Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 7:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Priest at the hospital
Priest at the hospital
So I was very sick this month and I had surgery last monday. On the first night a priest came into the room to try to bless me and I stopped him and said: "No thanks, good night". I was awake from pain all night so I had time to think about this mechanisms religion institutions use to spread themselves by using the pain and suffering of people.

Several questions came to mind:

Why do we ought respect to people who do such an immoral thing?
How can they look in the eye to someone and tell him: "God is with you" even when God let you get sick in the first place?
Isn't it spiteful that these people wonder around hospitals, stealing the credit from people who actually contribute to well being of humanity when their institution is responsable for the greatest retardation of science?

I posted this on Facebook and got such a negative response from friends and family... I mean, I am the only one that sees the sadism in those acts? Or am I wrong?
Do I lose my time trying to expose the fraud?
RE: Priest at the hospital
Religion is a crutch, it's logical that they offer it when you are at your most vulnerable.
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
It's fairly normal that priests come to the hospitals and go to people, who want their services. It's not normal that they pull their woodoo unsolicited.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Of course, if your family is mostly religious, then they're going to think it's an act of love.

To us, it can be taken as an insult or it can be simply laughable. Just depends on who you are, and your mood.

I don't understand prayer, because god allegedly has a divine plan, so the priests (and every other religious person) are just wasting their time.
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' -Isaac Asimov-
Sorry that you've been unwell, and I wish you a complete and rapid recovery.

The priest/chaplain you spoke with left, once you made your wishes known. I think that's the best you can hope for in situations like this. Keep in mind that individual clergy members are not Religion or the Church. They're ordinary people, who may be wrong/misguided....but they are often just trying to help. As long as they respect your wishes when you tell them you're not interested, I wouldn't worry much about it.
Quote:They're ordinary people, who may be wrong/misguided....but they are often just trying to help.

No.  They are pretending they can help.  A witch doctor would do as much good and probably put on a better show.
(September 26, 2015 at 5:25 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:They're ordinary people, who may be wrong/misguided....but they are often just trying to help.

No.  They are pretending they can help.  A witch doctor would do as much good and probably put on a better show.

Witch Doctor? I think the PC term is shaman or homeopath.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(September 26, 2015 at 5:25 pm)Minimalist Wrote:

Man...can't take this guy anywhere!
(September 26, 2015 at 5:32 pm)mh.brewer Wrote:
(September 26, 2015 at 5:25 pm)Minimalist Wrote: No.  They are pretending they can help.  A witch doctor would do as much good and probably put on a better show.

Witch Doctor? I think the PC term is shaman or homeopath.

Wait... for the witch doctor? Or the priest?
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

I would feel the same way about a priest in my hospital room that I felt when they tried to get me to sign an advanced directive.

That bad, huh?

ps. Hope you're feeling better.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Damned STUPID Priest yesterday . . . drfuzzy 102 7321 December 6, 2018 at 8:23 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Chile abuse priest Fernando Karadima removed by Vatican zebo-the-fat 2 923 September 28, 2018 at 5:00 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Pennsylvannia Pedo Priest HORROR vorlon13 124 6405 August 19, 2018 at 10:07 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Priest publicly wishes for Pope's quick death... c172 18 4863 March 22, 2018 at 1:10 am
Last Post: c172
  Priest Shortage ?? vorlon13 24 6288 November 24, 2017 at 3:45 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Vatican Children's Hospital showcasing something besides excellence in child care vorlon13 14 3464 July 19, 2017 at 1:49 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Yet another child molesting priest zebo-the-fat 18 2195 April 13, 2017 at 6:36 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  CATHOLICS, heads up if you were abused by your priest!...... 21stCenturyIconoclast 110 15570 January 12, 2017 at 4:52 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  Another child molesting priest zebo-the-fat 4 1146 August 10, 2016 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Worst pastor, preechur, evangelist, priest, reverend ??? vorlon13 26 7301 November 16, 2015 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy