Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 7:17 am

Poll: Closet?
This poll is closed.
Nobody Knows.
21.21%
7 21.21%
Not afraid to be honest.
78.79%
26 78.79%
Total 33 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Are you a "closet" Atheist?
Are you a "closet" Atheist?
I realize the term usually applies in other ways. But I see it fitting here as well. For example, much of my wife's family is Christian or similar. Especially with facebook, going to Christmas service, and in general around other people I'd expect to react negatively, I say nothing, lie, or give non answers. Granted I believe beliefs are personal and should be kept that way. I just feel like I'm limited in how honest I can be. Do you face this as well?
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
RE: Are you a "closet" Atheist?
I am not exactly sure if I would be termed an atheist, but my dad is an atheist, my mom...well she doesn't care about it either way, unless it somehow effects her monthly budget plans, and somehow my friends know not to talk to me about religion (I wonder why), and I've never had to hide my opinions. I guess I have been quite lucky that way...
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

I came out to my immediate family, and a sparse few others, but most people who know me aren't aware I'm an atheist. does it count if my immediate family knows, but we're just not very public about it?
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I'm an atheist no matter which bit of the house I'm in.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 20, 2014 at 7:49 pm)Chad32 Wrote: I came out to my immediate family, and a sparse few others, but most people who know me aren't aware I'm an atheist. does it count if my immediate family knows, but we're just not very public about it?

I suppose it would. In my case only my wife knows.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Only my sister and cousin know, also atheists.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
I don't go around advertising it, usually, but I definitely don't hide it.
I never make a secret about it, but I'm not waving some imaginary atheist sign over my head either. If someone asks, I tell them, if they don't, there are other topics to talk about. In fact, talking about religion has always been the last thing on my mind. With my family it's always been a non issue and my friends are either pagans or atheists.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
I usually don't wear an atheist tshirt, but I'll tell whomever when it comes up in a discussion. The most public atheism I've ever done was some bible bashing while on stage. There was applause, so....
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I don't hide my disdain for religion when it expresses itself in ways I find harmful, which is quite often considering the requirement that people stop using their brains for 90% of its claims.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any ignostics who came out of the closet? Der/die AtheistIn 10 2174 June 3, 2018 at 8:30 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 6957 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Are you out of the closet? Mermaid 71 9636 November 23, 2015 at 11:04 am
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Day #3 Out of the Closet FallentoReason 12 3131 December 4, 2012 at 4:41 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  I'm coming out of the closet, wish me luck. Ziploc Surprise 40 14274 February 8, 2012 at 11:26 am
Last Post: Ziploc Surprise
  Coming out of the Atheist closet... Eywa 7 3278 July 31, 2010 at 9:26 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  ‘Out of the Closet’ — Black Atheists leo-rcc 17 7951 June 14, 2009 at 6:27 am
Last Post: LEDO