Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 5:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you were to create your own religion..
Question 
If you were to create your own religion..
Just a thought experiment!

If you were to create a religion, how would you do it and how would you get others to follow it?
RE: If you were to create your own religion..
Dear God in heaven, I hope to be fucking better at it than that RETARD Joseph Smith !!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

1. Establish a fear of hell

2. Make up a holy book, claim it’s the true word of god

3. Make up original fairy tales and miracles

4. Force people to believe and act every way I (god) demand in that holy book

5. Collect all of their money, until people realize it’s all bullshit

However, I would not do that, because I am much more moral than that. That’s what I call evil, but many people don’t seem to think so. They love that shit!
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' -Isaac Asimov-
Blackjack and hookers?

I don't think I'm cut out to be a cult leader.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
(July 4, 2015 at 4:36 pm)TheMonster Wrote: Just a thought experiment!

If you were to create a religion, how would you do it and how would you get others to follow it?

Well, it's a lot harder these days. I can't exactly fly to Jerusalem on the back of a donkey, not without a few jetpacks and some way to beat back the Hamas and Israeli rockets anyway.

I think I would draw upon the "exotic" eastern traditions, as these tend to impress the wealthy middle classes who demographically speaking are the most likely to become cultists and follow a plan like this...

1. Cultivate a history/CV that would make me appear mystical and mysterious that I could put on the back of books; perhaps spend a few years in a monestary, any monestary it really doesn't matter. Take up Yoga, an unusual diet, perhaps even begin to neglect my physical apperance; becoming underweight to heighten the sense of me being an ascetic detached from worldly concerns.

2. Write craptons of New Age self help books, of the "Chicken Soup for the Soul"/Deepak Chopra flavour.

3. Set up seminars and workshops where for exhorbitant prices people can learn from me basic stuff they could learn in five minutes from a book and receive some back patting and ego stroking lectures.

4. Rinse, lather and repeat.

5. After a few times doing the above buy myself a nice big manor with "donations" in Beverly Hills, fill the pool with dollar bills and hire an army of "Pool Boys" from a modeling agency to wait on me hand and foot as I lounge around in it.

6. Repeat step 4 as and when a nice new shiny Bentley or Rolls Royce model I like shows up.

It's perfect! All I need is a name for my new cult FSM Grin

SOON!
(July 4, 2015 at 8:26 pm)Metis Wrote:
(July 4, 2015 at 4:36 pm)TheMonster Wrote: Just a thought experiment!

Well, it's a lot harder these days. I can't exactly fly to Jerusalem on the back of a donkey, not without a few jetpacks and some way to beat back the Hamas and Israeli rockets anyway.

I think I would draw upon the "exotic" eastern traditions, as these tend to impress the wealthy middle classes who demographically speaking are the most likely to become cultists and follow a plan like this...

1. Cultivate a history/CV that would make me appear mystical and mysterious that I could put on the back of books; perhaps spend a few years in a monestary, any monestary it really doesn't matter. Take up Yoga, an unusual diet, perhaps even begin to neglect my physical apperance; becoming underweight to heighten the sense of me being an ascetic detached from worldly concerns.

2. Write craptons of New Age self help books, of the "Chicken Soup for the Soul"/Deepak Chopra flavour.

3. Set up seminars and workshops where for exhorbitant prices people can learn from me basic stuff they could learn in five minutes from a book and receive some back patting and ego stroking lectures.

4. Rinse, lather and repeat.

5. After a few times doing the above buy myself a nice big manor with "donations" in Beverly Hills, fill the pool with dollar bills and hire an army of "Pool Boys" from a modeling agency to wait on me hand and foot as I lounge around in it.

6. Repeat step 4 as and when a nice new shiny Bentley or Rolls Royce model I like shows up.

It's perfect! All I need is a name for my new cult FSM Grin

SOON!

-------------------------------------------

That is a very interesting response. maybe come with a really Chinese sounding name and you are good to go!

But yes it is immoral
Hookers and Blow!
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!
(July 4, 2015 at 5:58 pm)Spooky Wrote: Blackjack and hookers?

I don't think I'm cut out to be a cult leader.

I'll make my own religion.  With blackjack and hookers.  No forget the religion.  Meh forget the blackjack as well. Ah screw the whole thing.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.”

― Mark Twain
Everybody gets cake

but really only me but shhhhhhhhh
I am a very big fan of polytheism and would simply create a pantheon of gods that do not explain nature yet instead are used to express human qualities. True gods are without a doubt very anthropomorphic while the "gods" of Abrahamic polytheisms are just bad visualizations of the cosmos.

I would have a series of goddesses and gods in a dualistic fashion in representation like this:

Maarifa - Wisdom
Adab - Goodness
Khuluq - Morality
Kalam - Promotion of good speech

Collectively this would form al-Rabb and be deemed the expressive qualities of the ideal human (Ubermensch to Nietzschean philosophy).

Pretty simple I would say and very elaborate to some degree Big Grin
Ut supra, ita inferius
[Image: 0c112e9da4d42c24a073c335a3e38de1_zpsezmp...g~original]
Uƚ ƨuqɿɒ, iƚɒ inʇɘɿiuƨ

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did Jesus want to create a poli-theism religion? Eclectic 83 5918 December 18, 2022 at 7:54 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Wash your hands or do not wash your hands when you eat Ferrocyanide 48 2942 October 19, 2021 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Why can't I own Canadians? Dundee 14 1081 March 23, 2020 at 7:57 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Turns out we were all wrong. Here's undeniable proof of god. EgoDeath 6 1401 September 16, 2019 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Who told you that you were naked? Um nobody. Fake Messiah 7 754 March 21, 2019 at 10:20 pm
Last Post: Nakara
  How you know religion has done its job in brainwashing you: Foxaèr 19 2694 August 9, 2018 at 12:47 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Invent your own saint, prophet, or religious equivalent The Valkyrie 32 3553 July 1, 2018 at 9:00 am
Last Post: oldpollock
  Create a new monotheistic religion instead of clinging to the past of Abraham Kaloomi 68 8952 June 18, 2018 at 11:30 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  Man creates in his own image Foxaèr 7 1072 June 14, 2018 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Dead people testify! We were wrong! ignoramus 12 1686 June 11, 2018 at 6:52 pm
Last Post: ignoramus