Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Prisoner's Dilemma and Objective/Subjective Morality
The Prisoner's Dilemma and Objective/Subjective Morality
I was thinking about objective and subjective morality earlier today, and I was thinking about the nature of an absolute moral giver and it made me think about the prisoner's dilemma. So, there are two general solutions to the prisoner's dilemma, depending on how you look at it. Well, it's a bit more complicated, but these two work nicely with the idea of subjective morality.

Always defect: If you act selfishly, you will minimize your losses and maximize your gains. This solution is obvious. It's a dick move, but obvious. If you don't know the other guy (or at least not well), it certainly seems like the safe route.

Always cooperate: This one is a bit more tricky. If you consider the two prisoners to be part of a larger group, always cooperating nets the smallest amount of time between the two of them, combined. This option is the clear winner if both sides trust each other sufficiently (hinting that they know each other or trust the other to act rationally in this regard).

So, when talking to someone prescribing to objective morality, one of their biggest complaints of moral relativism is that even in a group that is currently cooperating, there's nothing stopping someone from suddenly acting selfishly, ruining the whole thing. Now, this is technically true, but it's an over simplification. This behavior happens among those believing in absolute morality, as well, so it's not like their system is stopping this behavior, or anything.

Still, it made me think of a third option to the above two. It's the one that many theists allude to when complaining about moral relativism:

Mafia Don: There's a criminal with far-reaching connections who hates squealers. Any prisoner who defects gets whacked before he sees the light of day, so everyone plays nice.

Now, that's a compelling system (if you believe the Don exists and has any power over you), but it's not really a system of morality. It's just replacing the one selfish option with a different selfish option. And what's more funny: even in light of this option, you can still opt to cooperate without worrying about God the Don. You can still opt to be moral on your own without threat of force.

Reason number [I've lost count] why arrogant moral absolutists annoy me.
RE: The Prisoner's Dilemma and Objective/Subjective Morality
All moral is subjective.
Objective morality doesn't exist unless there is a god and proven to be one
then all morality is subjective.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(December 16, 2014 at 10:13 pm)dyresand Wrote: All moral is subjective.
Objective morality doesn't exist unless there is a god and proven to be one
then all morality is subjective.

Well, yes, but that doesn't stop the theists from claiming otherwise.
Your mistaken the "Mafia don" is a psychopathic serial killer he "rules over" his band of psycho elitist scumbags simply because he is crazier then them.

Because you used the word "mafia" should i assume your referring too italy??
Objective morality doesn't exist even if a god does. The existence of God just adds one more subjective opinion to the mix. That this God has the power to enforce his version of morality doesn't make it objective.
(December 16, 2014 at 10:46 pm)Ryantology (╯°◊°)╯︵ ══╬ Wrote: Objective morality doesn't exist even if a god does. The existence of God just adds one more subjective opinion to the mix. That this God has the power to enforce his version of morality doesn't make it objective.

If god existed he can put you under subjective morals saying you cannot do this or that. making objective morals for humans because god said so or if you do not follow it you get a swift smiting. but even still i agree with you there will be moral things that us as humans wont agree with god and we would say we don't like it we won't listen.

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
It all depends on what you define morality to mean. I've tried to get theists to define it, and not one of them ever has.

The only thing I've heard them say is "What God says is moral." In other words, it's meaningless. It's a tautology. If they won't define it outside of God, then there's no point even discussing it. God can call something moral, but that doesn't make it "good" in any way.

This is a common problem. Get theists to define their shit or else they just slip and slide around all day.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(December 16, 2014 at 10:43 pm)simplemoss Wrote: Because you used the word "mafia" should i assume your referring too italy??

Picture more of "stand in for God". It worked well when using the metaphor of a prison.

(December 16, 2014 at 10:46 pm)Ryantology (╯°◊°)╯︵ ══╬ Wrote: Objective morality doesn't exist even if a god does. The existence of God just adds one more subjective opinion to the mix. That this God has the power to enforce his version of morality doesn't make it objective.

I agree that it still wouldn't be objective (unless they take the unusual stance that morality is even higher than God, in which case: where did it come from?). Still, that doesn't stop theists from complaining about moral relativism and assuming that someone stronger than them telling them what to do "solves" this problem.
I tend to argue that theist morality isn't truly "objective" morality, it's simply authoritarian. Let's say that instead of saying that he'll punish squealers, your don says all of his gang members have to wear purple bow ties. Is it immoral for his gang members to wear pink ties?

But with god it gets more tangled. What of he says it's wrong to snitch in some situations, but you must snitch if the cop is wearing orange pants?
(December 17, 2014 at 7:04 pm)Natachan Wrote: I tend to argue that theist morality isn't truly "objective" morality, it's simply authoritarian. Let's say that instead of saying that he'll punish squealers, your don says all of his gang members have to wear purple bow ties. Is it immoral for his gang members to wear pink ties?

But with god it gets more tangled. What of he says it's wrong to snitch in some situations, but you must snitch if the cop is wearing orange pants?

Its not true authoritarian they would need to prove god exists first so they can say there is a higher authority.

Code:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bibe Study 2: Questionable Morality Rhondazvous 30 2853 May 27, 2019 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Vicki Q
  Christian morality delusions tackattack 87 9015 November 27, 2018 at 8:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Truth in a story which is entirely dependent upon subjective interpretation Astonished 47 6139 January 10, 2017 at 8:57 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  pop morality Drich 862 140935 April 9, 2016 at 12:54 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Question to Theists About the Source of Morality GrandizerII 33 7650 January 8, 2016 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  A theist dilemma ApeNotKillApe 34 8678 November 27, 2015 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: Drich
  C.S. Lewis and the Argument From Morality Jenny A 15 6207 August 3, 2015 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  The questionable morality of Christianity (and Islam, for that matter) rado84 35 7515 July 21, 2015 at 9:01 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Stereotyping and morality Dontsaygoodnight 34 8153 March 20, 2015 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  You CAN game Christian morality RobbyPants 82 17612 March 12, 2015 at 3:39 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII