Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 3:28 am

Poll: Are you in or out of the closet?
This poll is closed.
Closeted
18.37%
9 18.37%
Mostly out
22.45%
11 22.45%
Out and PROUD!
46.94%
23 46.94%
Something else
12.24%
6 12.24%
Total 49 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you out of the closet?
Are you out of the closet?
Just curious about the forum population. Are you a quiet, closet atheist, an atheist who likes to be part of an organization (conventions, etc), loud and proud, etc?

I am closeted for a couple of reasons, first one being I do not think my beliefs are of any consequence to others in most cases (I don't discuss politics for the same reason). Also, it would put my job in jeopardy.
If The Flintstones have taught us anything, it's that pelicans can be used to mix cement.

-Homer Simpson
RE: Are you out of the closet?
I've never been in the closet... I've always been open about my atheism.

I only tell people if they ask though... I used to be a lot more 'militant' but that was during the first few years on these forums Big Grin
I'm out with everyone but my parents and members of my family who are likely to tell my parents. I'm 28 and on my own, but I still don't see how it would positively impact the relationship, seeing as how I'm from a ministry family and they would spend the rest of their lives trying to convert me back.
Verbatim from the mouth of Jesus (retranslated from a retranslation of a copy of a copy):

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you too will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. How can you see your brother's head up his ass when your own vision is darkened by your head being even further up your ass? How can you say to your brother, 'Get your head out of your ass,' when all the time your head is up your own ass? You hypocrite! First take your head out of your own ass, and then you will see clearly who has his head up his ass and who doesn't." Matthew 7:1-5 (also Luke 6: 41-42)

Also, I has a website: www.RedbeardThePink.com
Out but don't openly publish/proclaim it. Only when the subject comes up. Any one that knows me knows I'm atheist.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Somebody should make this a poll. I'm an outie.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I am cautious with my proclamation of non belief.
I love watching bill Mahr...who is doing such good work.
I think people who believe are just too coded minded to understand the depth of my decision. They are on a loop in their minds. I let them be....it would be easier to be a true believerer. I often wonder how many believers really just don't know what to think ....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
I am low key about my atheism. I do not broadcast it nor will I deny it. There are some political situations that I feel it is in my best interest to just ignore or avoid confrontation.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
(October 17, 2015 at 1:00 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: Somebody should make this a poll.  I'm an outie.

Ask and ye shall receive.
If The Flintstones have taught us anything, it's that pelicans can be used to mix cement.

-Homer Simpson
I used to hide myself under the mild term of "agnostic", but in this last year I've embraced my atheism and I am out of the closet about it. I own one of those "fiction" t-shirts and I have a bumper sticker on my car that says "In the beginning man created God."

I used to be afraid of proclaiming my non belief, but now I think that being open about it is what makes people aware of it. And people should be aware that we exist.
Anyone who knows me knows I am an atheist.

Unless you ask, I'm not going to broadcast it.

But you could probably guess if we get into a political/social issues conversation.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any ignostics who came out of the closet? Der/die AtheistIn 10 2224 June 3, 2018 at 8:30 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 7018 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Question for Atheists: Is coming out as an atheist as hard as coming out as gay? Blackrook 46 11934 May 2, 2015 at 2:38 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Are you a "closet" Atheist? Spooky 73 12283 December 31, 2014 at 1:24 am
Last Post: LivingNumbers6.626
  Have you ever felt you were missing out on the good things church has to offer? artistriley 45 7280 September 30, 2013 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Day #3 Out of the Closet FallentoReason 12 3169 December 4, 2012 at 4:41 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  I'm coming out of the closet, wish me luck. Ziploc Surprise 40 14303 February 8, 2012 at 11:26 am
Last Post: Ziploc Surprise
  Coming out of the Atheist closet... Eywa 7 3313 July 31, 2010 at 9:26 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  ‘Out of the Closet’ — Black Atheists leo-rcc 17 7985 June 14, 2009 at 6:27 am
Last Post: LEDO