Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestion about new subforum
Suggestion about new subforum
I think we might need a subforum for Diverse Topics under the forum for Discussions. I know, there's the Off Topic subforum, but the thing is, you only post there if you want some  "light hearted discussion" whereas I might want to make a thread about something that doesn't work for any of the other sub-forums and at the same time have it not be just some "light hearted discussion".

Like, I just made a thread about asexualism and one about non-fiction books. Where should I have posted these threads, exactly? I didn't have any choice, so I posted them in the off-topic forum. One of them already got buried under countless other not as serious topics, and I think it's because of the kind of subforum they're posted in.
RE: Suggestion about new subforum
R'lyeh

/thread
In case of doubt just put it in off topic, it works and basically no one will care as long as the subject isn't grossly related to specific sub forum
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

R'lyeh:
A sunken forum where people may continue heated, controversial threads, or start new ones in a relaxed rule atmosphere.
Maybe I don't want the relaxed rule atmosphere. What then?

Dystopia, as I already said, putting it in off topic might not serve my purpose, as people might not take it as seriously once it's there.

What's so incredible about this suggestion that you guys don't seem to take it seriously? I think I am merely asking for a subforum where you can post about diverse topics without concern for who might not read it, as it wouldn't be a special sub forum with a particular kind of content and rules in mind, like the off topic and the R'lyeh are.
1. Discussions about books belong in the Arts subforum.
2. Off Topic is fine for Asexualism. I'm sorry you feel it got buried, but how do you know it won't get buried if we add another subforum?

We're a pretty busy board; traffic moves quickly. Honestly, I don't see where you think it got buried. I click on "Today's Posts" and, right now, it's fourth from the top, and so far it's three pages long; not exactly a flop...

Sometimes, too, you might find a topic extremely interesting, but the rest of the forum, in your words, is "meh" about it. Don't take it personally; some topics just don't fit with the current forum-at-large. Another suggestion is to title your threads to be less ambiguous. "Meh" doesn't exactly tell people what the topic of your thread is, so they're less likely to click on it.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
(July 9, 2015 at 2:01 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: 1. Discussions about books belong in the Arts subforum.
2. Off Topic is fine for Asexualism.  I'm sorry you feel it got buried, but how do you know it won't get buried if we add another subforum?

We're a pretty busy board; traffic moves quickly. Honestly, I don't see where you think it got buried. I click on "Today's Posts" and, right now, it's fourth from the top, and so far it's three pages long; not exactly a flop...

Sometimes, too, you might find a topic extremely interesting, but the rest of the forum, in your words, is "meh" about it. Don't take it personally; some topics just don't fit with the current forum-at-large. Another suggestion is to title your threads to be less ambiguous. "Meh" doesn't exactly tell people what the topic of your thread is, so they're less likely to click on it.

Arts subforum: A forum for discussion of literature, music, film, theatre, and anything else considered art. Non-fiction and academic literature are not considered art. You might see why I have a problem about putting my thread there.

I was not talking about the asexualism thread. My books thread got buried, and I think more people might like to know about it, but it's like google, you only check the first page, and in such a subforum where there are light hearted discussions, you might not care too much about a serious one about books.

I merely mentioned the asexualism thread because given it's subject it might serve my suggestion. Where would I post a thread about asexualism? Sure, I posted it in off topic with not a very serious discussion in mind, but doesn't that exactly prove my point? Whereas my books thread doesn't fit naturally anywhere and is as serious as it gets.
(July 9, 2015 at 2:06 pm)excitedpenguin Wrote:
(July 9, 2015 at 2:01 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: 1. Discussions about books belong in the Arts subforum.
2. Off Topic is fine for Asexualism.  I'm sorry you feel it got buried, but how do you know it won't get buried if we add another subforum?

Arts subforum: A forum for discussion of literature, music, film, theatre, and anything else considered art. Non-fiction is not considered art. You might see why I have a problem about putting my thread there.

I was not talking about the asexualism thread. My books thread got buried, and I think more people might like to know about it, but it's like google, you only check the first page, and in such a subforum where there are light hearted discussions, you might not care too much about a serious one about books.

People talk about non-fiction here all the time; more than fiction, as a matter of fact. Your thread has gotten some traffic, the last post being yesterday. There are many many active topics on the board; maybe yours is just one people aren't that stoked about. How do you know people only check the first page? Just because that's something you do? I don't; I look at "Today's Posts" and keep clicking on the threads I think I might find interesting, all the way (sometimes five or six pages) until there aren't anymore "Today's Posts" to view. Everyone browses the forum differently.
That doesn't address the problem in the least. The fact is, there are no subforums to talk about a variety of subjects, asexuality and non-fiction books being one of them. I came up with a suggestion to solve this problem. You guys are just coming up with excuses, ignoring the problem altogether. Thanks a lot.
This is just laughable, to be honest. Fine, then, I'll seek another forum where such topics might be given the chance and place to be talked about in a serious manner.
Just because you're presenting a problem that you have specifically, doesn't mean there's actually a problem on the board. You can fit any topic to any of the subforums we have. Also, this is just my opinion, not the opinion of staff as a whole. If more staff thinks this is a thing we should look at, I'm sure we will discuss it. We don't make decisions in a vacuum.
Quote:You can fit any topic to any of the subforums we have.

That is demonstrably wrong, as I have already shown. The fact is, you can only talk about some subjects in this forum, and you can only talk about anything you want in a modified atmosphere, one where either personal attacks are the norm, or "light-hearted" discussions are.

This forum is not perfect just because you happen to be moderating it. Get that premise out of your head and maybe you'll stop making irrelevant excuses. I expect more from the staff, apparently. Maybe that's my fault.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suggestion: Install Soma Tablet Depositories On All Threads Violet 17 2479 May 3, 2020 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Suggestion: atheism source links Foxaèr 3 1094 April 28, 2019 at 9:52 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Does this already exist? If not, count it as a suggestion Reltzik 26 2958 October 3, 2018 at 11:08 am
Last Post: Joods
  Sub forum suggestion Joods 2 976 July 15, 2018 at 2:25 pm
Last Post: brewer
  New Code suggestion Joods 30 4822 May 21, 2018 at 7:56 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Compulsory swearing subsection suggestion I_am_not_mafia 47 6304 May 13, 2018 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Civility subsection suggestion Catholic_Lady 400 46451 May 11, 2018 at 10:36 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  Min's Rep Indication Suggestion Edwardo Piet 42 4090 October 19, 2017 at 10:25 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  Suggestion for debate forum ErGingerbreadMandude 1 1257 December 20, 2016 at 5:07 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Tagging suggestion Foxaèr 12 2450 November 19, 2016 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: Cyberman