Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SpaceX's Falcon 9 Rocket Explodes After Launch
SpaceX's Falcon 9 Rocket Explodes After Launch
This just happened within the last hour.  SpaceX, a private company, launched a rocket that was loaded with supplies and a docking module for the International Space Station.  The supplies were not critical, as the Russians will be launching a new rocket they designed loaded with more supplies later this week.

This seems like a minor setback, but I wonder how much money was lost in both supplies and the cost of manufacturing that docking module (it was capable of handling docking of more than one space module).  Two steps forward, one step back I guess.

Quote:The company, founded by billionaire PayPal founder Elon Musk, had tried twice before to guide the rocket, which is only in use for a few minutes following launch, back to a barge where it could be safely collected, but both prior attempts had ended in failure. Collecting the rocket after launch would have been a significant advance, but instead the company will be dealing with a signficant setback to its efforts to pioneer privatized space flight.

http://time.com/3939166/spacex-rocket-explode/
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."--Thomas Jefferson
RE: SpaceX's Falcon 9 Rocket Explodes After Launch
Hm crap. Let's just hope that they learn a lot from that.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

NASA has had their fair share of pitfalls.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
Tell me again about the joys of the private sector.'
(June 28, 2015 at 12:18 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Tell me again about the joys of the private sector.'

Private sector don't get me wrong is.... useless. They are not going to do deep space things that NASA does. 
SpaceX better jump on doing deep space space exploration before another company decides to do that.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(June 28, 2015 at 11:21 am)Secular Elf Wrote: This just happened within the last hour.  SpaceX, a private company, launched a rocket that was loaded with supplies and a docking module for the International Space Station.  The supplies were not critical, as the Russians will be launching a new rocket they designed loaded with more supplies later this week.

This seems like a minor setback, but I wonder how much money was lost in both supplies and the cost of manufacturing that docking module (it was capable of handling docking of more than one space module).  Two steps forward, one step back I guess.

Quote:The company, founded by billionaire PayPal founder Elon Musk, had tried twice before to guide the rocket, which is only in use for a few minutes following launch, back to a barge where it could be safely collected, but both prior attempts had ended in failure. Collecting the rocket after launch would have been a significant advance, but instead the company will be dealing with a signficant setback to its efforts to pioneer privatized space flight.

http://time.com/3939166/spacex-rocket-explode/

Unfortunately, I am not seeing the 2 steps forward.    So far they have promised, but they have not actually demonstrate any capability which the Russians do not already do better and more reliably, with dated technology and much derided soviet bequeathed know how.   All they have done is break minor beuracratic ground from NASA perspective using mostly as yet unfulfilled promises.
(June 28, 2015 at 12:24 pm)dyresand Wrote:
(June 28, 2015 at 12:18 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Tell me again about the joys of the private sector.'

Private sector don't get me wrong is.... useless. They are not going to do deep space things that NASA does. 
SpaceX better jump on doing deep space space exploration before another company decides to do that.

No they are not going to deep space. But I heard an interview with nasa boss guy on NdGTs show, and he basically said that they would be useful for getting all the near earth orbit duties off of NASA's back to free up ressources for other things. I can't really judge how sensible that is tbh.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Quote: he basically said that they would be useful for getting all the near earth orbit duties off of NASA's back to free up ressources for other things.

With more promise than performance it seems.
Geez, rockets are meant to explode.
Cunt
I don't mean to be critical, and I wholeheartedly support SpaceX, but if it is a pressurization issue with the oxidizer tank, it is somewhat disappointing. The spacelaunch business knows how to do that. I know citing preferences for new and exotic failure modes seems a little wonky, but damn, I hate it when known engineering challenges bite someone on the ass.

(disclaimer: I formerly worked for an aerospace company and some of my job functions were related to endurance testing of aviation and space hardware)
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fifty years after the Yom Kippur War LinuxGal 71 4466 October 18, 2023 at 3:57 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Who will become the next Prime Minister of the UK - after Boris Johnson? Dundee 21 1598 July 17, 2022 at 5:07 am
Last Post: GUBU
  SpaceX gets FAA launch approval, provided they fund interest groups HappySkeptic 10 829 June 15, 2022 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Shatner Launch onlinebiker 92 3408 October 15, 2021 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Louisiana cemetery 'sorry' after denying officer burial 'because he is black' zebo-the-fat 25 1503 January 31, 2021 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Misinformation drops dramatically after Trump gets banned from Twitter TaraJo 22 1641 January 20, 2021 at 9:59 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Stage set for impeachment after Pence dismisses House call to invoke 25th Am. WinterHold 26 994 January 15, 2021 at 6:24 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  BREAKING:Clashes erupt after Trump loyalists march against election results WinterHold 28 2078 December 14, 2020 at 11:54 am
Last Post: Aegon
  Mars Rover Launch BrianSoddingBoru4 23 1250 July 30, 2020 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  It's a flat world after all. <-Disney, but SCARY! Brian37 63 4773 May 23, 2020 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye