Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 11:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Pharm is messing up my life
Big Pharm is messing up my life
I actually don't know if I believe in the full on conspiracy theory of Big Pharm, but my personal experiences lead me to think there is at least some merit to the accusations made.

I developed panic attacks in my early 20's.  My doctor asked me a few questions, and diagnosed me with Generalized Anxiety Disorder.  20 years later, that diagnosis is still the one on my chart, and no doctor has even attempted to look at another diagnosis, even though I've got a slew of other symptoms. Migraines, insomnia, extremely severe mood swings (Like, I cry for days, but my mood can switch quickly to laughter or anger, like a light switch).  I also have sleep paralysis and excessive daytime sleepiness, to the point I nap at least once a day, I can't help it.  My docs know these symptoms, they just ignore them and focus on the anxiety and depression.

My fist doc just gave me Ativan.  He did not tell me it was addictive, so 20 years later, I'm still taking a benzo.  Not sure I'll ever be able to get off that now, though it's a tiny dose, so I'm not too concerned.  Doctors always are though.
I've been on just about every SSRI in existence, and all of them made me worse, not better, yet to THIS DAY doctors are still trying to push that shit on me.  They all have horrendous side effects, as well as not helping so why would I try them again?  I've been on 6 that I can remember, all of them sucked for me.

After I had my daughter 8 years ago, my symptoms all got a lot worse.  The doc I had at that time was more willing to try different things to see what worked (including bi-polar meds, that was not fun), and when none of the recommended medications worked, he suggested I try a low daily dose of progesterone.  Bam....I felt normal.  No more migraines, no more crazy ass mood swings, anxiety 90% gone, tiredness still there but I can deal with it when all the other stuff is gone.  And no side effects at all!  My libido is still working great Big Grin, I don't feel zombie-like or not myself or anything at all. 

Fast forward 7 years, and that doc retired and the new doc immediately wants to take me off the current meds and put me back on SSRI's.  I told her no, I need to be stable to take care of my child and cope with the stress of my husband (long story), so I asked her if it's working, why change it?  Well, progesterone isn't recommended to treat anxiety, or PPMD, or anything I might have instead. she tells me, SSRI's are.

She went with me and let me keep taking the progesterone for a while, but a few months ago, I turned 40 and my doc really got on my case, saying progesterone has cardiovascular risks and bone loss issues and so forth.

I agreed to try not taking it, but still refused a new SSRI because...screw all of those things.  Been there, don't feel like being a sexless zombie on top of continued depression and anxiety. 
So now I'm right back on the effing crazy train.  I am sane for about 7 days a month, the rest of the time I'm raging or crying or tying NOT to rage or cry.  The migraines came right back full force (After not having a single one for 7 years, I almost forgot how bad they are!).  The anxiety is now constant.  I can't find the energy to clean my house or cook a meal most days.  I feel like I should be committed.

I home school my daughter. This is really not acceptable.  I need to be able to make lesson plans and be active with her every day.
But my doctor is not really willing to open a dialog about getting back on the progesterone.  I did some of my own research and I don't see ANY studies that show low dose progesterone alone to have the side effects she claimed.  Only high dose Deproprevara. Of course, she also once told me that marijuana causes schizophrenia, so I'm not sure I even trust her as a doctor right now, but I'm on Medicare and she's the only doc in town that takes it, so I'm stuck.

Note, the progesterone cost me less than $1 a month, it's super cheap.  Any SSRI will be $200 and up.  This in itself makes me suspicious.
So, is big pharm pushing these drugs on everyone for every issue? Why are SSRI's the top recommendation for women with PPMD instead of hormone therapy? Hormones are the CAUSE of PPMD.  That makes no sense.  It seems a lot like treating a tumor by giving you drugs so you won't be upset that you have a tumor, instead of removing the tumor.

I'm sorry if this is TLBig GrinR, or TMI, but I'm at my wits end.  I cannot live my life being crazy 3/4 of the time!  I want to go back to being stable. I need advice or help, and I don't know what to do or say with my doctor anymore. 
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
RE: Big Pharm is messing up my life
I'm sorry to hear these things, unfortunately I'm not competent to say something about these drugs. Good luck though - can you possibly go to a doc who takes medicare patients in some neighbouring town?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I suggest you go somewhere that you can get what helps, whether medicare covers it or not. Ask your doctor where she gets the study that says progesterone has cardiovascular risks, and even if it did would it really be worse than all the other crap you go through with SSRI? print out some articles, and be on her case about it.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Thank you both for you advice and well wishes. Smile

Chad, I think that is a very good idea. I have some research papers bookmarked, I will print them out and bring them to her.

Funny, low dose progesterone is considered so safe, I can get it over the counter in cream form. It costs a lot more than an oral prescription, but I may go get it until I find a doc willing to prescribe it again.

I just think it's nuts that my doc is unwilling to let me keep taking an apparently safe, no side effect medication that works very, very well for me, but wants me to take an unsafe drug with craploads of side effects that is also addictive that doesn't work. I've just had terrible experiences with this aspect of the medical profession. Repeatedly.

Sorry, part of my issues are a tendency to ramble in almost a manic way. I'll print out the articles and make an apt with my doc when they open tomorrow. Thanks again. Smile
I'm sorry you're going through all that shit, I can sympathise
Unfortunately I have no advice to give, as much as I wish I could help
I hope it all works out for you somehow
If it works for you, stand your ground. Tell your drug-pushing salesperson of a doctor to go fuck herself and focus on being an actual doctor. All I can say, really. Don't give an inch.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
Quote: Fast forward 7 years, and that doc retired and the new doc immediately wants to take me off the current meds and put me back on SSRI's.

There is no conspiracy, dear.  Big Pharma pays off doctors to push expensive medications.

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/troublesho...55321.html

Quote:NBC Connecticut and investigative newsroom ProPublica uncovered millions of dollars that Big Pharma shelled out to local doctors for speaking engagements, meals, and travel. Payments were as large as $200,000 for individual doctors.

A conspiracy implies a secret agreement to break a law.  There is thus no conspiracy present as everyone knows about this.

Tell your doctor you want to stay with what works or tell him you'll find another doctor who is not on the drug companies' dime.
Thank you Minimalist and Iroscato, I will.
Also, thanks for the link. I knew doctors were given tons of "free" samples of these expensive meds to give out to their patients and get them hooked, didn't know about basically buying off docs though. That's messed up. How is that legal?? Or more accurately, why is that not illegal??

I'm also looking to see if there are other docs in neighboring towns who take Medicare, just in case my current doc is unwilling to budge.
Yeah, it's got to be because the doctor is getting extra money to push this. Taking you off something that's worked for seven years, and trying to put you on something that can br proven doesn't work? She better bring her A game, and not just say something about cardiovascular risks.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

John Oliver took a shot at these crooks a couple of months back.  Enjoy.

http://foodrevolution.org/blog/john-oliv...a-doctors/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Life eating other life. Brian37 42 2054 May 14, 2021 at 4:44 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  quality of life or life for life's sake tackattack 37 2247 November 24, 2018 at 9:29 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Big Bang purplepurpose 46 5275 October 21, 2018 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  CAR-T, The big step forward in cancer treatment The Valkyrie 9 1503 August 31, 2017 at 11:28 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Medical/Sugar/Comparison to Big Tobacco brewer 7 2016 December 2, 2016 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: Noprophets
  Why Mike Pence is a big dummy. Jehanne 0 620 October 13, 2016 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Body shaming, and "My Big Fat Fabulous Life" Aroura 100 21722 August 5, 2016 at 2:29 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  Bill Nye Big Think, Creationism. 5thHorseman 4 2796 August 28, 2012 at 12:30 pm
Last Post: Gambit
  This is going to go over big.... Minimalist 13 4780 June 7, 2012 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: Jackalope