Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help Me Understand, part duex
Help Me Understand, part duex
Prompted by the thread started by Shuffle (Help Me Understand), this is for the Christians here that do accept evolution. Which is good, since it's been observed many times, in the lab and the field.

All the evidence available, in all the related fields (genetic, fossil, morphology, etc) all prove that modern homo sapiens did not come from one original man and woman. 

There is absolutely no evidence for an 'Adam and Eve'.

Therefore:

No eating of the fruit of the tree of good and evil. 
No 'original sin', no 'fall'.
No fall, no hereditary stain on humanity.
No reason for humanity to be forgiven.
No need for Yahweh to sacrifice his son (himself) in order to forgive humanity.

Please reconcile for me...

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
RE: Help Me Understand, part duex
Uh...
God acts in mysterious ways?
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
(September 18, 2015 at 8:00 pm)Simon Moon Wrote: Prompted by the thread started by Shuffle (Help Me Understand), this is for the Christians here that do accept evolution. Which is good, since it's been observed many times, in the lab and the field.

All the evidence available, in all the related fields (genetic, fossil, morphology, etc) all prove that modern homo sapiens did not come from one original man and woman. 

Therefore:

You need neither reconciliation nor logic.  Faith will set you free.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
(September 18, 2015 at 8:00 pm)Simon Moon Wrote: Prompted by the thread started by Shuffle (Help Me Understand), this is for the Christians here that do accept evolution. Which is good, since it's been observed many times, in the lab and the field.

Therefore:

The biblical stories are about the Israelites/Hebrews/Jews and not about the greater humanity herd.  Gentiles are not regarded as men in the Bible.  Only Jews are regarded as men in the Bible.  Adam & Eve are depicted as the ancestors of Jesus, not as your ancestors.
(September 18, 2015 at 8:37 pm)Spooky Wrote:

Therefore:

You need neither reconciliation nor logic.  Faith will set you free.

Or enslave you.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
Hope you get a few evolution-accepting theists to answer. 
For what it's worth, I can tell you how I reconciled this when I was a Christian theist.... I simply assumed the Creation myth was a parable and not an account of actual events.  I'm a godless heathen nowadays, so I'm not sure much this helps as far as you gaining any insight on the matter.
I'm not a theist any longer either, but when I did believe I didn't believe in Original Sin. I thought Jesus died for our other sins. Like to be forgiven of bad thoughts, and other minor things.

Asked my husband about this, and he said that he thought Adam and Eve were just the first two humans that were fully evolved.
(September 18, 2015 at 10:13 pm)Cecelia Wrote: I'm not a theist any longer either, but when I did believe I didn't believe in Original Sin.  I thought Jesus died for our other sins.  Like to be forgiven of bad thoughts, and other minor things.

Asked my husband about this, and he said that he thought Adam and Eve were just the first two humans that were fully evolved.

Yeesh. Looking back on it all....just yeesh.
I'm pretty sure we should get at least a Bronze for Mental Gymnastics. Rolleyes
Yeah, it's strange how otherwise intelligent people can do mental gymnastics to justify their beliefs. And a little scary.

I think what helped me was that my mom was never a firm believer. My father was, and thoughts were definitely a sin in his book (though they're less so now). She never had time for church, and she broke one of the commandments every week -- Not working on the Sabbath. (She's a Doctor).

I think a lot of it comes from not actually reading the bible. I mean you know all that stuff is in there, but until you really read it you don't get a good idea of just how out there some of it really is.
Allegory. Next question?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 89465 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  I don't understand what my mom believes Der/die AtheistIn 11 3018 January 14, 2018 at 6:59 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Remember this part in the bible? Foxaèr 17 2942 June 20, 2017 at 11:38 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Problem With This Guy Is That He Does Not Understand Evangelicals Minimalist 1 1108 April 6, 2017 at 12:19 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Rewriting the bible part 5 - duderonomy (Deuteronomy) dyresand 6 1704 March 23, 2016 at 3:38 am
Last Post: Alex K
  rewriting the bible part 2 - exodus dyresand 68 14460 March 21, 2016 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Rewriting the bible part 4 - Numbers dyresand 2 1029 March 15, 2016 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  rewriting the bible part 3 - Leviticus dyresand 11 3155 March 14, 2016 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Rewriting the bible part 1 - Genesis dyresand 4 1955 March 12, 2016 at 3:14 am
Last Post: robvalue
  help me understand this OT and NT stuff Sara0229 35 8227 January 1, 2016 at 4:36 am
Last Post: robvalue