Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist Bible Study 1: Genesis
Atheist Bible Study 1: Genesis
Let's have a Bible study for atheists. After reading a particular passage from the Bible, I will be sharing my thoughts on it in threads like this. Feel free to share your thoughts on any verse or passage in the book that this thread corresponds to. Theists, of course, can chime in as well.

FTR, I will be personally using the NIV for these threads, as I feel they do a fair job with the translation, and it's in modern English (as opposed to the archaic language of the KJV).

First Bible study thread is on Genesis, first book in the Old Testament of the Christian Bible. Probably my most favorite book in the whole Bible. Why? Because it does have some really entertaining stories to read, and unlike others, I love reading lists of names with brief stories about some of them. While the ancient Greek and Norse myths had much more fascinating stories, none of the stories in this particular book of the Bible actually bore me. I think going though Genesis (again) is going to be an enjoyable experience for me.

My first post here will be on Genesis 1 and the first three verses of Genesis 2, which is all about the seven days of Creation. I just had a read of this passage a short while ago, and the first thing that comes to mind here is how easily digestible the passage is. In fact, virtually every passage in Genesis is fairly easy to read (for me, at least).

Of course, from a modern scientific perspective, there are clearly quite some falsehoods in this passage. But as an atheist, I have no burden to try to explain away these falsehoods. That's all on literalist Christians. As far as I'm concerned, it's a very nice cosmogony myth story. Not the best, but still beautiful and interesting, providing us with a window into the scientifically naive but creative thoughts of the ancient.

The passage starts with God creating the heavens and the earth. There is no mention of what happened before that, if there was any "before" to that. Interestingly enough, there is nothing here that explicitly says God has always been, despite what some commentaries and children's Bible books tend to say. Another thing I find interesting is that God had already created the heavens and the earth from day one, and yet there is an apparent contradiction to this a bit later in the passage. Some people argue that the first couple verses in Genesis 1 are an overview summary, with the rest of the chapter expanding on it. I have to strongly disagree with this, as the flow (at least in the English translations) doesn't seem to suggest this at all. Also to consider is mention of the waters in the first couple verses. Did God create these waters, or have they always been? And did they occupy every part of space (covering the whole of the heavens and the earth)? Even in modern language, it's hard to tell what exactly is going on here.

Then God creates light, separating it from darkness. Seems like light is treated here as some distinct entity that can somehow be "peeled" away from darkness. Is darkness really being treated here as the absence of light? Whatever the case may be, light was created, and thus night and day came to be, and the first day passes. But when exactly did the first day in this context start? From the very beginning, when God created the heavens and the earth? Or when he created light? Maybe when he first created light, he kept it inseparable from darkness for the duration of the first evening, and then separated it from darkness to indicate morning? And, yes, I know, light without suns and stars, right? Seems like the ancients had a very different conception of light than we moderns do.

I'm going to cut it here for now, and continue my commentary on this passage later today (since I have work soon). Just thought I'd get this going now nevertheless.
RE: Atheist Bible Study 1: Genesis
Awesome thread idea!

Might I suggest that you go back and forth between the OT and NT for each book? Ex: Genesis, Matthew, Exodus, Mark... etc.--- OT is such a slog, y'know?
Oh Genesis. Probably one of the last books you'd want a nonbeliever to read, if you want the rest of the book to be taken seriously. The creation story, Eden, the flood, Babel, Abraham and Isaac, and maybe something I forget.

Christians will say he created everything, and yet outer space and a globe of water seemed to exist before the story even started. I'm not sure how you can have light without the sun. And the light can't be god, unless the verse means he turned himself into light, whereas he wasn't light beforehand. It mentions the sun and moon will be lesser and greater lights, but the first light is just an enigma.

There are a lot of what happens that goes against how we know the world works today, making the creation story more or less meaningless.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

When I want to shove a bible verse up some moron's ass I always use the KJV.  Piss-poor though it is all the morons swear by it!  Cuz, ya know, Jesus spoke 16th-17th century English!
"In the beginning someone made some shit up...

...and billions still believe it
Dying to live, living to die.
Great thread.

Not to jump ahead, but to jump ahead, the opening of Genesis 2 is troubling - why would the ineffable, all-powerful omnimax being require a day of rest? What sort of rest did he take?  Was he doing and discarding designs for the Garden, deciding how many noses Adam should have, or was God just having a kip?  No one seems to know.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
[Image: Jesus_facepalm.jpg]
<insert profound quote here>
(October 14, 2018 at 5:49 pm)Grandizer Wrote: Let's have a Bible study for atheists. 

When you get a chance, could you let us know how you'd like to proceed?

I'm pretty sure that everybody posting here knows full well that a literalist reading is dumb. Some people like to repeat that every so often. 

But I suspect you know that Origen, Augustine, and Aquinas also thought that a literalist reading was untenable. Not to mention all the non-literalist Christians there are today. 

Sometimes when I bring up those people I'm told that since the rank-and-file Christians at the church on the corner are literalists, then that's what we should focus on. Do you have a theme in mind?
^^^, aw you're making his sky-daddy/son cry! Hilarious
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
[Image: if-you-find-answers-in-genesis-youre-not...398936.png]

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is this a contradiction or am I reading it wrong? Genesis 5:28 Ferrocyanide 110 9396 April 10, 2023 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  There are no answers in Genesis LinuxGal 248 20018 March 24, 2023 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44099 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Evangelicals, Trump and a Quick Bible Study DeistPaladin 52 4688 November 9, 2020 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Bibe Study 2: Questionable Morality Rhondazvous 30 2857 May 27, 2019 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Vicki Q
  Bible Study: The God who Lies and Deceives Rhondazvous 50 5435 May 24, 2019 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Genesis interpretations - how many are there? Fake Messiah 129 17124 January 22, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: donlor
  Free interpretation of the Genesis 3:5 KJV theBorg 19 3722 November 13, 2016 at 2:03 am
Last Post: RiddledWithFear
  Genesis - The Prequel! Time Traveler 12 3252 May 17, 2016 at 1:16 am
Last Post: Love333
  Rewriting the bible part 1 - Genesis dyresand 4 1950 March 12, 2016 at 3:14 am
Last Post: robvalue