Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latest mass shooting in France
Latest mass shooting in France
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-franc...SKBN1GZ1EY

Will ISIS attacks like this be a permanent fixture in our world, despite their wide scale defeat in the middle east?

Quote: TREBES, France (Reuters) - A gunman killed three people in southwestern France on Friday as he held up a car, fired on police and seized hostages in a supermarket, screaming “Allahu Akbar” before security forces stormed the building and killed him, authorities said.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
RE: Latest mass shooting in France
Quote:Will ISIS attacks like this be a permanent fixture in our world, despite their wide scale defeat in the middle east?

Not 'despite', more like 'because of'.   ISIS' battlefield setbacks are more likely to foster an increase in small, deadly attacks like the one mention, primarily because they no longer have the resources to do much else.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(March 25, 2018 at 6:47 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
Quote:Will ISIS attacks like this be a permanent fixture in our world, despite their wide scale defeat in the middle east?

Not 'despite', more like 'because of'.   ISIS' battlefield setbacks are more likely to foster an increase in small, deadly attacks like the one mention, primarily because they no longer have the resources to do much else.

Boru

Could you expand on this idea maybe? You could be right. I would think that the battlefield defeats would demoralized though, since obviously the caliphate isn't happening.
Sure.

If you have hundreds of tanks, planes, machine guns, rocket launchers and the like, but Westerners break most of them, you are no longer able to mount major battlefield operations.  However, being a religious fanatic, you have to do something, but your options are limited to things like attacking French supermarkets.

FYI, religious loonies never, EVER get demoralized.  Defeat after defeat after defeat simply tells them that their faith isn't strong enough, so they need to do even more to prove themselves to God.  And - in their minds - the caliphate IS going to happen, they are merely being tested by Allah.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
The Allied forces feared this kind of thing in Japan if the Emperor wasn't able to give the country orders. A guerilla war would have lasted a good long time, I believe, as witness the one soldier who didn't surrender for decades.
(March 25, 2018 at 6:56 am)CapnAwesome Wrote:
(March 25, 2018 at 6:47 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Not 'despite', more like 'because of'.   ISIS' battlefield setbacks are more likely to foster an increase in small, deadly attacks like the one mention, primarily because they no longer have the resources to do much else.

Boru

Could you expand on this idea maybe? You could be right. I would think that the battlefield defeats would demoralized though, since obviously the caliphate isn't happening.

When you think your acts are going to get you into heaven to meet 72 virgins for being a hero... it's hard to be demoralized. When you think you're on a mission from God... it's hard to be demoralized.

Unfortunately. People die and kill for ideas. And religious ideas give people an even stronger motivation than political ideas, because religious ideas give people the feeling that they will rewarded AFTER they die.

Yep, its the idea that must be defeated not only the battlefield soldiers. Also, maybe if Harris was not a public personality (ans subject to the ethics police) he would be for a stronger physical deterrent, something more pragmatic.
(March 25, 2018 at 9:16 am)rskovride Wrote: Yep, its the idea that must be defeated not only the battlefield soldiers. Also, maybe if Harris was not a public personality (ans subject to the ethics police) he would be for a stronger physical deterrent, something more pragmatic.

I agree, and it's really up to more moderate muslims as well. ISIS isn't going to listen to sam harris
Ugh, I hate isis so much ...
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(March 25, 2018 at 9:18 am)CapnAwesome Wrote:
(March 25, 2018 at 9:16 am)rskovride Wrote: Yep, its the idea that must be defeated not only the battlefield soldiers.  Also, maybe if Harris was not a public personality (ans subject to the ethics police) he would be for a stronger physical deterrent, something more pragmatic.

I agree, and it's really up to more moderate muslims as well. ISIS isn't going to listen to sam harris

And I doubt even the moderate muslims would listen. But maybe non-muslim friends of moderate muslims would.

Moderate muslims give cover for the extreme muslims (and even many 'moderate' muslims aren't exactly moderate in the same way moderate Christians are). And this is a big part of the problem. ISIS isn't going to listen to anyone directly, this is a deeper problem that will hopefully one day be solved farther into the future, by just the whole culture in general slowly becoming more moderate, kind of like what happened to Christianity. Christianity was barbaric hundreds of years ago: Think of the crusades. Muslim culture is just hundreds of years behind.

(March 25, 2018 at 7:08 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: FYI, religious loonies never, EVER get demoralized.  Defeat after defeat after defeat simply tells them that their faith isn't strong enough, so they need to do even more to prove themselves to God.  And - in their minds - the caliphate IS going to happen, they are merely being tested by Allah.

Right. And even if they die they think they died a hero and will get a reward in heaven. They think that regardless what happens, they can't possibly lose, as long as they do everything they can to kill the enemies of Allah or die trying.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mass shooting in the middle school Vladislav Ribnikar in Belgrade FlatAssembler 764 26750 July 18, 2023 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Poland, Germany, France all love me Brian37 4 1587 April 21, 2023 at 7:05 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Alec Baldwin Shooting onlinebiker 252 12187 August 17, 2022 at 9:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Grand Rapids Mi Shooting onlinebiker 111 6081 May 11, 2022 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Colorado shooting, 5 dead. brewer 0 289 December 28, 2021 at 8:11 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Oakland School Shooting onlinebiker 99 5797 December 7, 2021 at 8:21 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The latest billionaire space circle jerk. Brian37 38 2304 September 28, 2021 at 4:33 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
Thumbs Up President Biden orders mass deportation of immigrants onlinebiker 135 5773 September 22, 2021 at 8:49 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Official Mass Shooter Thread Brian37 351 15305 June 13, 2021 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Columbus Police Shooting onlinebiker 43 2752 April 25, 2021 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire