Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 3:07 pm

Poll: ...
This poll is closed.
yes
38.64%
17 38.64%
no
34.09%
15 34.09%
other
27.27%
12 27.27%
Total 44 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your perception of theists
Your perception of theists
When you learn that a particular person is a theist, does that fact alone make you think any less of them? Perhaps less intelligent, or less rational, or less educated, or less good, etc?

If so, how and why?

Thanks! Smile
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
RE: Your perception of theists
I voted no, I don't think they are any less intelligent, I just don't agree with their rationality regarding the idea of god. I was raised a catholic, I don't think I got smarter when I became an atheist.
No, I know many intelligent, kind, trustworthy, creative, and otherwise good theists. Most of the people I know are theists.

However, say you are a creationist, a young earther, or that god's law should be the law of the land and my opinion of you drops precipitously. Ditto if you knock on my door and try to shove your religion down my throat. Similarly if you deny your kids medical care on religious grounds.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
No. I understand that people are theist for many reasons. one of which is just being raised in a religious community. Though if someone was legitimately an atheist, and converted as an adult without any pressure or threats or anything, I'd think less of them. If an adult that wasn't raised religious started talking about how much sense the bible makes, and all that, I'd have doubts about their intelligence.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Because I know many intelligent, kind theists I voted no also.
Not at all.

One of the smartest people I've ever worked with was a Muslim doctor.

I prefer to judge people by who they are, how they treat others, than their beliefs.

An example from my own life, my two aunts, on my mother's side, are two of the most arrogant people I've ever encountered. They feel the need to make snide remarks to me whenever the family meets, to the point where they chipped in and bought me a bible, knowing that I'm an atheist. (It's still on my shelf next to a copy of the qu'ran).

In return, the following Christmas, I bought them a copy of Christopher Hitchen's "God is not great".

I guarantee, unlike their gift, mine was thrown away pretty damned quickly.
Dying to live, living to die.
I voted other, because it depends what flavor of Theism it is.

Peace loving Jains? We're gonna get along fine, what's wrong with discouraging violence?

Shinto? Seems a bit strange to me but sure why not.

LaVey Satanist or Westaboro Baptist? Yeah I'm going to think they're a total asshole.

It rarely if ever changes what I think about them personally or about their level of education (perhaps an exception to scientology), but it does change how moral I see them. Most Christians I'm fairly indifferent to, as I am Hindus and Wiccas but other groups like FLDS tend to give me a very negative impression because of what their worship entails (in their case, pedophilia).
(July 5, 2015 at 9:13 pm)Jenny A Wrote: However, say you are a creationist, a young earther, or that god's law should be the law of the land and my opinion of you drops precipitously.   Ditto if you knock on my door and try to shove your religion down my throat.   Similarly if you deny your kids medical care on religious grounds.

I agree
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
Absolutely.  Makes me question their emotional stability.
(July 5, 2015 at 9:20 pm)Metis Wrote: I voted other, because it depends what flavor of Theism it is.

Peace loving Jains? We're gonna get along fine, what's wrong with discouraging violence?

Shinto? Seems a bit strange to me but sure why not.

LaVey Satanist or Westaboro Baptist? Yeah I'm going to think they're a total asshole.

It rarely if ever changes what I think about them personally or about their level of education (perhaps an exception to scientology), but it does change how moral I see them. Most Christians I'm fairly indifferent to, as I am Hindus and Wiccas but other groups like FLDS tend to give me a very negative impression because of what their worship entails (in their case, pedophilia).

I thought modern day satanists were actually atheist?

I agree though.

-walsh

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  General perception of atheists? RationalAtheist 13 3292 October 28, 2015 at 11:51 pm
Last Post: Athene
  Hey Anti-Theists! Prove Your Claim Neo-Scholastic 85 13606 August 20, 2014 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: ComradeMeow
  What are your favorite Creationists/Theists arguments? xr34p3rx 32 10613 January 14, 2014 at 12:53 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Is perception reality? WWLD 35 18803 May 13, 2009 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet