Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You cant try to place yourself in God's mind
You cant try to place yourself in God's mind
No this is not a theist thread Tongue

By that i mean that during a debate with a theist, never say
"if God's all-powerful and all-loving why doesnt he:
-stop hunger
-destroy evil
-make the human body perfect or better
-stop us from suffering
-start helping people without them knowing he did it

because these arguments will NEVER reach a theist, who will simply says "God has its ways that we cannot understand, no human can know what God wants"

And then you cannot say anything because it arrives in the domain of irrational faith.
RE: You cant try to place yourself in God's mind
To which you reply...." So your god is a dick and you're okay with that? "
(April 24, 2010 at 1:59 pm)Minimalist Wrote: To which you reply...." So your god is a dick and you're okay with that? "

You can't say that. God's actions may look like he's being a dick (at least to a human point of view), but he's doing it for the greater good, so that the future is better. And since you're not omniscient you can't judge him. I agree with Rwandrall: this argument is a bad one Confused
[Image: pPQu8.png]
A couple of baby-murdering quotes out of their own babble should be enough to shut them up about that.

These assholes usually tend to be "pro-life" after all.

I don't buy this god-works-in-mysterious-ways horseshit. That's for dolts who don't want to think.
So how can they then claim to know the will of god?

Which is a phrase that gets trotted out on a regular basis.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Oh I don't know....but for me "Hot Fuzz" the movie did wonders to bring home just how 'good' the 'greater good' can be. I think that IF this deity really existed he/she/it would be ashamed of it's/his/hers worshipers.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(April 25, 2010 at 12:26 am)Zen Badger Wrote: So how can they then claim to know the will of god?

Which is a phrase that gets trotted out on a regular basis.

Well what they pretty much say is that God's will is expressed in the Bible literally, however when he does things that dont fit in with his description in the New Testament (all-loving God as opposed to the Old Testament's hardcore slaughterer God) they just say he works in mysterious ways...

Its terrible because it closes off all the things we could say about God being unefficient, incompetent, or plain racist.
The strange thing is that this god of theirs seems to embody all the things we find ignoble in humans.

Jealousy, murder, intolerance, hatred, genocide, incompetence, etc,etc....

Yet they hold him up as some sort of perfect being.

Any human displaying the qualities he possesses would be jailed for their behaviour.

Take the Great Flood, because of the immoral behaviour of a small group of humans(a very small % of the planets population)

He decides to wipe out almost all life on Earth.

A much more efficent and intelligent approach would have been to inflict a species specific virus on humanity(terminal haemerroids springs to mind for

some reason) thereby sparing the rest of the biosphere.

But no, we'll have a huge tantrum and destroy EVERTHING.

Very merciful.
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(April 25, 2010 at 4:50 am)Zen Badger Wrote: The strange thing is that this god of theirs seems to embody all the things we find ignoble in humans.

Jealousy, murder, intolerance, hatred, genocide, incompetence, etc,etc....

Yet they hold him up as some sort of perfect being.

Any human displaying the qualities he possesses would be jailed for their behaviour.

Take the Great Flood, because of the immoral behaviour of a small group of humans(a very small % of the planets population)

He decides to wipe out almost all life on Earth.

A much more efficent and intelligent approach would have been to inflict a species specific virus on humanity(terminal haemerroids springs to mind for

some reason) thereby sparing the rest of the biosphere.

But no, we'll have a huge tantrum and destroy EVERTHING.

Very merciful.

well God isnt perfect in the Old Testament. God is considered like the Greek Gods: with human qualities. The people who wrote the New Testament realized that an universally loving God is much more appealing than a God who has a chosen people and fucks up all the rest.
Even the NT god isn't all that loving.

Look at the shit he pulls in revelations.

Satan is a saint compared to him.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question on mind miaharun 19 998 March 3, 2022 at 11:57 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  I shouldn't have to try so hard Foxaèr 23 3172 August 29, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Satirical logic for the atheistic mind Drich 158 17901 June 13, 2018 at 9:22 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Don't like saying "I'm an atheist"? Try this instead. Gawdzilla Sama 40 7797 January 22, 2018 at 6:53 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Get those kids o there! (Theists at Jacksonville try to pray Hurricane Irma away) causal code 20 6246 September 11, 2017 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  "I refuse to change my mind" Socrates 41 5990 March 2, 2017 at 4:39 am
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  Even if you choose not to believe in god, you’re actually believing in god Blueyedlion 160 15447 June 5, 2016 at 6:07 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Some kind words from the usual place FebruaryOfReason 6 1504 March 3, 2016 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: FebruaryOfReason
  Religion - The Poison For Human Mind (VIDEO) BLuex 1 1184 December 20, 2015 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Theists: Can god read my mind? robvalue 27 6359 July 25, 2015 at 8:47 am
Last Post: ignoramus