Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Banishing consciousness: the mystery of anaesthesia
Banishing consciousness: the mystery of anaesthesia
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21...hesia.html

Quote:The development of general anaesthesia has transformed surgery from a horrific ordeal into a gentle slumber. It is one of the commonest medical procedures in the world, yet we still don't know how the drugs work. Perhaps this isn't surprising: we still don't understand consciousness, so how can we comprehend its disappearance?

More at the link.

'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
RE: Banishing consciousness: the mystery of anaesthesia
untrue. Consciousness has been successfully banished with almost every copy of the bible read.
[Image: 11763389.jpg]

Sorry Chuck, but this flashed in my head when I read your post. Intonation and everything.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
Science will keep looking until they find the answer.

I experienced, or rather recall, being nothing after given sedatives. No different than a computer shutting down and rebooting.

Unconsciousness and/or lack of sensation is not the actual mystery, now evolving life-forms forming the 'illusion of consciousness' unnecessary to its own survival within a universe that is hostile to life regardless of whether it is self-aware of itself or not and its relationship to what it perceives as "reality" however is the mystery.

Consciousness is not reality though, or an accurate picture of our world, it is merely a perception, an 'interpretation' of reality, formed by whatever senses we access via our bodies. I imagine if we could see everything, that is, all frequencies on the electromagnetic spectrum and not just visible light, we'd be blind, unable to differentiate any one thing from anything else. With it, you may grow and develop to love life, however consciousness can obviously be an abomination of annoyance if you have a grim outlook on life or are experiencing a pretty shitty life in general.

I personally think, our brains are so complex its little wonder a consciousness didn't form as a by-product, no different than our imaginations. Sadly when people are brain damaged by birth, disease, injury or malicious assault you see their personality alter substantially, they are no longer the same person and may never recover or interact with reality properly.
My experience as well, before that I had trouble imagining what oblivion would be like. Hours went by and I only perceived dropping off and waking up, seemingly only a moment later.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  On the consciousness of a new born baby Macoleco 8 798 April 7, 2022 at 7:22 am
Last Post: brewer
  LOOK!>> -Consciousness After Death -official <<Clickbait! ignoramus 10 1860 October 19, 2017 at 10:02 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Quantum consciousness... ignoramus 109 15551 August 30, 2017 at 5:32 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Giulio Tononi's Theory of Consciousness Jehanne 11 3327 September 18, 2016 at 6:38 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Intelligence, Consciousness and Soul, oh my; Sy Montgomery's "The Soul of an Octopus" Whateverist 11 2165 February 2, 2016 at 11:10 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Sam Harris On Defining Consciousness Rhondazvous 143 18259 August 28, 2015 at 11:46 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
Lightbulb Abortion/Consciousness/Life TheGamingAtheist 244 41531 October 4, 2014 at 11:06 pm
Last Post: Chas
  The Cambrian Mystery Mudhammam 9 2813 January 24, 2014 at 3:22 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Mystery of horse taming 'solved' by gene study frankiej 8 3941 May 10, 2012 at 4:00 pm
Last Post: kılıç_mehmet
  Fossils foot bones hint at mystery walker frankiej 21 9548 March 31, 2012 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Nine