Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Request: A sticky-ed thread for what we're reading
Request: A sticky-ed thread for what we're reading
I recently mentioned a book I'd just begun, A Thousand Splendid Suns, on such a thread.  But when I went back to look for it now that I've finished reading it, I couldn't find it.  And when I used the search function to find it I found several 'what you're reading' threads but all of them pretty old w/ nerco-warnings, and none of them the right one.  (I assumed it would be in the Off Topic sub-forum but perhaps not?)

Any how I was going to just pray on it, but then I thought an actual post might be more efficacious.  So I just used my free will to whip this up.  That is all.  Amen.
RE: Request: A sticky-ed thread for what we're reading
I can read a book in a day.
But this 'Allen Carrs Easy Way To Stop Smoking' has taken me two weeks just to get 17 pages in.
He mentioned something about this in the introduction but I forget. :-)
I think it would be very good to have a 'stickied' what are you reading currently?' thread. We have such a varied and interesting membership that it might prompt discussion and expose important works to people that were previously unaware of them. Just ignore the thread if you're not interested, but I get the feeling that members here do tend to read lots of books, articles and essays wether fiction or non-fiction.

FWIW I am currently re-reading Ivan Margary's two volume 'Roman Roads of Britain'. But then I don't expect too much shared interest in thatSmile
Those Romans were so ahead of the times.
Would love to read a condensed version but two volumes sounds a bit off putting. :-)
(August 18, 2015 at 6:34 pm)Little lunch Wrote: Those Romans were so ahead of the times.
Would love to read a condensed version but two volumes sounds a bit off putting. :-)

They are actually quite slim. Margery wrote them in post-war Britain. He was an affluent man with time on his hands and spent most of the 1950's studying maps and travelling around when petrol rations allowed to conduct amateur archaeological surveys on the lines of suspected Roman roads. He is credited with finding hundreds of miles of them. His techniques are still considered viable by modern archaeologists, although they have been surpassed by modern methods like aerial survey and geophysics. He did make some bad mistakes though, but for an amateur he is loved by Romanists like myself in the UK.

To this day Roman archaeologists  in Britain still refer to roman roads by the numbering system that Margary introduced, but as a kind of 'in-joke' they add the preface 'M"' to his numbers. This is funny because (for you American readers) the British highway system of the fastest roads are called Motorways and are prefaced by the letter M. For instance, the notorious M25 is the London orbital motorway, or as we like to call it, Europe's biggest carpark.
Good idea,whatevs!
But I anticipate little traffic on such a thread.
I'm currently reading Isaac Asimov's Foundation.
Planning on reading the whole Foundation saga, but I'm still on the very first.
Some people claim it's one of the best sci-fi around...
I think I read those. Is there a character known as the 'mule'?
Here's your post: https://atheistforums.org/thread-32262-p...pid1024271

How I found it:

1) I went to the search page rather than the box at the top.
2) I put "A Thousand Splendid Suns" into the "Search by Keyword" box (quotes included).
3) I put your username in the "Search by Username" box.
4) I selected the "Show Results as posts" option.
5) I clicked "Search"

Only two results, one was your first post in this thread, and the other was the post you were looking for.
Hey thank you! Hold the special sticky request.
If anyone has any doubt in just what low esteem women are held under Islam, just read A Thousand Splendid Suns.  I've never seen a story struggle so hard to find a happy ending.  What hell it would have been to live in Afghanistan in the last 45 years.  

The author definitely made me care about the characters and these people.  He also kept me guessing quite a while as to why there seemed to be two main characters.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A request to delete my posts in the members photo thread WinterHold 30 4820 July 1, 2020 at 12:03 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Request for a new report feature. Ravenshire 6 1097 May 6, 2018 at 10:53 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Request For Thread Of Mine To Be Deleted MW85 11 2672 January 1, 2018 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  What is the "Buddy List" for? Why must we request/give consent? Whateverist 16 2580 November 3, 2017 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: shadow
  Please Make This Thread a Sticky in the Philosophy Forum Rhondazvous 1 1160 March 10, 2017 at 10:30 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Can I request a temp Ban for a month? Heywood 119 13222 May 27, 2015 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: Mystical
  Deconversion and/or telling the folks sticky thread Welsh cake 4 1985 June 23, 2012 at 5:56 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Request to ignore Tiberius reverendjeremiah 1 2068 February 21, 2012 at 1:38 pm
  request: Tapatalk for this forum leo-rcc 5 2770 June 15, 2011 at 6:10 am
  Important Links and Reading List athoughtfulman 2 2537 March 31, 2009 at 7:47 pm
Last Post: athoughtfulman