Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 8:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most ridiculous claim made by religious people
Most ridiculous claim made by religious people
In my opinion, the most ridiculous claim that religious people(esp. Christians) make is when they say;

Why do you hate the idea of God? /
Why can't you accept the evidence for God?

It's literally the dumbest argument, but it's used so constantly.
This idea that anyone in their right mind would willingly chose to die rather than live forever is beyond me. Do they honestly believe we would not want to live forever?

It's mind boggling to me.
RE: Most ridiculous claim made by religious people
The stupidest theist argument is no an argument but rather a statement.

Just believe.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(September 26, 2015 at 12:37 am)Kitan Wrote: The stupidest theist argument is no an argument but rather a statement.

Just believe.
That's like a last resource argument for any theist actually trying to prove their point.
(September 26, 2015 at 12:39 am)heatiosrs Wrote:
(September 26, 2015 at 12:37 am)Kitan Wrote: The stupidest theist argument is no an argument but rather a statement.

Just believe.
That's like a last resource argument for any theist actually trying to prove their point.

I have a family member for whom this basically their only argument. I didn't press the issue since I'm still not openly atheist outside of AF, but I can imagine what the response would be. "Because I said so."
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
There's so many things theists say that drive me mad, such as:

"Why are you angry at god?"
I'm not. Are you angry at Zeus for all the illegitimate kids?

"You should fear the wrath of hell! God will punish you, doesn't that scare you?"
I fear a deity as much as I fear Voldemort... A fictional character, while definitely a prick in text, is still fictional. The wrath of god would be, at worst, a paper cut I get while thumbing through a Bible.

"The Bible proves that god exists!"
Here's some comic books... Proof that Batman and Spider-Man exist!

"You argue against religion because deep down you believe."
No. I argue against religion because I'm sick of the harm it brings to the world, and always has brought to the world. I argue against religion because of how it's held humanity back culturally, socially, politically, and scientifically.

"You can't prove god doesn't exist, so he therefore must exist!"
This is the most deflective one, and I loathe it. In every other arena, the one making the claim is the one who must carry the burden of proof. This is something theists go to when they know they don't have an answer (I know first-hand, because that's EXACTLY what I would do when I used to be a theist). I even asked a theist just the other day to prove that there isn't a planet made of gum that's inhabited by talking Lima beans, and they flat out told me I was the one who had to prove it existed since I made the claim; I told them the same is true of a claim of the existence of a deity, and they replied with "No, because it's completely different! You have to prove there is no god!"

"The fact that people say 'Oh my god' is proof that he exists. You're calling out to him."
No... It's just an expression. We could just as easily say Conflaberysnickerdoodle; it's just a string of sounds we put together to express something. We invented words and assigned the meaning behind them.

"Science is just a theory. None of it is real." Or "Satan created science to distract us from god/Jesus."
This is a demonstration of no basic understanding of science; and, if a deity did exist, why would he want us to be stupid?

"You're going to hell unless you turn to god. God loves you!"
If he loves me, why is it that he needs my praise or he'll punish me forever? That's not loving, that's pettiness. It's throwing a temper tantrum for not getting your way. If god existed and loved unconditionally, there wouldn't be a hell. If he did exist, he definitely does not deserve praise.

"Oh, you're an atheist? So you struggle with the concept of god?"
Not at all. I struggle with the concept of god as much as Neil deGrasse Tyson struggles with the concept of Santa Claus. We get it, we understand it, we know it's fiction.

"You should read the Bible. Then you'll believe."
Actually, I have read the Bible. More than once. Even went to Bible studies at several different churches over many years. That's why I'm an atheist, because I read the Bible. (I think the worst one, though, was when I was having a conversation with a theist and they referenced John 3:16, an easy go-to piece of scripture. A few minutes later, I referenced Corinthians, and they got angry because they thought I was mocking them—they had no idea that Corinthians is in the Bible; there's even two Corinthians books in the Bible!)
I find it odd that anyone would think my opinion about afterlives has any effect on whether there is one, or what it would be like.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
You'll be tortured for eternity by my loving god if you don't believe in my own special brand of bullshit.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
I often get: "you poor creature, you have the capacity to understand. I'll pray for you".
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(September 26, 2015 at 12:35 am)heatiosrs Wrote: This idea that anyone in their right mind would willingly chose to die rather than live forever is beyond me. Do they honestly believe we would not want to live forever?

Well, I don't want to live forever. It's not why I'm an atheist, but fuck that.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
(September 26, 2015 at 1:32 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: I often get: "you poor creature, you have the capacity to understand. I'll pray for you".

Reply:  You do that, fuckhead.  And I'll think for you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things religious people say Foxaèr 1053 68956 March 23, 2024 at 11:17 am
Last Post: no one
  A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will ShinyCrystals 265 10904 December 6, 2023 at 12:21 am
Last Post: Harry Haller
  Why people remain in cultlike religious communities Won2blv 6 646 April 1, 2022 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Made in God’s image. Yuk. Not me thanks. Greatest I am 20 2956 July 25, 2020 at 2:38 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  Made for TV/ about Cleveland abductions. Brian37 0 339 November 13, 2018 at 11:08 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Religious people in the medical field Foxaèr 35 6844 November 11, 2018 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Are religious people really afraid of death? Alexmahone 36 4856 July 3, 2018 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Moses parting the sea evidence or just made up Smain 12 2872 June 28, 2018 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why do some believers claim that all religions are just as good? Der/die AtheistIn 22 3692 June 25, 2018 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Religious texts used to manipulate people Foxaèr 13 3697 June 10, 2018 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Minimalist