Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi, I'm a Christian. Help Me Disprove My Religion!
Hi, I'm a Christian. Help Me Disprove My Religion!
Salutations theists, atheists, and agnostics!

Now, before we get started, I'd like to say that I recognize that you are under no obligation whatsoever to help me out. If you don't have the time or inclination to do so, feel free to pass this thread by, and let it fade away into obscurity. However, if you would be willing to help me, I would very much appreciate it.

Right, so first off, as the title states, I'm a Christian. Second of all, I'm really hoping that my religion is a lie, and that you can prove it to me.

Why I'm Making This Thread

Perhaps I should give you my reasons for this request, just so you have a better idea of where I'm coming from. Y'see, I've been thinking a lot about God and Hell, and how incredibly pessimistic my religion happens to be. The world is filled with thousands of religions and beliefs (roughly 4,200, if google is correct), one of which is probably true. Most of these have some idea of what the afterlife is. I've been thinking lately about how my religion being true is probably the second or third worst case scenario in this regard.

If my religion is true, then roughly 68% of the world's population goes to Hell (probably more). The only possibilities that seem worse than this would be that a dead religion were true, in which case we all go to its version of Hell, or if a smaller religion with an even worse version of Hell were true. Right now, the only thing that's keeping me from giving into despair about how much reality sucks is that there exists the possibility that my religion is false.

I grew up in a Christian family, always a little unsure about whether or not I believed it. Even now, the best evidence I have that I believe it is how afraid I am of God. However, I don't have evidence to back my belief up, or to disprove it. For those of you reading that are Christians, I'm not accusing Christians of not having evidence to back up their beliefs (some of the smartest people I know are Christians who have tested their faith), I'm simply saying that I, personally, do not. I don't think I can find it within me to leave my religion behind without proof that it's false, even if I can't back my faith up. I also figure that I can't really continue life without figuring out what I believe and having good reasons for it, so I need to prove/disprove my religion as soon as possible. I decided that attempting to disprove my religion might be the best/most efficient way to start, hence my coming to this forum to seek your help (and by you, I mean non-Christians, theist and atheist alike).

Sorry about the personal details above. Again, I just want you to know where I'm honestly coming from. Also again, you don't have to help me here if you don't want to. Feel free to ignore this thread.

What I'm Asking For

This site being what it is, I imagine a lot of you have debated Christians in the past. Some of you might even be former Christians. Throughout all your investigations, arguments, and general dealings with Christianity, what are the best arguments against its truth and validity that you've encountered? What contradictions in its teachings have you found?

Please note that I'm not looking for arguments against God, but rather, arguments against Christianity specifically. Also, I'm looking for arguments towards Christianity's beliefs, not its people. I figure that there are hypocrites within every religion and/or belief system, and pointing them out doesn't say the religion is wrong, it just says some of the people saying that they follow it aren't honest.

Also, (I know I'm asking a lot of y'all, so remember you can ignore this thread) if you present evidence such as articles or historical documents, it would be fantastic if you could give me a link to them, or give me information that would allow me to find them (title, author, etc.).

It is my intention to use the information you give me that seems most convincing (that I understand and can't argue against), and present it to other Christians I know irl. If I find enough evidence that they can't successfully argue against, then, well, it's my hope that my beliefs regarding Christianity will change (and I'll be free from fear of God and Hell).
RE: Hi, I'm a Christian. Help Me Disprove My Religion!
Let's start with something simple. Have you actually read the Bible?
Welcome!

I'm not the best scholar on this, just know what I believe. There are others that will come along and give their opinions/positions.

Proof/disproof of a god is a tough nut. I'm sure you'll find that out.

Surf around through past threads. I'm sure that this has been debated ad nauseam.

Good Luck.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Oh boy...
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
[Image: walks-out-o.gif]
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
That's a big question, you know.  Why not start with a simpler one?  Such as . . . oh, do you believe the Jesus of Nazareth died to redeem humankind and stop people from going to hell?  

Have you read Christopher Hitchens' "God Is Not Great"?  Or Richard Dawkins "The God Delusion"? You'll get opinions on both authors here, positive and negative, but it's where a lot of folks start.  Have you seen Bill Maher's "Religulous"?  Have you searched YouTube for "the Atheist Experience"?

You ask a very broad question.  Most people who come asking that question in this forum are just waiting for someone to answer, so they can try very hard to prove the answer wrong.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
(September 22, 2015 at 8:00 pm)WishfulThinking Wrote: Salutations theists, atheists, and agnostics!

Now, before we get started, I'd like to say that I recognize that you are under no obligation whatsoever to help me out. If you don't have the time or inclination to do so, feel free to pass this thread by, and let it fade away into obscurity. However, if you would be willing to help me, I would very much appreciate it.

Right, so first off, as the title states, I'm a Christian. Second of all, I'm really hoping that my religion is a lie, and that you can prove it to me.

Why I'm Making This Thread

Perhaps I should give you my reasons for this request, just so you have a better idea of where I'm coming from. Y'see, I've been thinking a lot about God and Hell, and how incredibly pessimistic my religion happens to be. The world is filled with thousands of religions and beliefs (roughly 4,200, if google is correct), one of which is probably true. Most of these have some idea of what the afterlife is. I've been thinking lately about how my religion being true is probably the second or third worst case scenario in this regard.

If my religion is true, then roughly 68% of the world's population goes to Hell (probably more). The only possibilities that seem worse than this would be that a dead religion were true, in which case we all go to its version of Hell, or if a smaller religion with an even worse version of Hell were true. Right now, the only thing that's keeping me from giving into despair about how much reality sucks is that there exists the possibility that my religion is false.

I grew up in a Christian family, always a little unsure about whether or not I believed it. Even now, the best evidence I have that I believe it is how afraid I am of God. However, I don't have evidence to back my belief up, or to disprove it. For those of you reading that are Christians, I'm not accusing Christians of not having evidence to back up their beliefs (some of the smartest people I know are Christians who have tested their faith), I'm simply saying that I, personally, do not. I don't think I can find it within me to leave my religion behind without proof that it's false, even if I can't back my faith up. I also figure that I can't really continue life without figuring out what I believe and having good reasons for it, so I need to prove/disprove my religion as soon as possible. I decided that attempting to disprove my religion might be the best/most efficient way to start, hence my coming to this forum to seek your help (and by you, I mean non-Christians, theist and atheist alike).

Sorry about the personal details above. Again, I just want you to know where I'm honestly coming from. Also again, you don't have to help me here if you don't want to. Feel free to ignore this thread.

What I'm Asking For

This site being what it is, I imagine a lot of you have debated Christians in the past. Some of you might even be former Christians. Throughout all your investigations, arguments, and general dealings with Christianity, what are the best arguments against its truth and validity that you've encountered? What contradictions in its teachings have you found?

Please note that I'm not looking for arguments against God, but rather, arguments against Christianity specifically. Also, I'm looking for arguments towards Christianity's beliefs, not its people. I figure that there are hypocrites within every religion and/or belief system, and pointing them out doesn't say the religion is wrong, it just says some of the people saying that they follow it aren't honest.

Also, (I know I'm asking a lot of y'all, so remember you can ignore this thread) if you present evidence such as articles or historical documents, it would be fantastic if you could give me a link to them, or give me information that would allow me to find them (title, author, etc.).

It is my intention to use the information you give me that seems most convincing (that I understand and can't argue against), and present it to other Christians I know irl. If I find enough evidence that they can't successfully argue against, then, well, it's my hope that my beliefs regarding Christianity will change (and I'll be free from fear of God and Hell).

Let me get this straight...

You're asking a bunch of people who you think might be former Christians with experience at debating Christians to give you the arguments that you need to go out and ambush your Christian friends who may have NO experience arguing with atheists.

Then, when - surprise, surprise - they fail to respond to your pre-meditated attack adequately (as measured against your own subjective standards), you'll feel good about giving up on Christianity altogether?

Seriously?

Deadpan

Why bother? It seems to me that you're already there.
[Image: f81bf2e017213e18285719dcfc0bd312f397751d...537788.jpg]
Can't disprove your religion.

Christians exist therefore Christianity exists.

The claims of the religion, however, can be disproved.

The existence of a deity, however, cannot.  And that includes ANY deity.
Dying to live, living to die.
You would think the lack of evidence would be enough?
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 87848 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  You Can't Disprove a Miracle Rhondazvous 155 16032 March 18, 2016 at 11:05 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Yet more christian logic: christian sues for not being given a job she refuses to do. Esquilax 21 7344 July 20, 2014 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  The dates given by AOS for past events may actually disprove evolution entirely SavedByGraceThruFaith 216 59791 October 14, 2013 at 6:05 am
Last Post: Zen Badger
  Mutations disprove the theory of upward evolution SavedByGraceThruFaith 512 219348 October 12, 2013 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: Kayenneh
Question What one thing would disprove Christianity to you? Tea Earl Grey Hot 294 116112 February 10, 2013 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: catfish
  Relationships - Christian and non-Christian way Ciel_Rouge 6 6302 August 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: frankiej
  Atheists: Can you disprove the resurrection or Jesus' existence? nicholas5000 142 48364 December 19, 2011 at 9:30 am
Last Post: ThomM
  Does science prove or disprove the bible Justtristo 8 9362 October 19, 2011 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Outsmarted by a Christian, need help to contradict poc243 43 18077 March 25, 2009 at 11:57 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet