Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Periodic Table and religion
The Periodic Table and religion
I was having a look at the Periodic table the other day and it got me thinking. There are a decent number of elements have have zero use in human biology, and many are actually a hindrance to biological functions. For example, radioactive elements will cause cancer, others are toxic to humans and so on. Would the Earth, perhaps, be even more perfect without elements such as Uranium and Polonium?

Isn't it rather curious that humans just so happen to be primarily constructed (maybe that's the wrong word) of the most common elements in our universe? Could a "Chemical Argument Against God" a good argument? How do you think a Theist may respond? I've mentioned previously my father has a doctorate in Chemistry.

RE: The Periodic Table and religion
Would the earth be more perfect?  I doubt you'd find anyone who believes that will subject their god to a standard of chemical composition or existence.

Is it curious that we're constructed out of common elements?  I'd say no, we were going to be composed of something, common elements have a higher statistical probability of being that thing -if for no other reason than that they are the most common-.   That's regardless of who, what, or why we were supposed to have been created (laying aside outlier propositions such as "god intended for us to be a race of super soldiers" - then maybe it might have made sense to make us out of something else...but even here there is an assumption that god actually had a choice in the matter).

So no, I don;t think that it would be all that good an argument against god, though it's a fine argument against a world "built for us" by a competent, caring creator (neither of which is something god is required to be).  
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
It's not like God created all the elements separately, created in the sense that they can exist (even if no concrete realization of a particular one is present at a given moment). God didn't have to say "oh, and let's also have francium". He created a simple system of building blocks with simple rules baswd on which stars can work to produce heavier elements to form the basis of life, and all the other possibilities are byproducts of this simple foundation. Many radioactive elements play an intermediary role there, others are simply further possibilities of the same simple rules.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(May 31, 2015 at 7:20 am)Rhythm Wrote: Would the earth be more perfect?  I doubt you'd find anyone who believes that will subject their god to a standard of chemical composition or existence.

Is it curious that we're constructed out of common elements?  I'd say no, we were going to be composed of something, common elements have a higher statistical probability of being that thing -if for no other reason than that they are the most common-.   That's regardless of who, what, or why we were supposed to have been created (laying aside outlier propositions such as "god intended for us to be a race of super soldiers" - then maybe it might have made sense to make us out of something else...but even here there is an assumption that god actually had a choice in the matter).

So no, I don;t think that it would be all that good an argument against god, though it's a fine argument against a world "built for us" by a competent, caring creator (neither of which is something god is required to be).  

When say it's curious, what I mean is religionists like to argue life is special. So what I would argue is that because life is principally made up of the most common elements then it's probably not all that rare or special. Hydrogen, Oxygen and Carbon are all really common elements and, given the size of even just our own galaxy, I think it's likely that there is life 'out there'. Clearly this will cause a problem for religionists.

Well, consider that some theists believe that human beings were created out of dirt - and yet they still maintain that we are special.   It doesn't seem as though this claim to being special is actually based upon what were made out of, whether that stuff is real or imagined, eh?  After all, even a theist could tell you that dirt is pretty damned common.    Wink

Extraterrestrial life wouldn't pose a problem for gods created and chosen anymore than coming into contact with other human beings (ostensibly -not- gods created and chosen) did. Finding complex life, a human being not tied to their god stories, failed to impress...I don't think they'd be any more taken aback by alien bacteria.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Republi-theists find uranium to be quite useful to zorch the godless [insert whomever is the current enemy for today].

All part of Gods plan.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(May 31, 2015 at 6:57 am)MrNoMorePropaganda Wrote: I was having a look at the Periodic table the other day and it got me thinking. There are a decent number of elements have have zero use in human biology, and many are actually a hindrance to biological functions. For example, radioactive elements will cause cancer, others are toxic to humans and so on. Would the Earth, perhaps, be even more perfect without elements such as Uranium and Polonium?

Isn't it rather curious that humans just so happen to be primarily constructed (maybe that's the wrong word) of the most common elements in our universe? Could a "Chemical Argument Against God" a good argument? How do you think a Theist may respond? I've mentioned previously my father has a doctorate in Chemistry.

So... From your perspective, If we are not made of a given element or can't eat it, it is your belief if thier was a God he made us or this world imperfectly.. And be use we can physically consume or because we are not made of all the available elements that some how would put God in error?!?!

I would suggest the opposite. Because for me it is very apparent that God provided the elements we are made of, and can eat.. But also provided us with the building blocks that helps us subdue this world.
Iron, copper, cobalt, hydrogen, plutonium are all used in our lives everyday. From our dwellings to our transportation to our power sources, to the things the next generations will need to live life
I don't know that you could really credit god for what man was compelled to manufacture in his absence or dereliction. Seems like your god is chiefly employed in taking credit for the work of others, to hear you tell it. We can't eat "elements", and we had to breed our staple foods over many thousands of years - while starving. The almighty has never lifted a roof or lain asphalt, though plenty of men died and fell under both as they toiled to do what your god wouldn't, or couldn't. All for the betterment of our lives....your life.

One of these days, when you aren't busy praising god for what god had no hand in, could you spare a little gratitude for those that did? If you're deadset on praising ghosts.....there's no shortage...
(May 31, 2015 at 6:57 am)MrNoMorePropaganda Wrote: I was having a look at the Periodic table the other day and it got me thinking. There are a decent number of elements have have zero use in human biology, and many are actually a hindrance to biological functions. For example, radioactive elements will cause cancer, others are toxic to humans and so on. Would the Earth, perhaps, be even more perfect without elements such as Uranium and Polonium?

Personally, I don't see how either the fact that living organisms are made out of the most common elements and are allergic to others has any baring on whether there is a god one way or another.  You might however use it to suggest that if there is a god, either he is not benevolent or he didn't design the universe with humans in mind.

But since theists don't take disease, drought, hurricanes, volcanoes, or earthquakes, as proof of the lack of existence of god, I doubt a little uranium is going to bother them much.  Many religions already believe that man was made out of what looked like the most common substance to them at the time:  dirt.  So if the purpose of the argument  is to convince theists, I'm pretty sure it's a no go.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(May 31, 2015 at 9:42 am)vorlon13 Wrote: Republi-theists find uranium to be quite useful to zorch the godless [Species 8472].

All part of Gods plan.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10745 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4910 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19833 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49348 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5190 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused