Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 6:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why atheism?
Why atheism?
Why the belief in no God? Can anyone explain?

I say this as a theist and a devout christian. I am seriously wonderng why you would choose to be an atheist.

Argue 
The conversation would get heated if I didn't put that up there! hahaha

There are litterally no classifications as of what to believe. It's all a matter of choice. You indeed do choose what to believe and what not to believe, and as such I can see no reason for atheism. You wanted examples so here they are. You must choose to believe for one. You would then choose, theism. But if you do choose to believe, you are still believing something. I suggest that because you must choose to believe in theism, you are making a choice to believe. Before you ever choose not to believe in anything, you believed in God, God, God. You never made the decision to devote to pure skepticism and hiding, masks or charades. You never made that choice yet.

What do you choose to believe? Why do you think there is a choice as to what to believe anyway?

Is there something that comes before us that causes us to choose to believe in atheism (of all the wacko types of choices there would be to make).

And to choose to believe in atheism is not difficult, but I say this as a christian: why would you even think there is something in the past that causes us to be able to disbelieve? What in nature could possibly cause the belief in atheism even? Or will you cease to be rational and put atheism as a rationaless belief, a pure monkey hybrid kind of fact? Surely not. And surely not to there being something in our past that can cause us to (naturally) disbelieve in God.

Heart I say this out of the kindness of my heart. But I don't intend on making an essay here. If I made this post a full page in length I wouldn't be suprised. It's because this is a topic that really neels down to me and suggests I make a contribution.

We christians know that the FSM is just pure hipocricy. The thing is, we know it. Why don't we take a stand to it? It's the atheists of the world that have caused "disbelief" in the first place. NAZIism and disbelief go hand in hand. We don't create it it's created. We don't choose it it's chosen. And last but not least there isn't even a choice there! You can't choose to be agnostic because that's out of the sleeve no cards in hand. You can't choose to disbelieve. Afterall, we do not simply choose to bow in prayer to the FSM do we?

Some people do.

And I ask why.[please finish the essay for me if you don't mind me saying so]
haha, jk
JBrentonK
RE: Why atheism?
Are you fucking kidding me?!?!
I didn't really choose to be an atheist. It's just something to happen after I thought about christianity for a while, and realized it's not really any different from any other religion. Aside fro the fact that it lasted longer than most. Though it's not the oldest active religion.

I didn't choose Christianity when I was a Christian. I was indoctrinated. If I hadn't grown up in a town that was majority Christian, it's unlikely I would have been one. Just like someone born and raised in Saudi Arabia is likely to be a muslim.

I was a Christian because I was told to be Christian when I was in a position where you obey your elders or get punished. I left Christianity when I developed a stronger sense of right and wrong, and became more independent.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(October 13, 2015 at 8:20 pm)JBrentonK Wrote: Why the belief in no God? Can anyone explain?

Not believing in a god is not the same thing as believing there are no gods. Keep that in mind.

Quote:I say this as a theist and a devout christian. I am seriously wonderng why you would choose to be an atheist.

Because no religion or theistic claim has ever had sufficient justification to accept it as true. I cannot believe anything that does not meet my standards of evidence.

Quote:There are litterally no classifications as of what to believe. It's all a matter of choice. You indeed do choose what to believe and what not to believe, and as such I can see no reason for atheism. You wanted examples so here they are. You must choose to believe for one. You would then choose, theism. But if you do choose to believe, you are still believing something. I suggest that because you must choose to believe in theism, you are making a choice to believe. Before you ever choose not to believe in anything, you believed in God, God, God. You never made the decision to devote to pure skepticism and hiding, masks or charades. You never made that choice yet.

You can't choose what you believe. Your beliefs are consequences of your standards of evidence as applied to claims; I can't just choose to sincerely believe that I can fly. I can claim that I believe that but rationally I would know that I cannot fly because of my understanding of how the world works. Similarly, I can claim to be religious if I so choose, but the actual belief could not possibly be accepted as true given the current state of the evidence.

Quote:What do you choose to believe? Why do you think there is a choice as to what to believe anyway?

There isn't a choice. My beliefs are informed by the available evidence. That's the whole reason I'm an atheist.

Quote:Is there something that comes before us that causes us to choose to believe in atheism (of all the wacko types of choices there would be to make).

Yes, there's a recognition that following the evidence leads to the best possible life, which is demonstrated by just how effective the scientific method has been at improving conditions for people.

Quote:And to choose to believe in atheism is not difficult, but I say this as a christian: why would you even think there is something in the past that causes us to be able to disbelieve? What in nature could possibly cause the belief in atheism even? Or will you cease to be rational and put atheism as a rationaless belief, a pure monkey hybrid kind of fact? Surely not. And surely not to there being something in our past that can cause us to (naturally) disbelieve in God.

What are you talking about? Rational assessment of the evidence is a fantastic survival strategy, it allowed us to become the dominant species on the planet.

Quote:We christians know that the FSM is just pure hipocricy. The thing is, we know it. Why don't we take a stand to it? It's the atheists of the world that have caused "disbelief" in the first place. NAZIism and disbelief go hand in hand.

Would those be the same Nazis who had "god with us" on every uniform? Or did you just not think before you made an inflammatory statement? Dodgy
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(October 13, 2015 at 8:20 pm)JBrentonK Wrote: Why the belief in no God? Can anyone explain?

I say this as a theist and a devout christian. I am seriously wonderng why you would choose to be an atheist.

Argue 
The conversation would get heated if I didn't put that up there! hahaha

There are litterally no classifications as of what to believe. It's all a matter of choice. You indeed do choose what to believe and what not to believe, and as such I can see no reason for atheism. You wanted examples so here they are. You must choose to believe for one. You would then choose, theism. But if you do choose to believe, you are still believing something. I suggest that because you must choose to believe in theism, you are making a choice to believe. Before you ever choose not to believe in anything, you believed in God, God, God. You never made the decision to devote to pure skepticism and hiding, masks or charades. You never made that choice yet.

What do you choose to believe? Why do you think there is a choice as to what to believe anyway?

Is there something that comes before us that causes us to choose to believe in atheism (of all the wacko types of choices there would be to make).

atheists are simply people who are not convinced that God exists and why should they choose to believe something that hasnt been proven to them ?

what is FSM ?

and is this some kind of comedy skit or are you being serious ?
Imagine there's no heaven It's easy if you try No hell below us Above us only sky Imagine all the people Living for today   FSM Grin   Imagine there's no countries It isn't hard to do Nothing to kill or die for And no religion too Imagine all the people Living life in peace You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you will join us And the world will be as one  - John Lennon

The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also  - Mark Twain
[Image: nineinchnails_1394458972_crop_550x550.jpg]
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(October 13, 2015 at 8:20 pm)JBrentonK Wrote: . . .

We christians know that the FSM is just pure hipocricy. The thing is, we know it. Why don't we take a stand to it? It's the atheists of the world that have caused "disbelief" in the first place. NAZIism and disbelief go hand in hand. We don't create it it's created. We don't choose it it's chosen. And last but not least there isn't even a choice there! You can't choose to be agnostic because that's out of the sleeve no cards in hand. You can't choose to disbelieve. Afterall, we do not simply choose to bow in prayer to the FSM do we?

. . .

dafuq ??
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Quote:Why the belief in no God? Can anyone explain?

In my case it is not a belief.  It is the failure of the proponents of various gods to produce any evidence for their delusions.  By all means, if you find some feel free to present it.

P.S.  The bible is not "evidence."
(October 13, 2015 at 8:38 pm)vorlon13 Wrote:
(October 13, 2015 at 8:20 pm)JBrentonK Wrote: . . .

. . .

dafuq ??

Yeah, not all of his post makes sense. The flying spaghetti monster isn't hypocrisy. It's satire. Nazism and disbelief don't go hand in hand, because the Nazis were extremist Christians. God with us, and all that.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

It was going to be like a full length essay about the choice of belief and why it effects us or something, but unfortunately my next target jenny has failed to see this and instead advoided it completely. As for nazis', the entire epidemic was atheistic. In fact, that should appear obvious upon a re-reading of my post.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not? Nishant Xavier 91 4971 August 6, 2023 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Why Atheism Replaces Religion In Developed Countries Interaktive 33 5993 April 26, 2018 at 8:57 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why Atheism/Secular Humanism... Part II TheReal 53 25968 April 23, 2018 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Why atheism is important, and why religion is dangerous causal code 20 8578 October 17, 2017 at 4:42 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27168 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why Anarcho-Capitalism Is a Canard and Its Implications for Atheism log 110 12579 January 19, 2017 at 11:26 pm
Last Post: TheRealJoeFish
Wink 100% proof why atheism is True!!! Edward John 89 11965 November 10, 2016 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Why atheism dyresand 6 1513 May 19, 2016 at 4:24 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Why atheism cannot escape absolute truth Delicate 154 25846 November 5, 2015 at 9:59 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Two Undeniable Truths Why Theism is True and Atheism and Agnosticism are Not True HiYou 49 12295 July 21, 2015 at 6:59 am
Last Post: KUSA