Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 3:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it possible to upload our minds into a computer or in engineered living tissue?
Is it possible to upload our minds into a computer or in engineered living tissue?
Quote:In recent times it has become appealing to believe that your dead brain might be preserved sufficiently by freezing so that some future civilization could bring your mind back to life. Assuming that no future scientists will reverse death, the hope is that they could analyze your brain’s structure and use this to recreate a functioning mind, whether in engineered living tissue or in a computer with a robotic body. By functioning, I mean thinking, feeling, talking, seeing, hearing, learning, remembering, acting. Your mind would wake up, much as it wakes up after a night’s sleep, with your own memories, feelings and patterns of thought, and continue on into the world.

We have often batted around this question here.  Not sure if anyone would like to have another go at it.  If so, this article by Kenneth D. Miller could provide a nice jumping off point for another go around.  Based on this article which appeared in last Sunday's NY Times which is all I know of the author, I believe he thinks it is not an in principle impossibility.  However he thinks it would be an enormously difficult problem requiring centuries of conceptual and technological breakthroughs.  In other words, we're skating on thin ice here since we must assume we will somehow answer questions we can't yet specify.  Yet he seems to be as much an expert as anyone we might like to find, and the article is pitched to our interested layman level.

Extended quote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/11/opinio....html?_r=0
RE: Is it possible to upload our minds into a computer or in engineered living tissue?
What do you think Mark?
Can/will it be accomplished before the sun goes down, permanently?

My mind would be easy, you'd fit it on a 3.5 inch floppy! 1.44MB (double sided of course! I'm not THAT dumb!)
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
RE: Is it possible to upload our minds into a computer or in engineered living tissue?
Hah hah. My beliefs on this subject very nearly mirror those regarding traditional notions of afterlife: don't think so/ don't care.
I'd hate to know what Walt's electricity bill is going to be!

[Image: sgucj.jpg]

Everyone know the only way to do it properly is by using carbonite! It's the element next to Kryptonite on the alternate idiodic table of the elements.

[Image: sgucv.jpg]
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
But this doesn't address the issue (though I did skim-read) of the upload being nothing but a copy. Sure, if it worked, another you could carry on living your life as normal, and be none the wiser - but it wouldn't be you.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
(October 13, 2015 at 6:39 am)Whateverist the White Wrote: Hah hah.  My beliefs on this subject very nearly mirror those regarding traditional notions of afterlife: don't think so/ don't care.

So why make a thread about it?  Huh
*predicts stages of this thread

1. The neurologists will say "Yes, it's technically plausible that one day the technology could exist..."
2. The philosophers will ask "Ahh, yes... but would it still be You?!".
3. The materialists will say "No, it wouldn't be You as You would have ceased to exist. Instead it would be You2.".
4. The technologists will say "We could program You2 to think it's you and behave as if there's been no discontinuity between existences.".
5. The dualists will say "Yes, it would be You as it would replicate the mechanism through which You interact with this reality."
6. The pragmatists will say "This is all redundant speculation."
7. A certain someone will chime-in "Why would our consciousness die when as we can see in nature nothing die? I'm all ears!
8. Someone will throw something
9. A moderator will say "Stop that now, you two!"
10. People will stop reading and the thread will die.
11. Someone will create an exact copy of the thread, post it without the deletion of the original thread and use it as evidence of the accuracy of prediction 3.
Sum ergo sum
(October 13, 2015 at 7:50 am)Iroscato Wrote: But this doesn't address the issue (though I did skim-read) of the upload being nothing but a copy. Sure, if it worked, another you could carry on living your life as normal, and be none the wiser - but it wouldn't be you.

If I were none the wiser, why would I care that it's not really "me?"
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(October 13, 2015 at 9:58 am)SnakeOilWarrior Wrote:
(October 13, 2015 at 7:50 am)Iroscato Wrote: But this doesn't address the issue (though I did skim-read) of the upload being nothing but a copy. Sure, if it worked, another you could carry on living your life as normal, and be none the wiser - but it wouldn't be you.

You wouldn't care because you'd be dead.
(October 13, 2015 at 9:58 am)SnakeOilWarrior Wrote:

You ever seen TNG: Second Chances?
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Living organisms Interaktive 36 3962 March 3, 2023 at 12:13 am
Last Post: Astreja
  Living in Fear tackattack 59 8317 July 18, 2022 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  A Potential, Possible, Maybe Medical Game-Changer BrianSoddingBoru4 0 265 March 21, 2022 at 4:36 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Question about computer glasses purplepurpose 18 1313 November 24, 2018 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  They shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks vorlon13 13 1435 December 22, 2017 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  I keep getting myself into shit Duke Guilmon 14 2715 August 23, 2017 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Into the abyss vorlon13 58 5017 January 12, 2017 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Scientists turn "straight" rats into "gay" rats. Foxaèr 20 5632 November 6, 2015 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Homeless Nutter
  Blowing Scientists Minds Blondie 34 6349 October 22, 2015 at 7:31 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
  What would happen/Is it possible Heat 17 2783 October 20, 2015 at 12:56 pm
Last Post: Faith No More