Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Priest Shortage ??
Priest Shortage ??
It is garnering some attention in the media.

-however-

I'm having a bit of difficulty with this issue supposedly befalling the Catholic Church. It's my understanding God calls upon those He wants to serve. If God isn't issuing 'enough' calls, isn't there a big problem with complaining about not having enough priests ??

It would seem the church ALWAYS has the right number of priests if that really is how it works. So whining about a perceived shortage of priests comes across as both failing to understand His Holy plan and even [gasp!] directly criticizing God for essentially malfeasance of office.

I've been here long enough to figure I once again am missing something, but I have to admit, this occasion I am at a loss as to what it might be.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

RE: Priest Shortage ??
Shortage of choir boys?
Dying to live, living to die.
You're not missing anything Vorls. You're just being kind by indulging the theists with their fantasy cosplay.
Like any business, times change, business models become obsolete.

For how long can you sell something that isn't there, acts like it isn't there, before the villagers start scratching their heads and start wondering maybe, just maybe there's really nothing there?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
'Priest shortage' is an oxymoron.  Any is too many.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 23, 2017 at 5:17 am)vorlon13 Wrote: It is garnering some attention in the media.

-however-

I'm having a bit of difficulty with this issue supposedly befalling the Catholic Church. It's my understanding God calls upon those He wants to serve.  If God isn't issuing 'enough' calls, isn't there a big problem with complaining about not having enough priests ??

It would seem the church ALWAYS has the right number of priests if that really is how it works. So whining about a perceived shortage of priests comes across as both failing to understand His Holy plan and even [gasp!] directly criticizing God for essentially malfeasance of office.

I've been here long enough to figure I once again am missing something, but I have to admit, this occasion I am at a loss as to what it might be.

The shortage is massive in Ireland, from c18,000 in 1981 (when I was born) to barely cracking a thousand today (many of whom are Polish or African).
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
"Shortage" Wololo ?

God wants a thousand priests in Ireland, God HAS a 1000 priests in Ireland.

It's heretical to criticize His Plan. Seriously.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

[Image: image]
I heard a guest priest maunder about this back in the '90s, when I was a church goer. It appears not to have changed much, in terms of fewer priests. The celibacy is something that wasn't originally required. Hell, there were popes with big families!
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
[Image: rack.jpg]
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
In a tough theconomy, god appears to be down sizing. 

Is "big familied popes" a euphemism?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Damned STUPID Priest yesterday . . . drfuzzy 102 7208 December 6, 2018 at 8:23 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Chile abuse priest Fernando Karadima removed by Vatican zebo-the-fat 2 897 September 28, 2018 at 5:00 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Pennsylvannia Pedo Priest HORROR vorlon13 124 6036 August 19, 2018 at 10:07 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Priest publicly wishes for Pope's quick death... c172 18 4801 March 22, 2018 at 1:10 am
Last Post: c172
  Yet another child molesting priest zebo-the-fat 18 2179 April 13, 2017 at 6:36 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  CATHOLICS, heads up if you were abused by your priest!...... 21stCenturyIconoclast 110 14976 January 12, 2017 at 4:52 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  Another child molesting priest zebo-the-fat 4 1130 August 10, 2016 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Worst pastor, preechur, evangelist, priest, reverend ??? vorlon13 26 7271 November 16, 2015 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Vatican fires high ranking priest for coming out abaris 37 7814 October 3, 2015 at 10:33 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Priest at the hospital marianomanto 33 8316 September 29, 2015 at 10:26 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0