Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 9:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't Understand The Appeal Of Christianity To People
Don't Understand The Appeal Of Christianity To People
When I was a kid and had to go to church I just found it boring.
I thought that the hymns sucked and din't like having to sing, didn't like church organ music or having to say prayers.
I didn't connect at all with the stories of the bible.
Wouldn't you think the whole thing of going to church would have evolved to be something fun and enjoyable in order for people to want to do it.
RE: Don't Understand The Appeal Of Christianity To People
If they had strippers and waffles I would've stayed.....but noooooooooo, let's eat tasteless wafers and bugger little kids -_-
(August 26, 2015 at 5:57 am)Imaginos7 Wrote: When I was a kid and had to go to church I just found it boring.
I thought that the hymns sucked and din't like having to sing, didn't like church organ music or having to say prayers.
I didn't connect at all with the stories of the bible.
Join the club! Smile

(August 26, 2015 at 5:57 am)Imaginos7 Wrote: Wouldn't you think the whole thing of going to church would have evolved to be something fun and enjoyable in order for people to want to do it.

There's so much wrong with this...
"evolved"? Are you a darwinian evolutionist, or something?!
These temple gatherings don't evolve! They stand as they were created by the church fathers, who claimed to have authority given by J.C., the god himself.

"Fun"?! You are there to be humble before god... humble and on your knees! You are a sheep! Sheep aren't supposed to have fun. They're meant to be fleeced!

"People want to do it"?! People MUST do it, or else... HELL!

Son, I am disappoint. Did you learn nothing while in there?
It is fun and enjoyable... if you're social, and you have friends (or aquaintences and peers you don't hate) who also go to church Smile

There's an electricity when humans do things together. A spirituality. Whatever it is... church can be a fairly reserved form of it..... OR IT CAN ROCK THE FUCK OUT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPpd-6X3tEo

Love it. I think that some people enjoy their cuppa tea, some enjoy their cuppa coffee, some enjoy their cuppa BLOOD, and some people like to drink piss.

You're not in whichever of these is the cool kids cuppa. Wink
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(August 26, 2015 at 5:57 am)Imaginos7 Wrote: Wouldn't you think the whole thing of going to church would have evolved to be something fun and enjoyable in order for people to want to do it.

The Cahtolic church tried to look more modern by introducing jazzy songs in the 70ies. It never reached my boredom though. For a guy usually listening to the Stones or the Who, the church songs weren't much of a competition. Even Suzie Quatro and Blondie could beat them single handed.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Those new church songs adding some tame syncopation to go through the motions and sound "hip" are so stale and pathetic. Bleagh. Give me dire old hymns any day over that pseudo crap.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Religion has hijacked the evolved tendency of humans to accept authority when they’re young, something that would have enhanced the survival of our ancestors (learning is a good way to avoid the dangers of experience). Because when you're born you don't know anything and have to listen to your parents to survive like "Don't play near that lake cuz crock will eat you." and those kids that didn't listen didn't pass the disobedient gene. Similar if you hear a rustle in the bushes, you’re more likely to survive (or get food) if you believe it came from another animal than from a gust of wind. These beliefs about conscious agents in nature can easily be transferred to things like lightning and earthquakes. Because our ancestors lacked naturalistic explanations for such things, conjectures about supernatural humanlike beings or spirits might follow. So afterward it is really hard for lots of people to part something they learned in childhood as "untouchable" (sacred, if you want) truth.

And so if you’re born in Saudi Arabia, in all likelihood you’ll be brought up Muslim, accepting its doctrines as true. If born in Utah, the chances of your becoming a Mormon are high (around 60 percent), and in Brazil you’re likely to become a Catholic. To a very large extent, which religion you accept and which you reject are accidents of birth. And after you’ve been religious for years, and surrounded by those who believe likewise, you become emotionally invested in your faith’s truth. This makes you more susceptible to confirmation bias and less likely to be skeptical about your beliefs.

I myself don't find places like churches beautiful, because whenever I'm in closed spaces with lots of people I start to feel dizzy of the stale air and have to get out.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(August 26, 2015 at 7:37 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: Religion has hijacked the evolved tendency of humans to accept authority when they’re young, something that would have enhanced the survival of our ancestors (learning is a good way to avoid the dangers of experience). Because when you're born you don't know anything and have to listen to your parents to survive like "Don't play near that lake cuz crock will eat you." and those kids that didn't listen didn't pass the disobedient gene. Similar if you hear a rustle in the bushes, you’re more likely to survive (or get food) if you believe it came from another animal than from a gust of wind. These beliefs about conscious agents in nature can easily be transferred to things like lightning and earthquakes. Because our ancestors lacked naturalistic explanations for such things, conjectures about supernatural humanlike beings or spirits might follow. So afterward it is really hard for lots of people to part something they learned in childhood as "untouchable" (sacred, if you want) truth.

And so if you’re born in Saudi Arabia, in all likelihood you’ll be brought up Muslim, accepting its doctrines as true. If born in Utah, the chances of your becoming a Mormon are high (around 60 percent), and in Brazil you’re likely to become a Catholic. To a very large extent, which religion you accept and which you reject are accidents of birth. And after you’ve been religious for years, and surrounded by those who believe likewise, you become emotionally invested in your faith’s truth. This makes you more susceptible to confirmation bias and less likely to be skeptical about your beliefs.

Yeah but all the rituals of going to church and the theology of Christianity are so unappealing I don't even understand why people form or sustain any emotional attachment to it. I went to a religious church school where they taught you stories of the Bible as if they were fact and I became an atheist by the time I was aged 10 and it never caused me discomfort to not believe any of it because I had no attachment to it in the first place.

The single only thing I can see in its appeal to adults to believe in life after death but you have no fear of death when you're a child so that doesn't apply when you're growing up.
It will take much more than a new soundtrack to make religion appealing.
It's just a childhood indoctrination thing. At worst your parents will drag you to church, and if you don't toe the line you're punished.

In my case it was more of a chance to spend extra time with grannie, while she told me stories about how much Jesus loves me. I also believed Santa and the Easter Bunny were real at the time, so stories about talking donkeys and getting a bunch of animals on a boat and someone spending three days inside a whale weren't so far fetched.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The People of Light vs The People of Darkness Leonardo17 2 564 October 27, 2023 at 7:55 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why don't we have people named Jesus? Alexmahone 28 5429 April 5, 2018 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  So Bible rules don't apply to rich white people Fake Messiah 42 11162 March 19, 2018 at 1:07 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  I don't understand what my mom believes Der/die AtheistIn 11 3018 January 14, 2018 at 6:59 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The Problem With This Guy Is That He Does Not Understand Evangelicals Minimalist 1 1107 April 6, 2017 at 12:19 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Black people and christianity rado84 40 6994 February 1, 2017 at 10:58 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  I don't believe in Christianity primarily because of the brain SerenelyBlue 111 12718 September 20, 2016 at 12:30 am
Last Post: Cecelia
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 6794 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  help me understand this OT and NT stuff Sara0229 35 8226 January 1, 2016 at 4:36 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Help Me Understand Shuffle 124 24516 November 9, 2015 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: jenny1972