Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 3:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
STUDY: Want ‘sustained happiness’? Get religion.
STUDY: Want ‘sustained happiness’? Get religion.
Question: What is the best way to achieve "sustained happiness"? Is it by:

1) volunteering or working with a charity;
2) taking educational courses;
3) participating in religious organizations; or
4) participating in a political or community organization?

Answer: 3.

Researchers at the London School of Economics and Erasmus University Medical Center in the Netherlands found that the secret to sustained happiness lies in participating in religious organizations. Of the four, participating in a religious organization was the [u]only social activity associated with sustained happiness[/u], researchers found.

Now, my question is: what if you get involved in a local church (3) that has an outreach to the poor and homeless in the local community (1 & 4) and offers Bible study classes (2)?

Seems to me you'd be so happy you could hardly stand it. [Image: ani_yup.gif]

Want ‘sustained happiness’? Get religion, study suggests
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-...-suggests/

Social Participation and Depression in Old Age: A Fixed-Effects Analysis in 10 European Countries
http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/182/2/168.short
RE: STUDY: Want ‘sustained happiness’? Get religion.
Wow, Sherlok, who would have guessed?

Quote:We examined whether changes in different forms of social participation were associated with changes in depressive symptoms in older Europeans.

You are aware that religion is only one kind of social participation? Also, did you read or acknowledge this?

Quote:Participation in religious organizations may offer mental health benefits beyond those offered by other forms of social participation.

I mean the bolded part. May...
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(August 15, 2015 at 11:20 am)abaris Wrote: Wow, Sherlok, who would have guessed?

Quote:We examined whether changes in different forms of social participation were associated with changes in depressive symptoms in older Europeans.

You are aware that religion is only one kind of social participation? Also, did you read or acknowledge this?

Quote:Participation in religious organizations may offer mental health benefits beyond those offered by other forms of social participation.

I mean the bolded part. May...

[Image: hmmm.gif]

YOU don't seem very happy...are you European?

[Image: tongue.gif]
Ah, a shaky appeal to emotion. 2/10 must do better.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
(August 15, 2015 at 11:31 am)Randy Carson Wrote: YOU don't seem very happy...are you European?

[Image: tongue.gif]

I'm a person who actually reads what is linked to. Did you? - so tell me about the meaning of the word "may". Other than the month of course.

But I guess that would destroy your talking point. Even more so, since there are numerous other studies out, concerning old age happiness.
The happiness or unhappiness of religious people has no bearing on the validity of religious claims.

Also.....Are you suggesting that one can choose to believe....and that we should because it will make us feel fuzzy?
(August 15, 2015 at 11:44 am)Neimenovic Wrote: Also.....Are you suggesting that one can choose to believe....and that we should because it will make us feel fuzzy?

Don't let him off the hook by turning this into a different direction. He's being assertive where the study authors speak about a possibility. The only assertivness they offer is the fact that humans don't feel so good if they're not socially active. Well, that's hardly news.
I find my participating in social gatherings lowers my happiness and increases my anxiety. I also get headaches, stomach aches, an nausea until I get home, and that's just hanging out at a friends house.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
(August 15, 2015 at 11:47 am)abaris Wrote:
(August 15, 2015 at 11:44 am)Neimenovic Wrote: Also.....Are you suggesting that one can choose to believe....and that we should because it will make us feel fuzzy?

Don't let him off the hook by turning this into a different direction. He's being assertive where the study authors speak about a possibility. The only assertivness they offer is the fact that humans don't feel so good if they're not socially active. Well, that's hardly news.

Sorry, it's that irreligious generosity kicking in.

And the fact remains that this has nothing to do with actual belief in a god or gods. A secular organization could provide everything mentored in the OP and have the same impact on people.

....But I guess if Randy were to acknowledge that, he'd have to stop being so smug. IOW, ain't gonna happen -_-
Also, one wonders about the validity of any subjective response from a believer when juxtaposed with "or church?"

ie "What makes you happier? Volunteering or going to church?" What do you think a believer will answer, when Jeesus is listening?
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evangelicals, Trump and a Quick Bible Study DeistPaladin 52 4665 November 9, 2020 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  didnt want to necropost: what completing the law means. Drich 18 1296 May 12, 2020 at 10:51 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Bibe Study 2: Questionable Morality Rhondazvous 30 2849 May 27, 2019 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Vicki Q
  Bible Study: The God who Lies and Deceives Rhondazvous 50 5425 May 24, 2019 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  [Serious] What would you want in a church tackattack 44 3737 March 11, 2019 at 10:10 am
Last Post: chimp3
  Atheist Bible Study 1: Genesis GrandizerII 614 68271 March 9, 2019 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Theists - I want to know what you think LadyForCamus 77 10233 May 14, 2018 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Why does my family want me to be christian so much? Der/die AtheistIn 17 2780 March 29, 2018 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Reason why aliens coming here will want to kill us Fake Messiah 20 6164 October 11, 2017 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Why do Christians want to go to Heaven? Fake Messiah 52 19115 June 28, 2017 at 9:29 am
Last Post: Astonished