Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 3:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stress Management Advice
Stress Management Advice
A psychologist walked around a room while teaching stress management to an audience. As she raised a glass of water, everyone expected they'd be asked the "half empty or half full" question. Instead, with a smile on her face, she inquired: "How heavy is this glass of water?"

Answers called out ranged from 8 oz. to 20 oz.

She replied, "The absolute weight doesn't matter. It depends on how long I hold it. If I hold it for a minute, it's not a problem. If I hold it for an hour, I'll have an ache in my arm. If I hold it for a day, my arm will feel numb and paralyzed. In each case, the weight of the glass doesn't change, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes."

She continued, "The stresses and worries in life are like that glass of water. Think about them for a while and nothing happens. Think about them a bit longer and they begin to hurt. And if you think about them all day long, you will feel paralyzed – incapable of doing anything."

Remember to put the glass down.

(Courtesy of Jimmy Harmon)

Source:  https://www.facebook.com/mindfulschools/...36/?type=3
RE: Stress Management Advice
or, if it is an annoying person instead of a glass of water, do like I do; stab them in the throat with a rusty screwdriver
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I accidentally sat on a screwdriver once. It was a highly unpleasant experience. So painful that I couldn't breathe let alone speak for several minutes.

It was a great big fucking red one too. I'm not into that kinda thing at all.
(October 3, 2015 at 1:29 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: or, if it is an annoying person instead of a glass of water, do like I do; stab them in the throat with a rusty screwdriver

. . . and make them watch you drink their glass of water as they draw their last agonizing, gurgling breath.
Nah don't make them watch you drink their water, that would be taking it too far.
(October 3, 2015 at 1:43 pm)EvidenceVersusFaith Wrote: Nah don't make them watch you drink their water, that would be taking it too far.

That depends on whose stress relief we're talking about.
(October 3, 2015 at 1:29 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: or, if it is an annoying person instead of a glass of water, do like I do; stab them in the throat with a rusty screwdriver

Do you prefer a philips or slot screwdriver?  Or a more exotic type?  And what size do you recommend?  And must it be rusty?  Mine tend to be stainless steel and have no rust on them.  Do I need to get another screwdriver for this?  After all, I want to do it right.  I want my stress to be properly relieved.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
I don't care what kind, I don't like sitting on any of them, but the big kind is definitely particularly horrific in my experience.
Quote:Remember to put the glass down.

Get a glass of wine instead.
I have anger management problems. I have trouble letting it go. I've heard another saying that anger is like a hot coal you hold with the intent to throw it at someone. Only you get burned.

My anger mostly stems from people taking advantage of my kindness, especially when they wind up stealing a lot from me. Like if I had just not given a shit about them, this wouldn't happen, but I wanted to trust and help them, and they stabbed me in the back. This kind of thing pisses me off more than anything, because it demotivates people from helping each other.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice about patience Macoleco 4 549 March 26, 2020 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
Music The best advice someone gave you. onlinebiker 65 6225 April 14, 2019 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  The WORST Advice Someone Ever Gave You BrianSoddingBoru4 11 1081 April 14, 2019 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Last Minute Gift Advice Neo-Scholastic 28 3889 December 27, 2017 at 11:08 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  2 pieces of advice for future parents ErGingerbreadMandude 68 13095 November 17, 2017 at 8:07 am
Last Post: Cod
  Dating advice seandiggy 30 4468 October 23, 2017 at 2:17 am
Last Post: J a c k
  A little advice on a family matter please NuclearEnergy 6 1138 August 27, 2017 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Medical advice Macoleco 12 3137 July 7, 2017 at 12:39 am
Last Post: Macoleco
  Some advice on how to deal with a "interesting" brother in law NuclearEnergy 21 5650 July 3, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Regina
  Finding contractor(s) advice. brewer 24 5920 June 30, 2017 at 11:45 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye