Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help Me Understand
Help Me Understand
Can all christians that don't believe in evolution explain to me your problems with it. It is just really hard for me to rap my head around someone not believeing in evolution in the 21st century, so it would make it easier if I understood exactly why you don't. And maybe I can help you through your confusions, maybe not.

Thanks!
RE: Help Me Understand
I'm actually interested in seeing some of the replies you might get. I've always found evolution easier to believe than creationism, but that's just me.
(September 16, 2015 at 11:26 am)DeathByDespair Wrote: I'm actually interested in seeing some of the replies you might get. I've always found evolution easier to believe than creationism, but that's just me.

You're new here, so I'm going to let you in on a little secret.  You won't be interested once you actually start reading the replies.  This is a subject that has been discussed ad nauseam, and the replies will just make you do this...

[Image: u3lWwh.jpg]
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
As a Christian who believes in evolution, I'm curious to read these answers as well. Smile

Following!
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
My family usually just gives me the whole "because Jesus" argument. I'd hope that the arguments here are a bit more intelligent... Wishful thinking, I suppose...
(September 16, 2015 at 11:39 am)DeathByDespair Wrote: My family usually just gives me the whole "because Jesus" argument. I'd hope that the arguments here are a bit more intelligent... Wishful thinking, I suppose...

We did have one guy here a while back that would go in-depth into the pseudo-scientific findings that creationists love to use, and it's definitely entertaining to watch at first. Creationists' refusal to acknowledge the amount of mental gymnastics they have to do to try and support their ideas, however, turns the whole thing sour eventually, and the discussion becomes mind-numbingly frustrating.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
With a few exceptions, we seem to attract the crazier theists who come here just to shout their beliefs. They also seem to be the best at the mental gymnastics.

I think if you collect a majority of non-crazy theists in one room, you would find that most accept evolution. They are also least likely to come to AF.

Although, being a sane theist and accepting evolution comes with its own set of questions.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
Yes, what Exian said. I went to a Catholic grade school, where we were actually taught evolution lol. Most of us do believe evolution.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
Many people have trouble with anything that goes against their personal beliefs.

As a Deist I readily accept evolution as the best explanation for what happened. I don't think god is some magic man in the sky, but more akin to a scientist himself. Of course I also readily accept that this god is not omniscient, omnipresent, and omnipotent.
I think that the main reason is because when something contradicts your belief, you become afraid of it.
If evolution threatens creationism, then of course it will make Christians to counter it.
Now, to those Christians who DO ACCEPT evolution- I'm asking: How do you reconcile evolution with the whole concept that God created man in his own image, while evolution says that man is a relative of chimpanzees?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I don't understand what my mom believes Der/die AtheistIn 11 2980 January 14, 2018 at 6:59 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The Problem With This Guy Is That He Does Not Understand Evangelicals Minimalist 1 1099 April 6, 2017 at 12:19 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  help me understand this OT and NT stuff Sara0229 35 8113 January 1, 2016 at 4:36 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Help Me Understand, part duex Simon Moon 85 12888 September 28, 2015 at 11:19 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Don't Understand The Appeal Of Christianity To People Imaginos7 30 7633 September 10, 2015 at 1:13 pm
Last Post: Lek
  God doesn't understand iterative probability RobbyPants 8 2446 May 8, 2015 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  The free will argument demonstrates that christians don't understand free will. Esquilax 91 17310 May 2, 2014 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  I still don't understand why anyone would make up a person like the Biblical Christ.. dave4shmups 96 34793 September 11, 2011 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Sinners cannot understand the Bible! dry land fish 131 56765 September 27, 2009 at 2:57 am
Last Post: Ryft