Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there enough time for SPECIATION for million species
Is there enough time for SPECIATION for million species
I wud like to know if speciation really occurs (trans-speciation), Have we had enough time for millions of species? The slow changes in traits in organisms, taking tens of thousands of years to yield a visible change in variation as evolution suggests, does eventually trap yourself in to a problem of "Time Riddle" - you just dont have enormous enough of time at hand for all these species to come into being. A quick average time calculation suggests that you should have a new species come into being every 15-20 yrs [just rough average time estimation suggests that in about 1 billion yrs ~50 million distinct species evolved]. Though I believe in evolution but I cant understand this part.
RE: Is there enough time for SPECIATION for million species
The amount of speciation is going to become more and more rapid as you move down the tree, as it can happen simultaneously amongst different species that have spread out. It's not going to be a constant rate.

So taking this very roughly to be an exponential model, then yeah, plenty of time.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
High estimates for the number of species currently extant are around 14 million. 

Evidence for the beginning of life on Earth has reliably been dated to around 3.8 billion years ago.

So...yes.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Cambrian explosion?
No, I just spilt some apple juice on my shorts.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(July 30, 2015 at 4:22 am)Neimenovic Wrote: Cambrian explosion?

What about it?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(July 30, 2015 at 4:24 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(July 30, 2015 at 4:22 am)Neimenovic Wrote: Cambrian explosion?

What about it?

Boru

Well, the OP sounds like he means that emergence of new species is an isolated event, but it can happen simultaneously with many new species emerging at the same time......But I'm probably just misunderstanding him though, nvm
(July 30, 2015 at 4:16 am)drkfuture Wrote: I wud like to know if speciation really occurs (trans-speciation), Have we had enough time for millions of species? The slow changes in traits in organisms, taking tens of thousands of years to yield a visible change in variation as evolution suggests, does eventually trap yourself in to a problem of "Time Riddle" - you just dont have enormous enough of time at hand for all these species to come into being. A quick average time calculation suggests that you should have a new species come into being every 15-20 yrs [just rough average time estimation suggests that in about 1 billion yrs ~50 million distinct species evolved]. Though I believe in evolution but I cant understand this part.

First off all your rate isn't as outrageous as you think, bacteria and single celled organisms can do that. However boru is right, so re-run your calculation with his numbers.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
What time do you think we have?

http://youtu.be/iwuz1z7yYQ4

Index of my best videos
(July 30, 2015 at 4:31 am)Lemonvariable72 Wrote:
(July 30, 2015 at 4:16 am)drkfuture Wrote: I wud like to know if speciation really occurs (trans-speciation), Have we had enough time for millions of species? The slow changes in traits in organisms, taking tens of thousands of years to yield a visible change in variation as evolution suggests, does eventually trap yourself in to a problem of "Time Riddle" - you just dont have enormous enough of time at hand for all these species to come into being. A quick average time calculation suggests that you should have a new species come into being every 15-20 yrs [just rough average time estimation suggests that in about 1 billion yrs ~50 million distinct species evolved]. Though I believe in evolution but I cant understand this part.

First off all your rate isn't as outrageous as you think, bacteria and single celled organisms can do that. However boru is right, so re-run your calculation with his numbers.

I just got a tad light-headed.  I hear 'boru is right' so very, very rarely.  I'm giddy with excitement.

Boru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's your stance on bringing back extinct species? Fake Messiah 80 2346 March 12, 2024 at 8:50 am
Last Post: brewer
  Game changing face from 3.8 million years ago Fake Messiah 18 1510 December 22, 2019 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  New human species discovered in the Phillipines downbeatplumb 5 640 April 13, 2019 at 6:17 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Bumblebee officially added to endangered species list Foxaèr 13 1330 July 3, 2018 at 3:06 pm
  Without rape, most animal species would go extinct Alexmahone 34 4418 May 25, 2018 at 11:25 am
Last Post: sdelsolray
  Strange troglodyte species found in Turkmenistan cave Foxaèr 4 852 September 26, 2017 at 7:18 am
  12.9 million infants not vaxed in 2016 Foxaèr 10 3401 July 24, 2017 at 12:28 am
Last Post: Astonished
  99 million Year Old Bird Transition Found Amarok 14 5335 June 9, 2017 at 8:41 am
Last Post: Amarok
  New Species Found in Oregon brewer 31 6283 February 11, 2016 at 10:34 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Do you think we could/will ever have two dominant[prime] species? Heat 11 3315 November 21, 2015 at 9:12 pm
Last Post: ignoramus