Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:38 am

Poll: .
This poll is closed.
A
89.47%
34 89.47%
B
7.89%
3 7.89%
C
2.63%
1 2.63%
Total 38 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christians/good people
Christians/good people
This is your opinion only. Please only vote if you are atheist. Shy

Poll Question:

Is it possible for a person who is a devout/practicing Christian to still be someone who you would consider a good person?

A. Yes. And I know of devout/practicing Christians who I consider good people.

B. Yes. Even though I don't know of any devout/practicing Christians who I consider good people, I believe in the possibility that they could exist.

C. No. I have never known of any devout/practicing Christians who I would consider good people, and neither do I think it is a possibility for such people to exist.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
RE: Christians/good people
I voted A, bear in mind my standards for "a good person" are criminally low........ Angel
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
My answer is that of course there are many, many, good people who are Christians (even devout Christians), though their Christianity may not be one of the good things about them.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Same here lol
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
I voted A but there is also nothing to stop a devout practicing Christian being horrible either.
In fact Christianity aids forms of prejudice in some fundamental churches, but over here the C of E is plays such a hands off role in peoples lives that mostly you wouldn't know if anyone was a believer.
For most people I know I couldn't tell you if they were Christian or not. It is just a non-issue over here.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

I know of one devout xtian who is a good person in spite of that.

Of course, one out of millions is a pretty piss-poor rate of return.  Still, as your question was phrased, I had to vote "A."
CL, I haven't voted yet, since I'm missing your definition of devout christian. It all depends on that definition how I'm answering your question.

I know a lot of christians and know of christians, who are deserving of my respect and whom I consider good people. But they're not ultra dogmatic, following every rule to the letter. Sometimes they even go against these rules if they collide with what they consider to be right.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
A, obviously. Good and bad folk come in all stripes.

A.

I haven't met many people face to face who are actively Christian, but I've met some that I would consider good. I've met some online who certainly seem to be good people.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
A. Duh.

But as abaris says, it depends on the definition. Also, as a disclaimer, most devout Christians I know tend to be bigoted about certain things because of their faith. I still count them as good people if this bigotry is somewhat in check or counterbalanced in good measure by the remaining personality.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why is there people who bother people for no reason? Macoleco 6 1006 October 2, 2018 at 6:51 am
Last Post: Cod
  Good night good luck from dyresand 0 987 May 24, 2015 at 11:33 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Good Quotes From People You Wouldn't Dream of Quoting rexbeccarox 4 1778 November 17, 2013 at 9:34 am
Last Post: Rahul