Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 5:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Does It Feel?
How Does It Feel?
This is the third thread in which I ask theists very simple questions that deserve very simple answers. The last one was Am I Going To Hell?

The questions I propose to you are:
  1. Why are you, as a theist, on this forum?
  2. What goes through your mind when an atheist responds to one of your posts by pointing out its logical fallacies and glaring mistakes?
  3. Have you ever ignored one of these responses by not responding back?
  4. Have you ever defended yourself with something you know has inherent flaws, but do it anyway?
  5. Have you ever changed your mind by reading an atheist's response to you?
  6. If not, then why bother being part of a discussion that goes no where?

Thanks!
RE: How Does It Feel?
(August 2, 2015 at 1:10 am)Shuffle Wrote: This is the third thread in which I ask theists very simple questions that deserve very simple answers. The last one was Am I Going To Hell?

2. What goes through your mind when an atheist responds to one of your posts by pointing out its logical fallacies and glaring mistakes?
  4. Have you ever defended yourself with something you know has inherent flaws, but do it anyway?

Thanks!

1) Why, because I like the challenge to what I know, it makes me stronger.

2) My thought, if they only knew what I do they would sing a different song.

3) Sure, some are just not worth the time and some I've explained till I was blue in the face and see no need to do it again.

4) No.

5) Not about what I believe, no. About some things yes, but probably not as they intended.

6) I can ask you the same thing, I do bcause as I said it makes me stronger, I learn.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(August 2, 2015 at 10:38 pm)Godschild Wrote:  2) My thought, if they only knew what I do they would sing a different song.
 3) Sure, some are just not worth the time and some I've explained till I was blue in the face and see no need to do it again.
 4) No.
 5) Not about what I believe, no. About some things yes, but probably not as they intended.
 6) I can ask you the same thing, I do bcause as I said it makes me stronger, I learn

2) You can never "know" anything for certain. That is why 99% of everything in science is called a theory.
3) Do you know how many times you have responded to one of my posts and I get sick to my stomach thinking that I have to respond back?
4) I find that hard to believe. Many times I have received verbal diarrhea from you. It seems that you spit out anything you possibly can so it doesn't seem like you are hiding from responses.
5) Elaborate, please?
6) I am learning things new every time I post one of these threads.
I am very interested in why most theists on here seem to have no regard for the importance of logical fallacies. Do they:

-Not understand them
-Think they're not important
-Assume they can't be making such mistakes
-Not care if any particular argument is valid or not

I don't know. Getting into the mind of someone who can brush this all aside (or does so subconsciously) is hard for me. Even those clearly intelligent enough to learn and improve their thinking seem to utterly refuse to do so, even when given every opportunity here.

If I had to guess at the reality of the situation, I'd say people generally believe because of emotional reasons (often implanted with indoctrination) and then try to convince themselves as much as anyone else that there are logical reasons for the belief. But since these logical arguments are not the basis, they aren't too important to the believer so learning to analyse them critically is not something they're willing to do or care about.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Rob, the problem is most believers of the skydaddy, start with the belief and then look for supportive reasons, so they subconsciously filter out anything that isn't supporting their conclusion.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Theists are cray. /the end.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(August 3, 2015 at 2:52 am)Aoi Magi Wrote: Rob, the problem is most believers of the skydaddy, start with the belief and then look for supportive reasons, so they subconsciously filter out anything that isn't supporting their conclusion.

That's a very good summary. It's one big confirmation bias, and I suppose logical fallacies are just another thing to filter out if they are getting in the way.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(August 2, 2015 at 1:10 am)Shuffle Wrote: This is the third thread in which I ask theists very simple questions that deserve very simple answers. The last one was Am I Going To Hell?

Thanks!

1) I am theist because God exists, this forum has nothing to do with it.  Why are you asking?  Theists are not allowed on the forum?
2) Atheist have not made any sound arguments.
3) Perhaps, I try not to.
4) Not clear here, need example of what you are trying to say here.   If you are talking about beliefs then yes I defend my beliefs
5) This goes back to my response 2) - Atheist have not made any sound arguments.
6) This question applies equally to you as it does to me.

Thanks!

1) To stand witness.

2) That generally doesn't happen since most of the objections are flawed, straw men, or non-sequitors.

3) Sometimes the objections are so willfully ignorant or belligerent that I don't bother wasting my time to correct them.

4) Twice. Once having to do with equating nihilism and atheism (which was primarily an error of semantics) and another time regarding the underlying cause of a medical condition (not related to theology).

5) To stand witness.
(August 3, 2015 at 1:29 pm)ChadWooters Wrote:

Thanks!

Quote:1) To stand witness.

To what?

Quote:2) That generally doesn't happen since most of the objections are flawed, straw men, or non-sequitors.

So you refuse to see objections to your "arguments" as real.

Quote:3) Sometimes the objections are so willfully ignorant or belligerent that I don't bother wasting my time to correct them.

Oh the irony.

Quote:4) Twice. Once having to do with equating nihilism and atheism (which was primarily an error of semantics) and another time regarding the underlying cause of a medical condition (not related to theology).

5) To stand witness.

What are you witnessing?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you feel about all these creationists? suddenlymark 32 3302 August 15, 2023 at 8:01 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
Question Does anyone else feel disgusted by religious words? Der/die AtheistIn 63 11556 January 17, 2018 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  How do you call someone who is religious only because it makes them feel happy? Der/die AtheistIn 38 7408 November 25, 2017 at 12:31 am
Last Post: c172
  How Do Christians Feel About the Testimony of Muslims and Vice Versa? Rhondazvous 24 4537 September 22, 2017 at 9:34 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  I don't exactly feel the same way I once did. Ryantology 18 2698 January 26, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  I sorta feel like I didn't live up to my Dad's expecatations NuclearEnergy 22 2282 January 2, 2017 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  Should I feel guilty? mlmooney89 11 2100 June 24, 2016 at 12:39 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Do you feel as if religion creates sexual suppression GoHalos1993 31 3747 June 14, 2016 at 11:15 am
Last Post: John V
  Is there a particular term for this? I feel we need one. Regina 18 4008 January 26, 2015 at 4:44 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Local theists, how do you feel about atheists? Whateverist 12 4269 October 4, 2014 at 8:56 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus