Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ask a computer security expert.
Ask a computer security expert.
I have a Bachelors degree in Computer Science, minoring in Information Security, and a Masters degree in Information Security, both from one of the most respected InfoSec institutions in the world.

I've worked in the industry for a few years now, in a number of roles. In that short time I've hacked numerous computer networks, mobile devices, web applications, etc. I have discovered vulnerabilities, written proof of concept exploit code, and a few exploitation tools.

I'm prepared to answer any questions you might have about computer / network security topics, within reason (i.e. I've signed several non-disclosure agreements and I'm not breaking them).
RE: Ask a computer security expert.
Why are the hackers seemingly always a step ahead of the hacked?
As a long time Linux user, I always more or less assumed that I was safe from viruses. Of course software like Browsers can be attacked. Also, the days of sharing 3.5" floppy disks with your classmates are kind of over. So what would you say are the security threats to Linux/Mac machines nowadays, and how does it compare to Windows?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I have win7. In it, there's an admin account which I rarely, if ever, use. I always use the "run as administrator" or equivalent to install or do anything adminy.
I also have the free avira AV and use the default windows firewall.
Both the admin and user accounts have passwords.

Is there anything else I should do to increase my security?
Wearing a condom can't hurt?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
What's your AF password?
What's your preferred antivirus/malware program for personal PCs? I use Ad-Aware and Malwarebytes.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(May 22, 2015 at 7:50 am)Napoléon Wrote: What's your AF password?

It's pastword. Tongue
If a hen and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how long does it take for a rooster to lay a doorknob ?
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

What would be the best way to create a sock account that not even you could detect? Just curious.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ask a computer security expert (part 2) Tiberius 31 10438 July 18, 2017 at 3:28 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Ask a psychiatric/hospital security guard... Bob Kelso 34 6529 September 20, 2015 at 9:27 pm
Last Post: Bob Kelso