Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who reacted the worst when you "came out" as an Atheist?
Who reacted the worst when you "came out" as an Atheist?
I haven't made it officially open. I have a lot of family that is going to freak the fuck out when they find out. I wanted to see if anybody had any stories about their own coming out.

I don't want to feel like I have to hide it. I want to be open and be able to post things on my facebook but I am absolutely scared of my dad and his family and how they are going to freak.
RE: Who reacted the worst when you "came out" as an Atheist?
My grandmother thinks I'm going to hell, and still brings up god to try to bring me back to the fold. It kind of upsets her that I'm not a christian anymore. Still, I don't have it as bad as some people.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

My dad reacted worse at first, since he has always had a terrible grasp on his temper. My mom persisted longer in trying to argue with me, though. It's a good thing that we aren't on speaking terms for completely unrelated reasons, or I'd still be dealing with it today.

If you are afraid of their reactions, then I'd suggest keeping it to yourself for now. If you are living on your own by now, though, then there's probably no reason to worry about being open about this.
I should mention I live dead smack in the bible belt. because fml. I can't drive 3 blocks without passing 6 churches.
I'm lucky to live in a part of the world where people just don't give a damn what religion (or lack thereof) you are.
"Faith is the excuse people give when they have no evidence."
  - Matt Dillahunty.
Agnosticism doesn't garner a bat of an eye at 12 Steppers these days.

I've been increasingly clear about atheism with a couple of friends in that orbit, but for reasons I've noted elsewhere before, that would be an inappropriate item for the general membership.

As for my uh, 'casual' (read that as brief or temporary) acquaintances, the topic of atheism has never come up. I recall theism only coming up on 2 occasions (probably more but 2 stick out) and as it turns out, both occasions, I wound up not boinking the guy.

A close gay friend of mine from way back is aware of my unbridled hostility to Christian fundamentalism and evangelicalism, and, LOL, scripture cherry pickers too. And he is very active in the Metropolitan Community Church. I've not rubbed his nose in my approval of that schism specifically because it does so aggravate, annoy, vex and bother the aforementioned fundamentalists and evangelicals, and that is the only thing I approve about it. It would definitely hurt his feelings to know I consider everything else about his religion to be specious twaddle. So he's aware I 'approve' of his church, but completely unaware that the approval is entirely due to it's aggravation factor to the rest (nearly) of Christendom, and absolutely nothing else.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

In my home country of Krautistan, nobody cares. My friends in west Texas were a bit upset.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Nobody I know. Around here, not being atheist would make me the unusual one.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
god, he thru the worst hissy fit. 

It's been to many years, maybe my sister.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
My family were all pretty cool about it. Even my sis, a born-again, didn't freak out, she just asked me "Why?" a few score times until she realized my answer was pretty much the same.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is the worst religion in existence? Hi600 89 6185 May 6, 2023 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Pride - the worst sin according to C.S.Lewis Duty 72 7324 February 25, 2023 at 8:08 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
Information The worst thing according to Iranians Eclectic 2 846 September 19, 2022 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: Eclectic
  Any ignostics who came out of the closet? Der/die AtheistIn 10 2226 June 3, 2018 at 8:30 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Why am I still worrying about coming out as atheist? Der/die AtheistIn 48 5533 February 11, 2018 at 10:37 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  One of the worst chick tracts ever dyresand 133 20282 November 10, 2016 at 11:45 am
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 7034 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Worst Thing Said to You for Being a Non-believer Strider 18 8222 October 12, 2015 at 2:00 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  What's worst: god, horoscope or homeopathy? renatoab 37 5509 June 7, 2015 at 6:13 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Question for Atheists: Is coming out as an atheist as hard as coming out as gay? Blackrook 46 11943 May 2, 2015 at 2:38 am
Last Post: robvalue