Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 10:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ask an Architect
Ask an Architect
I am ready and willing to answer any building or construction related questions.
RE: Ask an Architect
My downstairs neighbor has complained that he wakes up with me showering.
What can I do to prevent him from waking up, considering that I'll still shower at the time when he's asleep?
strangle him?
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(September 29, 2015 at 9:46 am)Aoi Magi Wrote: strangle him?

Well that will certain prevent him waking up.
I have been enamored with skyscrapers since I was a boy, but have always been bothered by spires counting towards height when ranking; i.e., One WTC being considered taller than the Willis Tower is bullshit in my opinion. In fact if just roof height is considered, 432 Park Avenue is taller than One WTC. Add to this that antennas aren't counted and it all gets confused. To me it's a bit like having your height taken while wearing heals.

Is there any rhyme or reason to this or is it simply subjective maneuvering in order to get your building higher on the list?
Where do babies come from?
(September 29, 2015 at 9:46 am)Aoi Magi Wrote: strangle him?

Ah... I like how you're thinking...
But I was looking more into some method that avoids criminality.
Are bridge questions OK ??

In the same vein (but the other way) of post #5, why isn't the south tower of the Golden Gate Bridge considered to be 946 (m/l) feet tall instead of 746 ??

(the water is 200+ feet deep where they built the south tower, height is height, no?)
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

What are your favorite architectural innovations and why?
(September 29, 2015 at 9:59 am)Cato Wrote: I have been enamored with skyscrapers since I was a boy, but have always been bothered by spires counting towards height when ranking; i.e., One WTC being considered taller than the Willis Tower is bullshit in my opinion. In fact if just roof height is considered, 432 Park Avenue is taller than One WTC. Add to this that antennas aren't counted and it all gets confused. To me it's a bit like having your height taken while wearing heals.

Is there any rhyme or reason to this or is it simply subjective maneuvering in order to get your building higher on the list?

No doubt the building owners want the status, but even antennas must be structurally supported. IMO it makes sense to consider the absolute high point. Otherwise, there are many arbitrary points with which to justify the claim, not just roof, but tops of parapets, mechanical penthouses, etc.