Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First World Problems
First World Problems
While it is fun to ironically complain about first world problems, I realize that I've always had my problems with this joke - and I was reminded of that when we met a group of syrian refugees who live in a pastor's office in a neighboring town. Someone told me that they heard villagers complain that these refugees have cell phones. I realized that it is a very pervasive sentiment in the rich western world that we kind of expect refugees and inhabitants of poor countries (*) to only have unsophisticated needs and thoughts.Forget the guy I mentioned above, most people who eagerly donate for good causes I suspect kind of don't expect the recipiants in, say, sub saharan africa, to think about anything but where to get some grains and water. How disappointing would it be (and I'm being deliberately cynical here) to discover that the guy you just bought a sack of produce for actually spends time thinking about writing some poetry, where to get a good internet connection and how cool landing probes on comets is. That's not the kind of dirt-dwelling victim that is satisfying to donate to! People in third World countries if I may use this stupid obsolete term, do think about "first world problems". It is in my mind a subliminal racist sentiment that wants "us" to think of "them" as simple characters with simple needs.

What do you think, am I going to far here?

(*) I don't necessarily mean syria here
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

RE: First World Problems
I think you're spot on...

[Image: smpeu.jpg]
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Cell phones are hardly a luxury item nowadays. I mean - seriously, everyone in the Western World probably has a bunch of burners lying around somewhere, since smart-phones became standard. Not to mention Asia, where most of those have been manufactured. They're junk and I don't find it at all strange, that even poor Africans would have them.

Still, our vision of what we call 3rd world is undoubtedly based to a large extent on condescension, xenophobia and plain-old ignorance.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
It's basically the same for any poor person. It seems like we still have a 1930s view on poverty. We simply don't forage through bins for food anymore.

The one I hear so often is about how welfare recipients are gaming the system if they have a cellphone, television, or a car that wasn't made in 1990. Nevermind that you MUST have a phone to get a job. Or that cars and television could have been owned before hard times. And people are allowed to receive gifts.

There's some serious classist, racist, ableist beliefs about being poor. There's of course the Reagan myth of the welfare queen. That 2/3 of poor are on drugs. Hell there are so many intersections at the hub of poor it's ridiculous.
Yeah, I get reminded of the lady who was criticized because she used welfare money to buy an xbox for her kid - I can see why a parent would want to bring some joy to his offspring, specially if they're very poor.

Smartphones are pretty much the standard now, even I own a smartphone after years of resisting and taking the hispter route that old phones are better. Obviously, there's times when first world problems might just apply, like when someone is complaining how miserable their life is because one of their 10 jet planes broke.

I fully support the idea that we should't infantilize poor people.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Bigger problems are bigger... but small problems are stilll problems.

And the troubling experiences we all struggle through in life, they are all valid.

I am never a fan of people who think they have it worse off than me - and maybe they do - therefore thinking that I don't have any problems at all with a rather ratty "You're lucky you only have X, y and Z" problems....

...I could say the same to them by comparing them to people who have even worse problems than them.

All problems are valid especially problems that effect people on a personal level. We all struggle.

It's like I hate those people who think Robin Williams "had it all" and was an idiot for killing himself... money isn't everything - his problem was massively real... mental illness is just as valid a problem as poverty.

I think a lot of charities are valid... in fact I think it's doing some good, something to help, that's really important. There are so many good causes... ultimately - if you can afford it - just pick a good cause. There are many problems and many good causes... just be good and try to be considerate to the problems of others and your own.... try to empathize and be compassionate, just try. And if you "just can't understand" and you're bigoted against someone's genuine problems: Step aside please. I don't think intolerance to the problems of others that are just as valid as your own is very welcome.
Quote: People in third World countries if I may use this stupid obsolete term, do think about "first world problems". It is in my mind a subliminal racist sentiment that wants "us" to think of "them" as simple characters with simple needs.

I don't see how a sentiment against poor people in general would be racist, as there is no one culture or race that is exclusively poor or seeking refuge in other countries.
As for a subliminal sentiment, I'm not sure exactly what that is but I think it is a natural reaction to want to donate to people who are in desperate need and to be angry at people not in desperate need who may be getting free money and accommodation.  Homeless people commonly exploit this by presenting themselves as worse off than they are.
As for the Syrians with mobile phones, it is an illogical sentiment to say they don't deserve sympathy because they have a mobile phone, on the other hand if they're taking selfies while using a brand new iphone, smiling at the camera while posing with hundred doller bills in one hand, then yeh I can see why people would be annoyed.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Might be 'crypto-racism', a sentiment that most poor people are brown or black, so denigrating poor people lets you kvetch about browns and black while retaining plausible deniability on the racism.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
I hate stereotypes.
My experience with people from developing countries is that getting ahold of that much cash would be considered something you would want to send a picture of to all your friends and family. There might not be anyone they know from back home who ever held that much money.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lying Sack Of Shit Already Having Memory Problems Minimalist 38 5628 January 4, 2018 at 3:56 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Hilarious! Trump having problems finding artists. Jehanne 155 20708 December 30, 2016 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Racism, Gypsies, immigrants, problems & solutions Zenith 22 4160 March 27, 2015 at 9:44 pm
Last Post: Regina