Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 2, 2024, 10:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Max Security Prison's Debate Team Bests Harvard
Max Security Prison's Debate Team Bests Harvard
http://thefreethoughtproject.com/prison-...s-harvard/

Quote:Napanoch, NY – In a true testament to the raw talent, and stellar minds being wasted in American maximum-security prisons, three men incarcerated for violent crimes at the Eastern New York Correctional Facility defeated the elite debate team from Harvard University.

On one side of the stage sat three Ivy League undergraduates from the elite Harvard debate team, while sitting opposite them were three men serving felony prison sentences for violent crimes.

After an hour of intellectual sparing the fast-moving debate was over, with the judges declaring victory for the inmates after weighing the veracity of each teams’ arguments.

The audience, which included almost 75 fellow participants in the Bard College Initiative, burst into applause when it was announced that the prison debate team had bested the Harvard team.

Prior to the start of the debate, team members discussed hopes of inspiring other inmates.

“If we win, it’s going to make a lot of people question what goes on in here,” said Alex Hall, a 31-year-old from Manhattan convicted of manslaughter. “We might not be as naturally rhetorically gifted, but we work really hard.”
The prison debate team is the product of the Bard College Initiative, which began in 2001. The program is a rigorous academic experience offered to the men incarcerated at the Catskills, New York penitentiary through the Bard College in Annandale-on-Hudson, N.Y.

The forward thinking program allows motivated inmates the ability to develop their academic talents through hard work and dedication. Roughly 10 inmates apply for each opening in the program through interviews and written essays.

According to a report by the Wall Street Journal:

There is no tuition. The initiative’s roughly $2.5 million annual budget comes from private donors and includes money it spends helping other programs follow its model in nine other states.

Last year Gov. Andrew Cuomo, a Democrat, proposed state grants for college classes for inmates, saying that helping them become productive taxpayers would save money long-term. He dropped the plan after attacks from Republican politicians who argued that many law-abiding families struggled to afford college and shouldn’t have pay for convicted criminals to get degrees.

The Bard program’s leaders say that out of more than 300 alumni who earned degrees while in custody, less than 2% returned to prison within three years, the standard time frame for measuring recidivism.

In New York state as a whole, by contrast, about 40% of ex-offenders end up back in prison, mostly because of to parole violations, according to the New York Department of Corrections and Community Supervision.

Members of the Harvard team were clearly impressed by the prisoners’ intellectual prowess.

“They caught us off guard,” said Harvard debate team member Anais Carell, a 20-year-old junior from Chicago.

The prison debate team has actually been scoring victories over some of the nation’s most elite debate teams.

In their first debate in spring of 2014, the prisoners beat the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, then defeated nationally ranked University of Vermont.

The stark reality is that an amazing wealth of human capital has been systematically thrown away in locked in cages as a means of lining the pockets of special interest groups and politicians, known as the Prison Industrial Complex.

Additionally, the program touts how much capital can be saved by implementing common sense educational opportunities for inmates.

According to the Bard Prison Initiative:

The criminal justice system is staggeringly expensive. As a country we spend $212 billion dollars annually to apprehend, try, and incarcerate prisoners. In recent years, the United States has maintained a prison population of more than 2.3 million people, with the average annual cost of over $29,000 per person (in many states, including New York, the cost is much higher). And while America has the longest and most punitive sentencing structures in the modern world, 750,000 inmates are released each year. Nationwide, nearly 68 out of every one hundred prisoners are rearrested within three years of release, and more than half return to prison. Research indicates that these high and expensive rates of recidivism fall to less than 22% if prisons offer significant educational opportunity to incarcerated men and women. Among formerly incarcerated Bard students, less than 2% have returned to prison. The estimated cost per person, per year of the BPI program is a small fraction of the price of continuing incarceration. It saves tax payers money, while increasing public safety.
At least 95% of all inmates will be released back onto the streets of America. The current prison system has essentially become college for criminals, with survival of the fittest being taught as the curriculum.

Is that who you want moving in next door to you?

The get tough on crime approach has failed, and new approaches must be undertaken to overhaul the failing corrections system. The Bard Prison Initiative program should serve as a model as to what can be accomplished if we shift our focus from a punitive to restorative model of justice.
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

RE: Max Security Prison's Debate Team Bests Harvard
Not surprising. I've always assumed that there are plenty of intelligent people in prison, beyond the archetypes of the cunning sociopath or criminal mastermind.

I would guess that a fair portion of inmates are smart people who just did stupid things...and several folks who are in prison, but don't belong there. Prison life probably makes them sharper, as a matter of necessity.

Seems like there'd be big enough pool to draw from in the smarts department...enough even to beat Haavahd. Smile
That's pretty cool.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
"I've listened to preachers / I've listened to fools / I've listened to dropouts / who make their own rules ... "

Sounds like Harvards on its way out.
Fun fact; the lunatic who founded conservapedia went there.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
Yeah, the PIC needs to go the way of the dinosaur. And those eggheads - "oh, we were taken by surprise." *le sigh.*
(October 7, 2015 at 6:43 am)RaphielDrake Wrote: Sounds like Harvards on its way out.

Bill O'Reilly too.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
While we pick on Harvard, take note of the fact that the inmates also "beat the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, then defeated nationally ranked University of Vermont".
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

(October 7, 2015 at 8:53 am)Faith No More Wrote:
(October 7, 2015 at 6:43 am)RaphielDrake Wrote: Sounds like Harvards on its way out.

Bill O'Reilly too.

To be fair I'm pretty certain Bill O'Reilly is a genius method actor that makes millions off of saying deliberately stupid and contentious shit to draw attention and ratings from both fruitloops, reactionaries and people who just enjoy watching train wrecks. 
Can't argue with his results.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
(October 7, 2015 at 12:23 pm)RaphielDrake Wrote:
(October 7, 2015 at 8:53 am)Faith No More Wrote: Bill O'Reilly too.

To be fair I'm pretty certain Bill O'Reilly is a genius method actor that makes millions off of saying deliberately stupid and contentious shit to draw attention and ratings from both fruitloops, reactionaries and people who just enjoy watching train wrecks. 
Can't argue with his results.

I've thought the same about Ann Coulter for years. She was a former Law Clerk for a Supreme Court Justice, meaning that she fully grasps how the law works, and yet I've seen her make some of the most insane, populism-baiting claims about how the law and the Constitution work that no one who graduated law school could possible misunderstand.

When I saw her speak in Lawrence, KS, in 2005, she was speaking to an audience almost entirely composed of ultra-conservatives from nearby Johnson County (3rd wealthiest county in the USA, and one of the most GOP/conservative places in ultra-conservative Kansas), and she made several comments on the "problems" of the gay marriage debate that flew in the face of the Court's reasoning in the Loving v. State of Virginia (1967) decision, so I asked her about it during the Q&A session that followed. Rather than address my parallel, she instead made a snide comment about me being a law student (I was not a student, nor had I ever studied law, at that time), and did not acknowledge that she had herself been a Clerk, despite the fact that I started my question with that point. 

No way it's not an act, or as you put it, "genius method actor that makes millions off saying deliberately stupid and contentious shit to draw attention and ratings from both fruitloops, reactionaries and people who just enjoy watching train wrecks".

Can't argue with results. As a brilliant poster on the The Thinking Atheist forums once put it, "There's gold in them thar rubes."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Trump going to Prison? FrustratedFool 392 20769 February 22, 2024 at 2:55 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Are you concerned about the future of Social Security? Foxaèr 20 1289 December 22, 2023 at 2:53 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  BREAKING:Italy charges Egyptian security agency officials over murder of Giulio R. WinterHold 27 1293 December 14, 2020 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Take them to Detroit,,,,,, Or prison... Brian37 70 3332 October 15, 2020 at 11:41 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  1rst Pres debate vs the VP debate and mods. Brian37 27 1537 October 9, 2020 at 8:48 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Is this debate about legal vs illegal immigration or white vs brown immigrants? Aegon 66 5380 August 25, 2019 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Heineken pulls sponsorship from sports team Brian37 0 263 May 31, 2019 at 11:31 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Violence in prison does not help. Brian37 1 487 April 29, 2019 at 3:57 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Italy crime: Gang rips open security van with diggers near Bari Duty 7 698 January 14, 2019 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: Duty
  BREAKING:The Turkish president refused to accept the U.S National Security Advisor WinterHold 1 448 January 9, 2019 at 8:42 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama