Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Social Contracts
Social Contracts
It seems damn near impossible for theists (I might as well narrow it down to Christians, since they are who I have the most experience with, even on AF) to imagine a moral code without god. As if, even if they understand the concept, it's too flimsy for them to except morality as "merely" a social agreement. So, I wondered if there was a good tangible example of a vulnerable social contract that works everyday even though it seems it shouldn't. I came up with money. I'm sure there are other examples, but this is something they can see and feel. What say you? Would money be a good argument for those who say morality is objective, and that a moral code built around the agreement of the community would never work?

I think the parallels work swimmingly. Currency is different, not only for every country you visit, but it changes with time within a given area; same as morality, except money is tangible.

Even better, they couldn't claim money as an "objective truth" invented by god. Also, I know I couldn't have been the first to draw this comparison, if its any good.

So go ahead and tear this apart for me and/or provide a better example, as I'm sure there are more.
RE: Social Contracts
Although some, if not many, religious people believe that their moral code is stemmed from their religious beliefs I believe that is just how they are perceiving the inherent morality that 9/10 of us intrinsically live life by.

For example, a Christian might say that they will not steal from 7-Eleven because God will judge them and punish them but ultimately it's probably due to the fact that stealing from others causes those being stolen from harm which most of us will feel bad about doing. We know what it would feel like to be stolen from so we don't really want to do it to others. Hurting others hurts the community which ultimately hurts you.

In other words, they are just giving credit to their god and doctrine for something that is probably just human nature for most of us. This merely confirms their bias to themselves in a way.
Oh, I agree, but how would you demonstrate that to them? I think the arbitrary value (and lack thereof) of money would be a good teaching tool (if I'm willing to kid myself).
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
I think money is an excellent way to create that analogy and would make an excellent tool for explaining that to people. I also think most any theist you'd care to discuss it with would simply shit all over it with false logic and emotional arguments before declaring themselves the winner.
Verbatim from the mouth of Jesus (retranslated from a retranslation of a copy of a copy):

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you too will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. How can you see your brother's head up his ass when your own vision is darkened by your head being even further up your ass? How can you say to your brother, 'Get your head out of your ass,' when all the time your head is up your own ass? You hypocrite! First take your head out of your own ass, and then you will see clearly who has his head up his ass and who doesn't." Matthew 7:1-5 (also Luke 6: 41-42)

Also, I has a website: www.RedbeardThePink.com
Yeah, I'm kidding myself. Tongue Thanks for seconding that, oh fictional one.

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
I wonder how they would argue that? They'd probably try to change the subject-

"Well, that there's why I think we should go back to the gold standard."

Then they'd draw parallels to the gold standard and objective morality. Buttholes.

But even then, we could demonstrate how the gold standard retarded growth and capitalism, which necessitated the movement towards an arbitrary social agreement, much the same as our continued progression away from unequalities like slavery and civil injustices.

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
There's also the fact that the "gold standard," like the value of anything, is completely subjective and changes with time. There is no such thing as objective value, just as there is no such thing as objective morality. The value of gold, like the value of the dollar, is an arbitrary social agreement.
Verbatim from the mouth of Jesus (retranslated from a retranslation of a copy of a copy):

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you too will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. How can you see your brother's head up his ass when your own vision is darkened by your head being even further up your ass? How can you say to your brother, 'Get your head out of your ass,' when all the time your head is up your own ass? You hypocrite! First take your head out of your own ass, and then you will see clearly who has his head up his ass and who doesn't." Matthew 7:1-5 (also Luke 6: 41-42)

Also, I has a website: www.RedbeardThePink.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sexual Abuse in Social Context: Clergy and other (Secular) Professionals. Nishant Xavier 61 3810 July 16, 2023 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  We atheists now have our own social network rado84 16 1745 August 12, 2021 at 7:51 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
Information [Serious] How many reasonable solutions are there to any particular social issue? Prof.Lunaphiles 69 7038 April 11, 2020 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Social void & questions rskovride 3 1262 March 7, 2018 at 11:24 pm
Last Post: rskovride
  The acts of Virtues derive from a Soul or social obligation? CristW 6 2375 September 11, 2015 at 3:06 pm
Last Post: CristW
  The new Social Media frontier for Atheists! The Atheist Corner 16 2956 December 9, 2014 at 8:08 am
Last Post: ManMachine
  Atheism Kills Off the Ambition of the Lower Classes and Makes them Anti-Social Blackrook 59 28964 July 9, 2014 at 7:05 pm
Last Post: Amalynne0
  If Social Darwinism is good, then why does this guy look so unhappy Reymonad 7 1568 November 25, 2013 at 11:20 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  Never been to social atheist events. What to expect? TaraJo 6 3293 July 4, 2013 at 5:18 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Social Darwinism: Right or Wrong Reasonable_Jeff 119 39634 November 26, 2012 at 9:37 pm
Last Post: Whateverist