Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creationism and Ignorance
Creationism and Ignorance
In a recent post, I said that contemporary Christian culture has an ignorance problem. Roughly a third of the people in this country outright deny evolution, claiming that humans were created in the form they hold today. A third is a lot--too damn many if you ask me.

I've gotten into debates on other forums with fundies who claim that scientists are misinterpreting the data. All this is fine and good, but even assuming that scientists are misinterpreting the data, the reason that many evangelicals accept creationism is not because they have looked at the data and concluded a misinterpretation on the part of scientists. They are simply malinformed. See the chart below:

[Image: FT_16.02.12_darwinDay_420px.png]
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/201...arwin-day/

It seems peculiar to me that roughly a third of the population accepts the doctrine of creationism and roughly a third imagines that there is some sort of disagreement between scientists concerning evolution. Methinks there is some overlap between those who are misinformed about the position of scientists and those who accept creationism.

I felt like I should post this thread not only to justify my earlier statements about the ignorance problem but also to highlight the problem itself... hopefully prompting discussion. Even if creationism is true, this is inexcusable and it represents anti-intellectualism and rejection of the facts at its finest.

But where does the problem lie? Is it with our education system? Religious indoctrination? Both? Neither? Regardless of where one stands on the issue, I think we can all admit that a third of the population being malinformed is problematic.

Supplementary information:

RE: Creationism and Ignorance
"Christian culture has an ignorance problem" is only a problem if you're not religious!
Maybe we are ignorant to God's ways Dunno

90% of the world can't be wrong, could they?

Big Grin
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Both. The US has a lot of willfully ignorant and stupid people. Take a look at the following Bonnie and Clyde had back in the day. How is it that people who were robbing banks and murdering people gained a following? It's a good thing they weren't throwing money changers out of the local temple, or they'd be saints by now.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
It does seem like it should be possible to be religious without being so willfully ignorant. I wish more would try harder.
Quote:It seems peculiar to me that roughly a third of the population accepts the doctrine of creationism and roughly a third imagines that there is some sort of disagreement between scientists concerning evolution.

When you listen to the talking snake crowd around here how can you be surprised?  They desperately cling to their bullshit.  I actually doubt it is because they are all that totally stupid.  But they are chickenshits who feel secure if they think they have an invisible friend watching out for them.  Fear+stupidity.  The common elements of religion and trumpism.
(May 2, 2018 at 1:17 am)Whateverist Wrote: It does seem like it should be possible to be religious without being so willfully ignorant.  I wish more would try harder.

I'd say there are many of them. But hardly any visit atheist forums unless they have an agenda.
Some exclusions do apply naturally.

EG: why would I go to a religious forum? What to gain? Knowledge? Disdain?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(May 2, 2018 at 12:22 am)Fireball Wrote: Both. The US has a lot of willfully ignorant and stupid people. Take a look at the following Bonnie and Clyde had back in the day. How is it that people who were robbing banks and murdering people gained a following? It's a good thing they weren't throwing money changers out of the local temple, or they'd be saints by now.

Every culture has a lot of willfully ignorant people.  The difference is other culture rightfully attach shame to it.  But in the US the political fraction that stole credibility by wrapping itself in the flag then further tries to aggrandize itself by tying the American national identity to it so as to secure the willfully ignorant to its own political fortunes.
(May 2, 2018 at 1:34 am)ignoramus Wrote: EG: why would I go to a religious forum? What to gain? Knowledge? Disdain?

I go on a fundie forums to debate... I love debate, and I'm not afraid to approach them on their turf.

Otherwise, I occasionally visit religious forums to understand and be understood... maybe find some common ground. I found a fellow Plato fan on a Christian forum, and we PM about him, so that stuff happens too.

However, oftentimes I am left with disdain, just as you said--so there's that. I consider this place "home base" though, and if blatant ignorance ever becomes too much for me, I can always come back here express my issues to people who understand. (That's part of what prompted this thread, actually.) So I'm grateful for the AF community, and I don't think I could stand going on religious forums without also being able to come back here and have conversations with people who respect logic and reason.
Willful ignorance on this particular non-issue is why I've largely dropped out of the creation/evolution 'debate'.  Repeatedly thumping your head against a brick wall never damages the wall, it just takes a toll on your head.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 1, 2018 at 11:54 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote: It seems peculiar to me that roughly a third of the population accepts the doctrine of creationism and roughly a third imagines that there is some sort of disagreement between scientists concerning evolution. Methinks there is some overlap between those who are misinformed about the position of scientists and those who accept creationism.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001WAKDTA/ref...TF8&btkr=1

Quote:In this book are the testimonies of fifty men and women holding doctorates in a wide range of scientific fields who have been convicted by the evidence to believe in a literal six-day creation.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is the Afro-Asiatic linguistics incompatible with Young-Earth Creationism? FlatAssembler 17 1374 July 13, 2023 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  Creationism out in Youngstown brewer 17 2747 September 25, 2016 at 7:48 am
Last Post: c172
  The ignorance of science and the big bang in christianity dyresand 10 2260 May 1, 2016 at 2:25 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  My case against Creationism and Infinite regression ErGingerbreadMandude 60 10039 April 26, 2016 at 10:59 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  BBC's Conspiracy Road Trip: Creationism Cyberman 5 1503 March 12, 2016 at 8:45 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Fundie Creationism song 2016 drfuzzy 17 3636 January 29, 2016 at 8:50 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Creationism lulz Longhorn 14 2892 June 15, 2015 at 2:56 pm
Last Post: Longhorn
  Jason Lisle: Creationism exists, but atheism doesn't Cyberman 51 11270 June 11, 2015 at 6:30 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Billion + believe in Satan. Should all schools be mandated to teach Creationism? Greatest I am 20 5067 December 2, 2014 at 7:26 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Evidence for Creationism Mudhammam 51 11457 June 18, 2014 at 6:56 am
Last Post: Esquilax