Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:55 am

Poll: Do you like the idea?
This poll is closed.
Yay.
60.00%
3 60.00%
Neigh.
20.00%
1 20.00%
Other (feel free to post in thread)
20.00%
1 20.00%
Total 5 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestion: Cake Days
Suggestion: Cake Days
This is just a random suggestion and I completely get it if there's no interest in it. But who knows, people might like the idea.

With the birthday threads people post, it reminded me of a cool little feature of another website I visit often (reddit). This is an entirely superficial suggestion but I just thought it might be a fun thing to implement, another little feature like how we get badges for post count and such (although you don't bloody see them anymore!).

For those who are unfamiliar a cake day is:

Quote:The name of the day your username was born

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Cake+Day

Essentially, a birthday for your account. I envision that whenever it's your cake day (once a year, whatever the date you joined up) you get a little birthday cake icon next to your username, for that entire day. [Image: fYhuU.png] Or something to that effect. 

It's only a little feature, and would only come around once a year for each member ofcourse, but I thought it was a nice little way to celebrate/mark the year you've just spent on the forum. Then people could say "hey happy cake day" etc. Perhaps even an automated message or something from 'the forum' in your PM box saying "thanks for another year" or something along those lines.

Feel free to shoot me down, I don't envision it encroaching on just about anything else on the forum or changing anything so in that sense, if you couldn't care less about having a cake day, then by all means you can just ignore it. I just thought it might be a nice forum addition, and from my limited understanding of websites, doesn't look like too difficult a thing to implement.
RE: Suggestion: Cake Days
too much work needed for a fake cake image, especially when our current slaves members are doing a good job at it. Well I wouldn't mind seeing the badges making a comeback though... Or maybe real digital cakes sent to our 3d printers...
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(June 30, 2015 at 9:43 am)Aoi Magi Wrote: too much work needed for a fake cake image, especially when our current slaves members are doing a good job at it. Well I wouldn't mind seeing the badges making a comeback though... Or maybe real digital cakes sent to our 3d printers...

I think you misunderstand. This isn't the same as people making birthday threads. It doesn't relate to people's actual birthdays. 

And I don't think it would be that much work to be fair, there is already a date logged for when people signed up, there is presumably already code for where you could put the icon (same place as the donator icon/right next to it), all you need is some kind of call for an event that whenever the date is someone's sign up day, you display a little cake icon. I really doubt it would take more than a few minutes for someone like Tib to put in. But I might be wrong.
I can't imagine it'd be too much work and I like the idea. However I think Tibs is snowed under with additional work relating to the switch to the new servers, but maybe when those are done?
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
Yeah Fid, it's only a suggestion and I don't expect anything to be implemented on the dot even if everyone did like the idea.
Technically you are right, it is not hard to implement. But I still think it is too much work for little effect.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

My only objection to it is that having it for one day is a very short period of time, and one is very likely to simply miss it completely if one isn't online all the time. But it's droll. How about marking celebrations like 1-year, 5-year or so for the duration of an entire week?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I really think you're overstating how much work it would be tbh Aoi. And true, the 'effect' is only a token gesture if you look at it cynically. However if you're a bit more optimistic you could view it as a really nice touch and feature to celebrate spending another year on the site. Personally I think it's well worth the effort, and objecting to it on the grounds of it being too much work for too little effect seems a bit silly in my honest opinion. I could get it if you straight up didn't like it.
(June 30, 2015 at 10:34 am)Alex K Wrote: My only objection to it is that it is a very short period of time, and one is very likely to simply miss it completely. But it's droll. How about marking celebrations like 1-year, 5-year or so for an entire week?

Well sure it's only for a day but that's kind of the point. With the amount of members here you'll likely see people posting on their cake day every so often. I don't dislike your other suggestion except for the fact it wouldn't then be a "cake day".
"cake week" Smile
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suggestion: Install Soma Tablet Depositories On All Threads Violet 17 2481 May 3, 2020 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Suggestion: atheism source links Foxaèr 3 1098 April 28, 2019 at 9:52 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Does this already exist? If not, count it as a suggestion Reltzik 26 2965 October 3, 2018 at 11:08 am
Last Post: Joods
  Sub forum suggestion Joods 2 976 July 15, 2018 at 2:25 pm
Last Post: brewer
  New Code suggestion Joods 30 4825 May 21, 2018 at 7:56 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Compulsory swearing subsection suggestion I_am_not_mafia 47 6305 May 13, 2018 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Civility subsection suggestion Catholic_Lady 400 46453 May 11, 2018 at 10:36 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  Min's Rep Indication Suggestion Edwardo Piet 42 4090 October 19, 2017 at 10:25 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  Suggestion for debate forum ErGingerbreadMandude 1 1258 December 20, 2016 at 5:07 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Tagging suggestion Foxaèr 12 2450 November 19, 2016 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: Cyberman