Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 8:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello There
Hello There
Hello all, 

My name is David and I come from the Christian viewpoint and enjoy having cordial, respectful discord with others on questions we all have.  I come from the view that we all have struggles, all have questions, all have doubts and not out to convert anyone or bully my views on others and I do expect the same in return.  I'm looking forward to some intellectual conversing.
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.
RE: Hello There
Hello David, welcome Smile

That sounds good to me! I look forward to chatting with you.

This is a little list of useful tips for people who are just joining that may not be obvious right away. You may want to skim through this at first and refer back to it later. Click below to reveal my new member guide!

Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
'Sup dawg.
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
Hi David Hi welcome to AF
Helllleeeerrrrr!

[Image: madeaonstage.jpg]
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Welcome Big Grin
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

Welcome.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(July 16, 2015 at 9:12 am)lkingpinl Wrote: Hello all, 

My name is David and I come from the Christian viewpoint
Welcome, welcome...
Enjoy your time around here!
May I ask which particular branch of christianity do you follow?

(July 16, 2015 at 9:12 am)lkingpinl Wrote: and enjoy having cordial, respectful discord with others on questions we all have.  
This forum does allow for some heated discussions, so you may come across some people who may seem less respecting or cordial than you'd prefer... and there are also people who tick all those boxes.
Explore your user control panel - the ignore function lets you ignore particular users who you may find are not conducting themselves properly (except for the staff).

(July 16, 2015 at 9:12 am)lkingpinl Wrote: I come from the view that we all have struggles, all have questions, all have doubts and not out to convert anyone or bully my views on others and I do expect the same in return.  I'm looking forward to some intellectual conversing.

Any question is welcome, but do try to keep away from those that have been done to death - there's a search function that should give you a few hints if a particular theme has been explored.
If it hasn't been done yet, or you'd like to bring forth a new point of view, feel free to start a new thread. Smile Try not to necropost.

Intellectual conversing is why most of us are here, too! Smile
Enjoy!
Theists are welcome here, but do not expect Mr Roger's Neighborhood. Your claims will get picked on. Some here like a more library type discussion, while others like me don't mind the verbal boxing ring.

Humans have rights, but claims as ideas do not diserve to be blasphemy free. You can claim the Yankees won the Superbowl, but that would still be a BS claim.

Treat us as individuals and don't assume that our attacking a claim is a personal attack. But don't think we are lost puppies for you to save.

Welcome, keep the above in mind, you should have a more enjoyable stay.
Thanks all for the welcome and tips Smile

I am not here to save anyone as I am intelligent enough to know I can make no such claim to have the ability to do so. Just here for some intellectual banter from time to time. Smart enough to know I don't know everything and respectful enough to know we all have freedom of our own choices and beliefs. I like discussions that provoke thought and research, and prefer to stay away from quips and ad hominem attacks.

I am on a self proclaimed atheist board so as a theist I don't expect a lot of "mr roger's neighborhood" as you put it. But I also don't view it as going in to "enemy camp" or proverbial "lion's den" if you will. We are all people, asking the same questions and arriving to different conclusions. No more, no less.

As for a branch of Christianity, I am a believer in the person of Jesus Christ and not a religious fanatic (i don't attend church regularly because I take many issue with today's church itself) and do not espouse myself to one particular branch though I would see my scriptural beliefs fall most in line with Lutherans
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello there! ShinyCrystals 15 1201 September 1, 2023 at 4:42 pm
Last Post: galaxycliffnix
  Hello there! R-Farmer 32 2424 June 10, 2023 at 8:41 am
Last Post: R-Farmer
Big Grin Hello there! vytautas 14 1018 August 22, 2020 at 4:42 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  [Serious] Hello there! Fellow atheist here! ThinkingIsThinking 48 5276 December 18, 2019 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Hello there EarnieBanks 5 842 May 18, 2019 at 3:08 am
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Hello there! Aliza 51 12149 July 21, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  Hello there! YouOnlyLiveTwice 12 2262 July 4, 2017 at 4:00 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Hello there Mr.Obvious 32 6644 May 30, 2017 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: Ben Davis
  Hello there, I am new here. SuperSentient 18 3763 March 4, 2017 at 1:17 am
Last Post: Seraphina
  Hello There! Just One More Irreligious Brat who Fell Out of Their Religion MrNoTheism 11 1637 October 31, 2016 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas