Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unaffiliated/irreligious people isn't evidence of anything good
Unaffiliated/irreligious people isn't evidence of anything good
Just thought I'd share my thoughts on this. While traditional, organised religion is in decline, the spiritual belief isn't. The New Age, especially the bullshit put forward by Deepak Chopra is highly, highly popular. It's a million dollar industry which is trying to revive ''faith healing, astrology, etc''. These beliefs are just as, if not more irrational than organised religion, they're not organised beliefs, they're highly individualistic beliefs, but the level of irrationality isn't going away.

Religion isn't declining, it's just changing.

http://www.scienceonreligion.org/index.p...ar-society
RE: Unaffiliated/irreligious people isn't evidence of anything good
(June 13, 2015 at 9:43 am)TheMessiah Wrote: Just thought I'd share my thoughts on this. While traditional, organised religion is in decline, the spiritual belief isn't. The New Age, especially the bullshit put forward by Deepak Chopra is highly, highly popular. It's a million dollar industry which is trying to revive ''faith healing, astrology, etc''. These beliefs are just as, if not more irrational than organised religion, they're not organised beliefs, they're highly individualistic beliefs, but the level of irrationality isn't going away.

yeah, you understand alright.    Rolleyes

Go get some science training before you spout noise about your "religion" as better than their religions.  My sect of atheists is just as the definition describes.  We do not subscribe to "our belief is better than their belief." But we do think Using the scientific method is a better process to form a belief.  That is the claim. 
anti-logical Fallacies of Ambiguity
(June 13, 2015 at 10:31 am)comet Wrote:
(June 13, 2015 at 9:43 am)TheMessiah Wrote: Just thought I'd share my thoughts on this. While traditional, organised religion is in decline, the spiritual belief isn't. The New Age, especially the bullshit put forward by Deepak Chopra is highly, highly popular. It's a million dollar industry which is trying to revive ''faith healing, astrology, etc''. These beliefs are just as, if not more irrational than organised religion, they're not organised beliefs, they're highly individualistic beliefs, but the level of irrationality isn't going away.

Go get some science training before you spout noise about your "religion" as better than their religions.  My sect of atheists is just as the definition describes.  We do not subscribe to "our belief is better than their belief." But we do think Using the scientific method is a better process to form a belief.  That is the claim. 

Not sure why you think I think New Age is good, I hate the new age crap
New age crap may be just as irrational as Christianity but there is no political power in it. That's the big difference. I would rather have 50 million people following a plethora of different and incompatible religions than 50 million united under a single religion. Christianity is itself fractured (thank FSM) but united enough to cause the chaos they did when they successfully took over the Republican Party.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(June 13, 2015 at 10:31 am)comet Wrote:

You might want to read twice before you decide to get your feathers all ruffled.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(June 13, 2015 at 10:53 am)AFTT47 Wrote: New age crap may be just as irrational as Christianity but there is no political power in it. That's the big difference. I would rather have 50 million people following a plethora of different and incompatible religions than 50 million united under a single religion. Christianity is itself fractured (thank FSM) but united enough to cause the chaos they did when they successfully took over the Republican Party.

This.

Except for the New Agers are the ones that start the Anti-Vaxxer and Anti-GMO movements.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
First polytheism changed to monotheism, now monotheism is changing into New Age bullshit. Hopefully, with enough time, New Age bullshit will change into no bullshit.

I'm an incurable optimist, aren't I -_-
Some humans choose to be willfully ignorant. they cannot be helped. Let's hope our society grows up and learns to ignore them. But between a "no bullshit" society and the destruction of mankind, I believe the latter is more likely to happen. yeh, I am a pessimist.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

I never encountered a New Ager who hides his bigotry behind the guise of religious love as Christians are wont to do.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(June 13, 2015 at 10:53 am)AFTT47 Wrote: New age crap may be just as irrational as Christianity but there is no political power in it. That's the big difference. I would rather have 50 million people following a plethora of different and incompatible religions than 50 million united under a single religion. Christianity is itself fractured (thank FSM) but united enough to cause the chaos they did when they successfully took over the Republican Party.

I don't know, I have a friend at Uni who is studying medicine and IIRC he said they introduced some New Age bullshit.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OK Bill to allow parents to sue teachers if they teach anything that opposes religion Cecelia 28 2044 February 20, 2022 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism? Ferrocyanide 177 10572 January 1, 2022 at 2:36 am
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Proof and evidence will always equal Science zwanzig 103 6681 December 17, 2021 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Are miracles evidence of the existence of God? ido 74 4100 July 24, 2020 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If theists understood "evidence" Foxaèr 135 13544 October 10, 2018 at 10:50 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Moses parting the sea evidence or just made up Smain 12 2906 June 28, 2018 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Being Catholic isn't an ethnic thing. Joods 0 792 March 12, 2018 at 8:36 am
Last Post: Joods
  Isn't it funny... pabsta 189 55940 August 21, 2017 at 12:11 am
Last Post: Astonished
  How do religions inspire people to be good? robvalue 24 2866 January 17, 2017 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  The Best Evidence For God and Against God The Joker 49 9626 November 22, 2016 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Asmodee