Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A reason to believe?
A reason to believe?
I don’t have one. Sorry to disappoint you. I’m asking if anyone can provide one. I’m very curious about this. Can anyone give me one reason to believe there is a god? I’m not asking anyone to say something that could actually cause me to believe. Nothing like that. It’s just that I have never, ever been given a reason to believe that god might actually exist that doesn’t presuppose the existence of god.

For example, the threat of eternal damnation and the promise of eternal paradise would be a great reason to believe, but only if god, does indeed, exist. Otherwise, they don’t matter. What I’d like to be able to do is say, “Sure, I can accept that as a reason to believe in god”, even if that reason isn’t enough to believe on its own.

Can anyone offer me a reason to believe that doesn’t require faith?
RE: A reason to believe?
Because it gets you laid
That one doesn't work for me! I'm married. I do remember it fondly, though... and I can tell you the word god was definitely uttered.
(April 29, 2010 at 12:58 pm)Paul the Human Wrote: Can anyone give me one reason to believe there is a god?
*gets on soap box*

Because the Invisible Pink Unicorn is real brother! She sent her only filly, the My Little Pony to be whipped to death for your sins, and even the Sugar Plum Fairy to write her holy pink gospel in your wicked heart. I pray you won’t reject this salvation! This life is the only chance you'll ever have to get it right! Reject her eternal love now and be forever condemned along with the Purple Oyster of Doom!

*gets off soap box*

Damn... I think I just stole most theists' thunder there.
I can't think of any.
The cosmos is also within us. We're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself - Carl Sagan
(April 29, 2010 at 4:31 pm)EggSpurt Wrote: I can't think of any.

ill try Smile

-It gives you a reason for your existence: if you follow the teachings of Jesus the goal of your life is to be a good, kind, generous person.
-It gives you a set of permanent moral values that can guide you through your life.
-It can get you a social network on which you can always count on no matter what happens to you. Even if you sin they will help you repent.
-It is free.

Why NOT believe in God ?
The reason to believe is the quality of life belief gives.

That's the whole point... greater appreciation of life as it can be.
(April 29, 2010 at 4:36 pm)True Christian Wrote:
(April 29, 2010 at 4:31 pm)EggSpurt Wrote: I can't think of any.

ill try Smile

-It gives you a reason for your existence: if you follow the teachings of Jesus the goal of your life is to be a good, kind, generous person.
-It gives you a set of permanent moral values that can guide you through your life.
-It can get you a social network on which you can always count on no matter what happens to you. Even if you sin they will help you repent.
-It is free.

Why NOT believe in God ?

I don't need to believe in god to feel like my life has reason, nor do I need Jesus to have the goal of being a kind and generous person. That one doesn't do it as it would only be a real reason if I believed that god existed.

I don't need god (or Jesus) to have a set of moral values. I know right from wrong without supernatural guidance, so that one doesn't do it, either.

I have a supportive social network that I can always count on in the form of friends and family, no matter what happens to me. That part about sin presupposes that there is such a thing.

Free is good! I'd rather think freely, though. It doesn't cost anything, either.

Thanks for playing, though! Heheh
Quote:It gives you a reason for your existence: if you follow the teachings of Jesus the goal of your life is to be a good, kind, generous person.
Already have that. Don't need religion to have that.

Quote:It gives you a set of permanent moral values that can guide you through your life.
Already have that. You don't need belief in god to be moral.

Quote:It can get you a social network on which you can always count on no matter what happens to you. Even if you sin they will help you repent.
Already have a social network I can always count on. Don't need belief in god for that. Forget the repent shit. All my friends and family are atheists.

Quote:It is free.
So is being an atheist.

Quote:Why NOT believe in God ?
No evidence for gods existance.

Quote:That's the whole point... greater appreciation of life as it can be.
Already have that. You don't need to have a belief in god to appreciate life. Or have a greater appreciation of it.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
(April 29, 2010 at 5:16 pm)Ace Wrote: Already have that. You don't need to have a belief in god to appreciate life. Or have a greater appreciation of it.
How would you know??

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A question about Dawkins enemies of reason documentary Quill01 3 468 April 17, 2022 at 5:25 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  The reason religion is so powerful Macoleco 344 21546 June 30, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Reason Jesus must have been a real person mrj 74 10176 March 5, 2021 at 6:44 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  "How God got started", how god belief + basic reason + writing -> modern humans? Whateverist 26 6728 October 15, 2017 at 12:12 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 7905 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Another Reason Christians are Dangerous Rhondazvous 49 7659 February 5, 2017 at 8:55 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
Question Why disbelievers believe? They believe in so called “God of the gaps”. theBorg 49 8513 August 27, 2016 at 12:25 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Atheists Have the Most Logical Reason for being Moral Rhondazvous 24 7316 January 22, 2016 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Reforged
  The only important reason I'm more powerful than god. Foxaèr 5 1948 November 13, 2015 at 4:24 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  The reason humans believe drfuzzy 31 5767 October 10, 2015 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon