Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 8:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
£3 Million that could be towards far better causes
£3 Million that could be towards far better causes
*put towards far better causes.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8699108.stm
RE: £3 Million that could be towards far better causes
Quote:The Papal visit will cost £15m, not including extra policing and security.
WHAT?

Kindly stay in the Vatican City Pedo Pope. Perhaps your infallibility blinds you to the fact that we're still recovering from the recession.
I don't understand why it needs to cost the UK anything.

The UK is a free country. It doesn't cost them a penny when I go to visit. What do they need to pay for security for? This is God's right hand man. If he gets whacked, it was God's will was it not? Shouldn't security be handled by God?

If the pope fails to provide for his own security and gets whacked, is he partly responsible for the crime committed against him?Big Grin
(not legally, personally)
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
Anyone want to go to one of the many protests that will happen when he comes over? I reckon it'll be a great day out, lol Big Grin
(May 23, 2010 at 10:05 am)Dotard Wrote: If the pope fails to provide for his own security and gets whacked, is he partly responsible for the crime committed against him?Big Grin
Groan.... Smile
No, he's not, unless the whacker turns out to be someone who was once raped by either the pope or a priest he covered for, in which case, I would say, yes, the pope is partly responsible, if not almost fully.
Quite obviously the expense involved to the uk taxpayer is obscene and a scandal, particularly under the current austerity measures which are about to be let rip on the population.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
Quote:What do they need to pay for security for?

[Image: funny-picture-1142018091.jpg]
(May 23, 2010 at 10:05 am)Dotard Wrote: I don't understand why it needs to cost the UK anything.

The UK is a free country. It doesn't cost them a penny when I go to visit. What do they need to pay for security for? This is God's right hand man. If he gets whacked, it was God's will was it not? Shouldn't security be handled by God?

If the pope fails to provide for his own security and gets whacked, is he partly responsible for the crime committed against him?Big Grin

It's political (votes) and legal:

Political: There a LOT of Catholics in the UK and they vote.

Legal: The Pope is a serving Head Of State. Refusing him any protection, facility or courtesy would be in breach of international law and set a very dangerous precedent.

The treatment the Pope receives is pragmatic,not moral. Relationships between states are ALWAYS quid pro quo at some level.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:Under international law, a serving head of state has sovereign immunity from the jurisdiction of the courts of other countries, though not from that of international tribunals.[52][53][54] This immunity is sometimes loosely referred to as "diplomatic immunity", which is, strictly speaking, the immunity enjoyed by the diplomatic representatives of a head of state.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope
Quote:The Pope is a serving Head Of State.

He should be arrested for protecting pedophiles (at the least) as soon as he steps foot on English soil.

Of course, that would require a perfect world.
Quote:He should be arrested for protecting pedophiles (at the least) as soon as he steps foot on English soil.

Heads of State have full diplomatic immunity and cannot be arrested. (Judge Geoffrey Robertson QC would bee acutely aware of that fact.Highly unlikely he ever said anything about arresting the Pope.)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you could rid the world... FredTheLobster 33 3304 June 29, 2021 at 11:02 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  How far reaching are God's powers? Fake Messiah 332 17792 November 25, 2020 at 3:14 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Who goes to hell - as far as those pious Bible Christians are concerned? Dundee 71 6575 June 14, 2020 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Far right Catholic group worried about being banned. Jehanne 14 1955 August 24, 2018 at 9:08 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  The believer seems to know god better than he knows himself Foxaèr 43 8085 June 2, 2018 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Better terminology for "Father and Son" ? vorlon13 258 60307 October 13, 2017 at 10:48 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Could I sue my religion over this? Won2blv 21 3314 October 8, 2017 at 8:18 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  So It Seems That This Jesus Freak Corporation's Religious Beliefs Only Go So Far Minimalist 11 2167 July 6, 2017 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Could God's creation be like His omniscience? Whateverist 19 5974 May 18, 2017 at 2:45 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Another "how could any intelligent woman be a Christian?" thread drfuzzy 17 2837 September 14, 2016 at 10:19 pm
Last Post: Cecelia