Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who Ya Gonna Call?
Who Ya Gonna Call?
Out of curiosity, I would like to hear what the rest of you think about things that can be classified as ‘Supernatural’ or ‘Paranormal’. As we all know, atheism only encompasses the existence of deities, not necessarily all things ‘mystical’. Do any of my fellow atheists believe in psychic energy, for example? Or perhaps… Karma?

Personally, I do not believe in the existence of anything ‘supernatural’, but I would like to. What I mean is that I think it would be awesome (like totally) if psionic abilities actually existed, for example. I know that there has been “scientific” research into many areas of the ‘paranormal’, but I have never seen or heard anything convincing.

Does anyone believe in any of these things? If so, do you have any compelling evidence to back up that belief?

Don’t even get me started on ‘ultra-science’ (my term), like teleportation or time travel.
RE: Who Ya Gonna Call?
I think I can reasonnably say that most atheists on the forum don't believe in such things, including myself. But there might be a few exceptions.
If you don't believe in the sky-daddy because you don't find any scientific evidence for his existence, the same logic applies to any supernatural claim.
[Image: pPQu8.png]
Yes, I agree. I have known atheists, though, that believe that psychic energy can be validated scientifically and that it is responsible for "psychic echoes", which are mistaken for hauntings... or that telekinesis and/or telepathy can be scientifically supported. I do not believe that myself, but I was wondering if anyone else here (not all of which are strictly atheists) believed in such things. I was curious to know if there is any supporting evidence out there that I am not aware of.

Conversation Starter Fail. -_-
GHOSTBUSTERS!!!

Oh sorry...was I meant to read the first post? Shit...
I know atheists who are knee-deep in woo. Some believe in past lives, aura's, one even dowses. They never get into a discussion with me about it, because they know that I regard those beliefs just as silly a believing in deities.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(April 15, 2010 at 3:13 pm)Tiberius Wrote: GHOSTBUSTERS!!!

Oh sorry...was I meant to read the first post? Shit...

[Image: ghostbusters-thumb-482x400-99211.jpg]

Paul, how could you set us up with "Who Ya Gonna Call?" and NOT imply something about Ghostbusters?! HOW COULD YOU?!
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Saerules Wrote:Paul, how could you set us up with "Who Ya Gonna Call?" and NOT imply something about Ghostbusters?! HOW COULD YOU?!

The subject line, "Who Ya Gonna Call?", was to imply something about Ghostbusters! It even worked. You all knew what I meant! Haha! I tend to like giving threads rather odd subject lines. It amuses me.
(April 15, 2010 at 5:48 pm)Paul the Human Wrote:
Saerules Wrote:Paul, how could you set us up with "Who Ya Gonna Call?" and NOT imply something about Ghostbusters?! HOW COULD YOU?!

The subject line, "Who Ya Gonna Call?", was to imply something about Ghostbusters! It even worked. You all knew what I meant! Haha! I tend to like giving threads rather odd subject lines. It amuses me.

.... Bastard.... Dodgy

Fine then! I'll read the OP now Big Grin
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
I've been debating a friend about this stuff for a couple of weeks now. We keep going back and forth over email about random things related to this topic. I am very much a skeptic, half James Randi, half Carl Sagan. He's a martial artist who's heavily into meditation and various hallucinogenic substances who believes that anything is possible. His ideas are funky and quite out there. He believes that since in quantum physics the outcome of some experiments is determined by the observation of the outcome, then that means that all reality is possibly created by our perception and consequently we have the power of manipulating reality by force of will. To give you an example: Don't like the thought of dying? No problem. Just believe you are immortal and it will be true.
Now naturally he won't stand behind his claims to the fullest. When he's pressed to address the glaring holes his claims present he usually just says "i'm not saying that this DOES happen, i'm simply saying it's possible that it MAY happen". Typical dodging.
Debating things like this with him I've noticed a striking similarity between his method of argument and the methods of argument presented by theists. It's the same cliches! Whether it's calling the other side closed-minded, or shifting the burden of proof, or completely dropping one argument in the middle of debating it to bring up another one, the same arguments are brought forth by theists. The names and topics change, but the way they think and approach the topics is the same: irrationally.

Anyway, to answer your question, I can't think of any paranormal practice or phenomenon that should rightly be considered scientifically debatable. I guess that's why they're called paranormal. Because they have no grounding in physical reality.
The cosmos is also within us. We're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself - Carl Sagan
Like I have said in another post ...

"..me an my Family have experienced some 'weird shit' ' that is unexplained by scientce. So as I have said before...the jury is still out.

Believe or not believe?? I don't think that is an option but reincarnation is a front runner and 'auric' fields is up there to, for further investigation. Thinking
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your opportunity to call me a dumbass. Brian37 14 699 June 6, 2021 at 2:37 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  (Curious) Roll Call Foxaèr 8 644 October 10, 2019 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  What do you call THAT? onlinebiker 8 1004 August 29, 2019 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Official Better Call Saul thread Mudhammam 4 1165 January 28, 2015 at 3:01 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Can I call ya? Phatt Matt s 65 8666 April 28, 2014 at 6:38 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Pranking Christian call show Napoléon 110 44791 September 18, 2013 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: Statler Waldorf
  Evie's gonna be a bit Violet 12 3329 August 31, 2013 at 8:06 am
Last Post: Tonus
  Call me out paulpablo 26 6204 March 13, 2013 at 3:13 am
Last Post: catfish
  Why call it an "atheist church"? Brian37 4 1494 March 9, 2013 at 2:05 am
Last Post: Waratah
  What do you call a bread crust based religion? xXUKAtheistForTheTruthXx 1 967 March 3, 2013 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: Something completely different