craziest religious belief that you have ever heard of?

My craziest belief, as a catholic, was actually believing in a lot of the virgin mary apparitions. One in particular, was the one in Fatima, Portugal. I believed that the virgin mary appeared to the 3 children and told them she would perform the miracle. This miracle had 70,000 "witnesses" who had witnessed the sun dance around the sky. I never believed the sun actually had moved, but I thought god actually made them see it this way. I was a goof.

One of the craziest beliefs that I have heard, is in scientology. Once you pay your way to Operating Level Three (OT III), you gain the knowledge to get rid of the murdered body thetan aliens that are attached to you, and contained within your body. You learn to telepathically find them and get rid of them, so you don't suffer from their negative effects.

One of the most disturbing things I have ever heard of, is practiced in judaism. It's not too mainstream, as far as I understand it, but here it is. It's #4 on the countdown. http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-stories-th...on-insane/
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' -Isaac Asimov-
RE: Your Craziest Religious Belief/Craziest Belief You've Ever Heard of
Believing in a literal interpretation of the bible. Granted this was when I was a kid, and was brought up on believing there's a rabbit that hides eggs in my yard every year, and a guy who lives in the north pole that brings me presents every year. The craziest beliefs I've heard of? You could call that Top 10 Things from FSTDT.

I grew up on a liberal to moderate version of christianity, so i don't think we were all that crazy compared to other theists. Though any adult that wholeheartedly believes in this stuff is at least a little crazy.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Craziest belief:

Cherry picking scriptures.

Like YOU know better than GOD ?!?!?!?!

Give me a break, there ain't NO WAY that is gonna fly with the big guy, and you're going to be in Satan's red hot cement mixer with red hot bowling balls and razor blades FOR FUCKING EVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I'd tell you, but I don't want you calling the appropriate services on my ass
Transubstantiation.  As kids, we were told that the bread and wine of the Eucharist were transformed into the flesh and blood, respectively, of Jesus Christ. 

I can still recall when this nonsense came to a head.  At Sunday School, one of my older brothers and I were in the class being lectured to regarding this.  My brother - who was utterly fearless when it came to clergy (I wouldn't develop that admirable trait until much later) - asked that if he vomited up the Eucharist, would it look like bread and wine or would it look like human flesh and blood.  The nun informed him that to all outward appearances, it would look like bread and wine, but the underlying reality would be the flesh and blood of the Saviour.   Alec knew that would be the answer.  He reached into his pocket, pulled out a penny piece and said, 'Sister, this may look like an ordinary penny, but the underlying reality is that it is my Scripture assignment for the week.'  The nun told Alec he was being impious and called him a few mild invectives.  Alec replied that he was only impious to outward appearances - he was actually, in some underlying reality, a large pickled squash.

Alec dug himself a deep, deep hole over that episode.  He was punished at school, and Da meted out extra chores for him.  Not because he didn't believe in the magic trick, but because he was snotty to an elderly nun. 

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I've never been religious enough to believe very crazy religious things.

I once believed that teflon isolated ultrapure copper speaker cables really do sound better.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(May 9, 2015 at 1:47 pm)Alex K Wrote: I've never been religious enough to believe very crazy religious things.

I once believed that teflon isolated ultrapure copper speaker cables really do sound better.

Really?  I've never once noticed a difference in the sound coming from speaker cables. 

Now, the sound coming from the actual speakers...

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 9, 2015 at 1:50 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(May 9, 2015 at 1:47 pm)Alex K Wrote: I've never been religious enough to believe very crazy religious things.

Really?  I've never once noticed a difference in the sound coming from speaker cables. 

Now, the sound coming from the actual speakers...

Boru

If you haven't noticed an improvement, it's because you're not yet refined enough in your taste or hearing to appreciate the true audiophile essence. Or so they would tell doubters. Of course there is no difference - if you use a reasonable gauge and length of wire. But the powers of suggestion are strong, and if you hook up the new thing and concentrate and expect improved staging, air between instruments and less colouration, you will hear a difference.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I never really had religious beliefs but I used to believe aliens had visited Earth and were still doing so.

As to the craziest belief, it's hard to get any crazier than Noah's Arc or the creation myth in Genesis.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
I think the question is impossible to answer.  Once one reaches total batshit crazy, there is no crazier one can get.  There are, unfortunately, many, many different examples of total batshit crazy.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questions for your Religious friends. johndoe122931 100 5011 June 5, 2021 at 9:04 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5092 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Have you Heathens heard the Good News? The Valkyrie 71 11104 January 26, 2018 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: rado84
  Would you as an atheist EVER do this? Alexmahone 41 6365 December 6, 2017 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  Do You Ever Miss God? Rhondazvous 75 20377 May 20, 2017 at 4:33 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  How religious or nonreligious is your family? Casca 44 4150 December 30, 2016 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: camlov2019
  Your experiences dating religious people Casca 28 4319 October 31, 2016 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Have you ever actually heard an response that made you stop and think? jmoney_419 32 5264 September 23, 2016 at 2:36 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  A loose “theory” of the dynamics of religious belief Bunburryist 6 1659 August 14, 2016 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Bunburryist
  Is Lack of Belief the Best You Can Do? Neo-Scholastic 259 35524 April 3, 2016 at 10:56 am
Last Post: robvalue