Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ask an Italian
Ask an Italian
Guess it would be appropriate to do.

Am I one of the cool kids now? Eh? Eh?
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
RE: Ask an Italian
Are Italians the sexiest Europeans?
How'd your exams go? (Or how are they going?)
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Well I can't speak for the entire nation, but I certainly am one of the sexiest Europeans out there Tongue
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Is Berlusconi as baffling to you guys as he is the rest of the world?
“The larger the group, the more toxic, the more of your beauty as an individual you have to surrender for the sake of group thought. And when you suspend your individual beauty you also give up a lot of your humanity. You will do things in the name of a group that you would never do on your own. Injuring, hurting, killing, drinking are all part of it, because you've lost your identity, because you now owe your allegiance to this thing that's bigger than you are and that controls you.”  - George Carlin
(May 16, 2015 at 8:42 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: How'd your exams go? (Or how are they going?)

Hard, but oddly pleasing to study. Also, great marks. Biology is awesome.

(May 16, 2015 at 8:43 pm)Saxmoof Wrote: Is Berlusconi as baffling to you guys as he is the rest of the world?

In retrospective, he isn't. He's the man we deserved (not exactly the man we needed though). We are a country where corruption has reigned for ~2000 years, B was just an incarnation of the national spirit, if you will. Women, money, notoriety, and a football team. All the things every man in Italy would want to be were a part of B's personality.

This one bugs me - Is it true that Italians are extremely racist? And what do you think of Mussolini? Is Catholicism very present in people's lives (because of the vatican etc) or is it like the rest of Europe where most people are just culturally Catholic?
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Quote: We are a country where corruption has reigned for ~2000 years, B was just an incarnation of the national spirit, if you will. Women, money, notoriety, and a football team. All the things every man in Italy would want to be were a part of B's personality.

It reassures me to know this, i'd hate to think that Italians are sensible, responsible people and Berlusconi is just an aberration - he's such a great comedic representation of Italy

Second question, which only applies if you follow football, do you think Italy deserved to beat England at the recent World Cup (hint - the answer is no)
“The larger the group, the more toxic, the more of your beauty as an individual you have to surrender for the sake of group thought. And when you suspend your individual beauty you also give up a lot of your humanity. You will do things in the name of a group that you would never do on your own. Injuring, hurting, killing, drinking are all part of it, because you've lost your identity, because you now owe your allegiance to this thing that's bigger than you are and that controls you.”  - George Carlin
(May 16, 2015 at 8:51 pm)Dystopia Wrote: This one bugs me - Is it true that Italians are extremely racist?
Some are. It's a very vocal minority, sadly. But most Italians aren't, at least in my experience.
Northern Italians used to discriminate against southerners, but luckily we've moved on.

(May 16, 2015 at 8:51 pm)Dystopia Wrote: And what do you think of Mussolini?
[Image: mussolini.jpg]
You mean this guy? I wish his mother had swallowed him that night.

(May 16, 2015 at 8:51 pm)Dystopia Wrote: Is Catholicism very present in people's lives (because of the vatican etc) or is it like the rest of Europe where most people are just culturally Catholic?

The church still holds some influence on the upper echelons of the political scene but it's waning as our generation (millennials) comes of age. At least I hope so.

Going to sleep now. I'll answer the rest of ya tomorrow Tongue

Are American Italians representative of Italian Italians?
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue