Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
help me understand this OT and NT stuff
help me understand this OT and NT stuff
I find reading about religions fascinating, not sure why cause I think they do more harm than good, but anyway I was reading passages from the OT that say you can't do all this stuff and talked about killing babies, stoning children, killing nonbelievers.....

So I was talking to a Lutheran about all of this and as the conversation went on I just became more and more confused. So if the NT trumps the OT then why is the OT in the bible? I mean why have all that in there if you don't have to abide by it? You just ignore it because you know killing babies is wrong? But God told you to do it and it's the word of God right? He told me he thought that the 10 commandments are very important but they're in the OT. So I guess one of the commandments says not to kill but then god tells you all these reasons that you should kill people in the same OT.

I'm so confused I just had to stop the conversation because it was making my brain hurt. I like to understand others points of views but I can make any sense out of all this.

Maybe someone can explain this to me better. What is the difference between the OT and NT as far as what you should follow and what you shouldn't?  

-Sara0229
FSM Grin
-Sara0229

Question everything!
RE: help me understand this OT and NT stuff
Basically, it is all about cherry picking.

Theists evolve just as anything does, and they have evolved past the old testament to the point where they ignore that which they choose to ignore and still reference homosexuality being an abomination.

Honestly, a true theist follows both the old testament and the new testament, but I think I may just confuse you even further by stating that according to how each denomination treats other denominations that there may as well not be such a thing as a true theist.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Yes, cherry picking.

Just real handy to have a tome with convenient prohibitions against pretty much anything. Then, depending on ones whims, whatever group is out of favor at the moment can be easily subjugated with the force of the deity, just look for a verse and get oppressing. If you're really good at this churchy stuff, you don't even need a specific verse, after all, you're saved, obviously, anyone who disagrees with you is out of favor with God.

I think you might be a closet Moabite, you'd better kowtow to my will, cuz God says so.

I've also noticed a general trend; anything in the OT that you don't like is therefore superseded in the NT, even if you can't find the verse, and anything in the OT that isn't a problem for you, particularly if it seems to apply to people you don't like, why what a coincidence, God says you'd better be extra vigilant in cracking the whip on that one.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

The OT was written for a particular people and time, though is still credible as the interpreted word of GOD, prophetic, and pertinent to understanding the word of GOD as a whole. It states in particular cases where it was called for that entire cultures be wiped out.

From what I have learned thus far; any part of the bible that attests to literal physical killing of others and division of those faithful to God is added by man for his selfish intent, or wholly for times past. If one reads the three core scriptures of Christianity, Judaism, and Islam while taking special care to note the parts that are divisive, negative, and contradictory and promote physical murder of others then the general consensus of the three is easily deciphered.

Peace

Faith in selfless Unity for Good.
Writungs of the Bahia are helpful as well, but more like advanced reading and may not be of too much use to an atheist. One can hope though.

Peace

(December 28, 2015 at 12:10 am)Kitan Wrote: Basically, it is all about cherry picking.

Theists evolve just as anything does, and they have evolved past the old testament to the point where they ignore that which they choose to ignore and still reference homosexuality being an abomination.

Honestly, a true theist follows both the old testament and the new testament, but I think I may just confuse you even further by stating that according to how each denomination treats other denominations that there may as well not be such a thing as a true theist.

So they all cherry pick then? And when the say homosexuality is a sin I can ask them how was that bacon you ate or what sort of fabric are you wearing and it would be totally legit?
-Sara0229

Question everything!
(December 28, 2015 at 12:21 am)Sara0229 Wrote: And when the say homosexuality is a sin I can ask them how was that bacon you ate or what sort of fabric are you wearing and it would be totally legit?

Yes, but in most cases they will offer some lame apologetic that exempts them and you will merely be made to feel you have no clue about what you are talking because you do not believe in god.

Theists have created a system whereby they can safely remain in their bubbles of ignorance.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(December 28, 2015 at 12:21 am)Sara0229 Wrote:
(December 28, 2015 at 12:10 am)Kitan Wrote: Basically, it is all about cherry picking.

So they all cherry pick then? And when the say homosexuality is a sin I can ask them how was that bacon you ate or what sort of fabric are you wearing and it would be totally legit?

No, that's not how it works.  When dealing with the religious folks, you're wrong no matter what you think the bible says, you're probably misinterpreting metaphors and parables, silly.  Only the churchy folks know what it really means and they get to decide.

And even if they might goof up once in a million years, they are still saved, and you are still so not saved.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(December 28, 2015 at 12:21 am)popsthebuilder Wrote: Writungs of the Bahia are helpful as well, but more like advanced reading and may not be of too much use to an atheist. One can hope though.

Peace

Bahia?  Are you a follower of Baha'i?  Or is that Candomble?
I have been curious about both, but never have had the chance to talk to any practitioners.  Baha'i has many precepts that I agree with, - - not that I would join up, since I don't believe god exists - - but it's still fascinating.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
Not familiar st h candomble. Read the writing of the Bahia that I have been able to locate. My Faith is very similar to theirs from what I have read. I believe that all will unify for the sake of existence by what is placed on their heart through the selfless conscience or Crist consciousness, or Krishna consciousness, or godhead/ godhelm by the will of God for the sake of existence.

Peace.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  C'mon, Look At All This Stuff That's Real YahwehIsTheWay 66 12576 December 28, 2018 at 9:38 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Christians: Can you see why atheists don't buy this stuff? vulcanlogician 49 3912 August 19, 2018 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  I don't understand what my mom believes Der/die AtheistIn 11 3003 January 14, 2018 at 6:59 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The Problem With This Guy Is That He Does Not Understand Evangelicals Minimalist 1 1106 April 6, 2017 at 12:19 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Washington Post Tries To Help Out Creatards and Ken Ham goes ballistic. Minimalist 12 3022 January 1, 2017 at 11:17 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Help Me Understand Shuffle 124 24460 November 9, 2015 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: jenny1972
  Help Me Understand, part duex Simon Moon 85 13016 September 28, 2015 at 11:19 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Don't Understand The Appeal Of Christianity To People Imaginos7 30 7704 September 10, 2015 at 1:13 pm
Last Post: Lek
  Christianity even with Jesus is ignorant about some stuff of the old Coreni 11 3806 June 24, 2015 at 11:31 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  God doesn't understand iterative probability RobbyPants 8 2452 May 8, 2015 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: KevinM1